Thread: classic cars?

Post Thanks / Like

classic cars?

am not a professional detailer---just like to wash/wax cars by hand, have no buffing equipment.. am wondering--my sister/ husband just got a 57 Chevy corvette, turquoise in color..convertible , -- It`s beautiful.. I`ve never washed or waxed a car from that era.. Can I just use BF or McGuiars products on that also? thanks for any advice..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: classic cars?

Yes. You don`t normally run into issues with certain products until you get into the paint correction side of things with those old cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recommend a rinseless or waterless wash for classic cars. It keeps the amount of water that can seep into cracks and crevices to a minimum. Pinnacle and Blackfire have some great rinseless and waterless products. I use them all the time on my 1967 Nova.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I would highly recommend a rinseless or waterless wash for classic cars. It keeps the amount of water that can seep into cracks and crevices to a minimum. Pinnacle and Blackfire have some great rinseless and waterless products. I use them all the time on my 1967 Nova.
    I am with Pat. The clients I have that have older cars (from 1912 thru late `60`s) prefer me not using a water hose on them. A rinseless product works great. There are so many places that collect water on them, they don`t want to take the chance of creating rust.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: classic cars?

thanks for the advice,, I`ll go water free on their car,, appreciate your help folks..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Yes. You don`t normally run into issues with certain products until you get into the paint correction side of things with those old cars.
    X2. I do a lot of older car work also and getting the history of the finish is important, as you could be dealing with anything from old-school air-dried lacquers and enamels to modern baked urethanes.

I also agree with using primarily rinseless washes unless the thing is a barn find with years and years of dirt and critter droppings to deal with. Most older vehicles have perished or ineffective weatherstripping, so even moderate hose pressure can get water into unwanted places.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by softoa View Post
    am not a professional detailer---just like to wash/wax cars by hand, have no buffing equipment.. am wondering--my sister/ husband just got a 57 Chevy corvette, turquoise in color..convertible , -- It`s beautiful.. I`ve never washed or waxed a car from that era.. Can I just use BF or McGuiars products on that also? thanks for any advice..
    Old car does not mean old paint. Has it been repainted ?. What type of paint, enamel, lacquer etc., was it clear coated. You will need these answers eventually. Original paint would have been lacquer ( single stage, no clear coat).

Dave

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned it would be good to know what paint system you have. Do you get color transfer when you rub with a cleaner wax or polish?
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

They just received the vehicle,, paint is original, never repainted... so, like Dave wrote---no clear coat then for a 57. They told me they know detailers who will work on it for them sometime.. -- So, all I will do is wash/ wax it at random.. That`s good for me. !! thank you everyone.. softoa.

Post Thanks / Like

Read this article:
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&highlight=M07
    You can accomplish a lot on old paint without a machine with just some OTC Meguiar`s #7 and some wax.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Bill for the article.. Their car luckily already looks brand new---shiny, clean, previous owner must have taken good care of it.. great articles, read the first two, and will save it.. soft oa..

Thread Information