Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing for ever, new to running a shop

So I`ve been detailing cars for a long time, and in august was asked to manage and run a new shop. Everything has going really well for the most part except when it comes to cars that are really messed up. I use to have no problem explaining to a customer that they needed correction instead of a "detail" but at this location our price points are already pretty high for the area so I keep ending up spending entirely to much time and going above in beyond because well its a brand new shop and I see it as need to build a reputation. For some of you out there that have experience with this am I shooting my self in the foot? I don`t want to disapoint customers but at same time I dont really want spend 15 hours on someone`s paint that paid for a 5 hour job. Thank you any advice would be greatly recieved

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing for ever, new to running a shop

Thanks for wanting to do the best possible job each and every time.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are at a price point that only allows X amount of work = time into the Detail packages you sell, and you are going to have to just set the Client`s expectations accordingly, and do just that amount of work.

If you continue to give them way more than they are paying for, they will always expect it and you are going to be caught up in that endless loop.

Or, if you choose to voluntarily give your hard work and products away for way less money, then eventually you and your bookkeeper are going to have a very long, hard, talk about this at fiscal year end.

Perhaps you can see about building up a separate, custom restoration priceline at this shop, for those that understand and are willing to pay more for the better results.
    Maybe you should talk to the Owner about introducing this into your business model?

It is great to want to do the absolute best each and every time, we pretty much all want to do that - otherwise, why would we want to be the best Detailers??

But at some point, you have to be realistic about your and your shop`s time and cost of products, salaries, overhead, etc., vs the current priceline already established. Is it coming out good at the end of the year? Or is it hardly much in the till, for hundreds, etc., of hours and big $$$ for products ?

What do YOU really want to have happen at the end of the day?

Good luck with this - have also struggled with the same questions and still do at times.

Dan F

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of what Dan said is very true. It hard to explain to people sometimes (because your trying to set the bar higher). I know you don`t want them to think you can`t give them what they want.
    Taking the time to explain what can and can`t be done at a certain price is well worth it.
    I have offered people a progressive correction. I explain how at "x" this much can be fixed. Then the next detail will improve this much more. It`s just basically breaking it up price wise. This also gives me an idea the next time how well they take care of the paint.
    As far as the interior when they are trashed it`s hard to find a place to stop. It just needs to be explained extra work= extra time.
    You may be able to offer a focused package and direct attention where they want it most. It will give you time to show your work and more likely they will come back to do the other right.
    They key is good communication before and after. Have you thought of giving them before and after shots? It has helped me at times remind them of how much a difference was made. You don`t need to spend much time just hit the overall key points.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I do go into depth of explaining and before after pics I litterally have 1400 or so. It just when people call I have a great ratio of closing over the phone like high 90% but it`s when the vehicle shows up no matter how many questions I ask and how much information I got out of them on the phone some are just horrible and it seems soon I see it I try to judge and probe for expectations and then I try to quote accordingly, this is when I get a a shocked reaction its like they just don`t believe that It could possibly take 10 hours and I only have this happen on call ins, Walk ins its never a problem but I spent 35 hours from friday to sunday on a black tahoe because i quoted over the phone, then when I called customer to tell him this was gonna need way more than normal detail covers he went off on me bait and switch this blah blah, so I did it anyway and now he is truely a raving fan gave me a hug and everything when he picked it up. I still didnt feel great about it lol. So is there anything you guys do in that situation because its like the 6th time its happen, which its not alot but when it does well obviously my hands are tied from doing much else. Thanks agian for listening n advice

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Jsmooth --

We are glad to help !

I know, too well, the situation you talk about above. The Client`s description of the paint is NEVER close to the reality of it. We all know that, right ?

What I do is always, always, try to not quote a price on the phone, since I have not personally seen the vehicle, and need to evaluate it closer and measure the paint to give them the most accurate quote and timeframe for the work.
    It they balk at that, then they were just price shopping anyway, and probably looking for the best "deal"..

We all know that probably 95% of our Clients dont know a hologram from a telegram, so trying to explain this all on the phone is probably competing with them playing Angry Birds while not listening very well anyway..

So, perhaps find a way to pique their interest more - offer a free paint condition evaluation/measurement when they come down and meet you, look at your shop, and then you can give them a Custom Package tailored to exactly their needs based on the amount they now want to spend..

I never had good results with phone quotes either - there are just too many variables stacked against you for this to ever work out successfully. You literally have to have crystal ball or something to see their paint condition...

Or, if you cannot get away from closing on the phone calls, then quote way higher than you are doing and if they still want to come, you are covered better when you see they have been hitting the brush/chamois-slapper/kid with dirty towels wiper/ car wash for years...

So, are you just managing this shop and not working or doing both?? Do you have help??

Dan F

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I quit doing phone quotes altogether. I`ll give a high and low if that. I also put a timeline on daily drivers. I`ve had people come back a month later after seeing the vehicle. It then looks like they stored monkeys, rented it out to vagrants and camped in it for a month. Then they want the same price.

