Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What camera do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Thank you all for the great replies. From the sound of it, a DSLR is the way to go for high res pics. I asked my friend who is a pro photographer what she uses, and she said it was a $3500 Canon 5D Mark II, so I didnt question into them much after that. It seems some of them are reasonably priced. Im planning to one day put a nice website together, and dont want low quality pics or anything for that matter going into it. Thanks again for the replies..keep them coming
    Regardless of the camera you get, it really comes down to how well you know how to use it. Perhaps a local photo store or community college has a class you can take. A professional with a $200 dollar Point N Shoot is going to blow away an amatuer with a $4000 DSLR with a $2000 lens.

Post Thanks / Like

^ That. Know-how over hardware.

One of the most offensive things you can say to a photographer is "Wow, that`s a good photo! You must have a really nice camera."
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

If you get s DSLR you are going to have to put some time into learning how to use it. Dont get your hopes up thinking you are going to get amazing photos right from the start. Once you learn to use it you will though! If you dont have the time or really want to learn how a camera works you are probably better off with a point and shoot. They have much less buttons and options. You also dont have to worry about what lens, flash, ect to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a great answer to this question on NAPP the other day.
    All the camera`s out today make great pictures.

1) go to someplace like Best Buy and handle all of the camera`s they
    have and see what feels good in YOUR hands. It it does not feel good
    to you you will not use it as much.

2) Get what your friends have so you can borrow their lens.

Post Thanks / Like

I can take fairly decent pics, but have never used a DSLR. Ive been detailing and taking pics of my work for many years, so Im no stranger to that aspect of it. Im far from being a pro, and have no intentions of becoming one, bur I think with some of the suggestions I can find one thats right for me. Thanks a lot guys

Post Thanks / Like

If this is all your going to use this for, buy a decent point and shoot. Get one with as many different settings as you can find, that will help creating the great photo you are after. The second thing that goes into a quality high res. photo is the # of mega pixals. Buy one with the highest mega pixals you can get or afford, because by the time you get it home and use it, they will come out with one that has even more. After this, then you need to learn a softwear progam, like photoshop elements, to edit and resize your images. Huge images saved to your compute don`t work well on web pages, they take to long to load. Most images that are uploaded to web pages from my experience look good and are less than 1meg in size. The photo`s after I edit and resize at home tend to be between 3 and 6 Meg each. If you care to look at my web page, the pictures in the 2011-2012 Hockey folder are all about 1meg in size each, where as the rest of pictures in the other folders are of the larger sizes. So look and see if you can tell the difference on your computer.
    Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Cannon 1d Mark IIN

Love it...

Post Thanks / Like

Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

i don`t post pics here but i use a canon 1DS cuz i like full frame. for telephoto far away pics i use a canon xti with a 1.6 frame. a good camera for what you need might be a G10 or G11. look at ebay and see what they run as the G12 is the newest iteration of these type of cameras. the G series is like a cross between a slr and a point and shoot. canon is what i use so thats all i can speak on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Nikon D90 that I really like but I also have a Canon S95 that I picked up for more mobility.

The Canon S95 is pocket size but full manual control and raw. It takes decent pics at lower ISO`s but overexposes with flash but can be compensated. I find it more difficult to hold as steady (too light?) as my Nikon.

My experience was Nikons made great bodies (constructions, ergonomics, great ISO performance) but Canon had the lens collection strength but Canon`s bodies feel better than in the past.

However, you need to decide works in your hands and more intuitive to you.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a shot from an old Canon 20D with my 100mm Macro. You can find these on eBay for pretty cheap. Since it`s a pro body it will last a life time and it`s more then what you need to take pictures of details you do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little 14MP Samsung for light use. A few months ago I purchased a Nikon D70 secondhand on ebay. I couldn`t see spending a fortune for a DSLR that would only be used on special occasions. The Nikon turned out to be an excellent buy and does so much more than the litle Samsung.

BTW....Some great photos posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Canon SLR 350

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a D7000 with a sigma 24-70 f2.8 and it is SOOOO much better than even a good point and shoot. Yes you need to understand the concept of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO but that is pretty easy. yes you can put it on auto, but creativity is much less in that mode. The lense is a huge factor in the outcome of the photo....

The d5100 has the same processor, but a bit less in price.

Cheers,
    GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for great information and input. Great pics as well. I definitely have a lot to think about and Ive been scouring eBay and Amazon all night. Ihave think Im gonna hit Wal Mart and Best Buy over the weekend and get a feel for what they have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information