Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aircraft Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    foxbrookdtl---

Well,sounds like you are getting closer to pulling the trigger on this !

Here some more things I thought about ------
    Airplanes have millions of rivets and rivet heads sticking up. If they are painted, you have to be careful when buffing over them that you dont take the paint off the tops.
    Also, some edges especially around the Flaps will catch the edges of your pads, so watch out for that.
    And has already been stated, automobile products work fine, its still paint (hopefully), yes, it is an airplane grade urethane, it might not ever get really mirror like clear like the cars you do, but it can be improved most of the time. It its been baked too long for too many years in the sun,, well, it might not respond very well.

I remember reading a post one day, somewhere from a guy who worked an an airport doing something else, and he said he would go by the airplane Detailers hangar, and they would be compounding the heck out of aircraft, using rotary power, wool pads, and they would not even take the time to clean them. They would use them up, then throw them away. This guy would come by later and take these new/used pads, clean them up and now has hundreds of them !

You might consider using what I like to use as much as possible, the Lake Country Purple Foam Wool. Its not as sturdy as a big honking wool pad, but it cuts pretty darn good, finishes really nice, and doesnt explode so much wool fibers everywhere.. Just a thought...

Meguiars 105 works great in my experience; you have to get by the initial ("I dont want to work now") whine it gives you with perhaps a spray detailer or water, and then it settles down and does a great job in my experiences. Try to not get it to the dusting phase, because, remember, it all has to be removed from the aircraft and the floor.

My personal method for rotary work on aircraft is not to run high speeds, keep it at the lower end, around 900-1000 perhaps, and try to find a good balance between cutting/correcting quickly, and not damaging rivet heads, and dusting, blowing pad material all over heck and gone.. You will find your own rhythm after a bit; you will be fine.

Depending on the paint if painted, you may need to clarify if more with something like the sister, Meguiars 205, and as you know, its way way, easier to use.

Your LSP can be whatever you find that works best for the Clilent`s needs from your own Inventory, unless he wants you to buy some "Aircraft, Boeing, etc., Certified" wax, etc..

I have great success with Menzerna PowerLock on Airplanes. It looks great, stays a long time, and gives great protection, easy to apply and remove..

If you can do a re-con run over there, to get an idea of the condition of the skin, it will greatly help you plan for the next phase...

It sounds like perhaps, they might have all the ladders, platforms, etc., that you will need, hopefully..... Stand up next to the highest points, the tail and the top of the aircraft, and see what size equipment you will need to get up there and over from either side...

If you have a partner/helper, that is about as good as you or the same, then the worktime may be cut in half !! Instead of a week, maybe half a week !

Good luck, see if he will take you for a spin, weather permitting, etc.. These little planes are fast !!! Oh, and they crash a lot too! Be careful !!!!!!!

DanF
    Dan you have always been so responsive and helpful to other forum members and have never held back information. I just wanted to thank you for being one of many reasons that AutopiaForums is a great place to hang out!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan pretty much covered the high points... one thing that hasn`t been mentioned, you asked about what to put on the boots? BF Goodrich will refuse to honor their warranty on any deicing boots that have been treated with anything other than ICEX. A guy I know found out the hard (expensive) way when he tried to cheap out with Armor All or some such unsuitable crap.

More food for thought... airplanes have a ton of rivets and seams, have a horsehair toothbrush handy. Maybe two, you may wear one out. However much time you think it`ll take you, double it and charge accordingly. Whether high or low wing your arms will get to the point of feeling like they`re going to fall off doing the underside of wings.

Unless I was paid a ridiculously exhorbitant amount in an air conditioned hanger without time constraints I`d never do another one.

TL

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd -

Well, you are welcome !

Hope you are doing ok from your Surgery today ! It`s amazing that you were "under the knife" earlier and now you are at work !!! You are one tough hermano ! I am proud of you !

Thanks for the comment - I am glad to have found my way to a great bunch of people that are associated with AutopiaForms ! Had always been taught and learned that one of the great things we can leave in this world is someone or many, who learned from our experiences and move the bar farther and higher. It`s pretty much self perpetuating once its gets going and we all keep giving it regular input.

Mark,----------
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things - great job ! And if it brings you more business, and you want to do it, it can be great ! All Pilots talk about - yeah their planes! Once your company name gets out there, it might just take off and you will have a lot of work.
    I have a couple I can do annually if I want, and more if I want from referrals. It is just long, detailed, hard work, not for the faint of heart.

Glad TL chimed in - yes, bring a few small brushes to clean out seams, etc, around rivet heads, places where compound might get stuck in. And you will wear out a bunch of things, so good idea to bring back up.
    If you are a "I love challenges" kind of guy, then this will definitely take it up a notch.

I have pics of the last Cessna twin color custom painted aircraft somewhere, If I can find them, will post them up too!

Good luck, eat your Wheaties before you go, ok ??
    Dan F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information