The best I can relate it to is going to a high end specialized restaurant. You know when you call reservations are required or they tell you. They serve quality food. The key is a good waiter or waitress. They know the menu. They can tell you about anything on it. You many times spend more money than you first thought based on their suggestions. (upsell) You liked what you got and had a good experience. Will you go back? Yes if you are in the mood for a perfect dinner. Do it always? Maybe not but it will be where you refer people to and go when you want it right. This is why many high end places still survive. You know what you are going to get.

Word of mouth is what brings in the people willing to pay for your services. It does take time. If you sell yourself too far short for people who are "shopping" you`ll miss the people who are looking for you.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

When I was really building a reputation detailing I felt like I was going above and beyond on every detail. Taking a 4 inch pad and polishing out impossible to see lips on the bumpers or making sure every square inch of the paint is polished to perfect, door jambs even.

The reality is I was over delivering my services. 3 months later I would see the same car and it would be trashed again and they may expect the same level of service for the `low` price I had done it for.

Today I fully embrace the idea of giving the customer what they want but I am very careful to listen to their expectations. This has turned into a win-win situation.

Then again I never wanted to have a shop because I felt the added overhead would put too much pressure on me and put me in the situation you are in. I will continue to check in on this thread and hope more advice continues to flow from the great minds on this board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Jsmooth --

We are glad to help !

I know, too well, the situation you talk about above. The Client`s description of the paint is NEVER close to the reality of it. We all know that, right ?

What I do is always, always, try to not quote a price on the phone, since I have not personally seen the vehicle, and need to evaluate it closer and measure the paint to give them the most accurate quote and timeframe for the work.
    It they balk at that, then they were just price shopping anyway, and probably looking for the best "deal"..

We all know that probably 95% of our Clients dont know a hologram from a telegram, so trying to explain this all on the phone is probably competing with them playing Angry Birds while not listening very well anyway..

So, perhaps find a way to pique their interest more - offer a free paint condition evaluation/measurement when they come down and meet you, look at your shop, and then you can give them a Custom Package tailored to exactly their needs based on the amount they now want to spend..

I never had good results with phone quotes either - there are just too many variables stacked against you for this to ever work out successfully. You literally have to have crystal ball or something to see their paint condition...

Or, if you cannot get away from closing on the phone calls, then quote way higher than you are doing and if they still want to come, you are covered better when you see they have been hitting the brush/chamois-slapper/kid with dirty towels wiper/ car wash for years...

So, are you just managing this shop and not working or doing both?? Do you have help??

Dan F
    Yeah I think I`m going to start doing this thank you, and yeah I have help but not the kinda i`ll let pick up a buffer or polisher, I gave up on finding someone else who can buff/polish we all know in an interview "OH I`m the fastest detailer ever I worked at high volume car wash and can cut and polish a car in 30 min"..... Ummm yeah i`ll get back to you on that lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    When I was really building a reputation detailing I felt like I was going above and beyond on every detail. Taking a 4 inch pad and polishing out impossible to see lips on the bumpers or making sure every square inch of the paint is polished to perfect, door jambs even.

The reality is I was over delivering my services. 3 months later I would see the same car and it would be trashed again and they may expect the same level of service for the `low` price I had done it for.

Today I fully embrace the idea of giving the customer what they want but I am very careful to listen to their expectations. This has turned into a win-win situation.

Then again I never wanted to have a shop because I felt the added overhead would put too much pressure on me and put me in the situation you are in. I will continue to check in on this thread and hope more advice continues to flow from the great minds on this board.
    Yeah I`m with ya, I did my own thing in my garage for ever with a list of about 7 client with 60 cars between them, then one of them of asked me about opening a shop(kinda funny it`s right by his house I think he got tired of driving 20 min to mine everytime he needed a car wash) The money was right so I said why not, I`m only use to doing perfect if it takes 20 min or 20 days gotta be right or it`s not done so I`m getting some personal confliction here when I just know it could be better. But at same time this is different I`m not charging by the hour for people who are all to willing to pay it. We have a 35$ "full service wash" that I get people bocking at all the time, could care less if the water is deionized or grit gaurds or new wash mits ect.. only that its 5$ more than machine one up the street. Well I`ll keep plugging away lol I think this phone thing will be huge I`ll just high side/low side them if they show up they show up not worth the head ache lol

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t detail for a living but I`ve experienced the same thing in my line of business. I would agree with the above advise, do NOT give a phone quote. Simply say it`s impossible to give you a "fair" quote without personally seeing the condition of the vehicle - as I`m sure you can understand. Besides, you "mr customer" need to tell me the level of service you desire for this detail, as we can do as little or as much as YOU feel appropriate. And guess what, if they`re simply shopping price, they probably won`t come by but if they`re looking for a quality job, that individual will appreciate your honesty in not giving a low ball number.

A high/low number might be ok, but I think I would stay away from any number, other then a minimum. "For a simple wash, our services start at $x.xx and go up there depending on the desired final product." But again, no number is probably the best approach since you really do need to evaluate his ride. FWIW.

Thread Information