Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    now I`m not trying to start a religious war but I don`t recall ever seeing this detail posted. what I`m looking for is the basic reasoning to choose one over the other.

I`ve read most of the recent threads on MF towels and realize that they are great as are 100% USA cotton towels.

assuming top quality MF towels and top quality 100% USA towels, the only difference I can come up with is that the MF towels are cheaper if you take advantage of a group buy (assuming sale price at your local store on the towels).

neither towel scratches the finish and both types should last a long time with reasonable care. both absorb very well (perhaps MF gets a slight edge).

what else is there?

Post Thanks / Like
    MF won`t scratch like cotton can

Post Thanks / Like
    but it`s not the cotton that can scratch but rather a poorly made towel or dirty towel. this can affect both MF and 100% USA cotton, correct?

notice that I do specifically mention <span class=`bbc_underline`>quality 100% USA cotton towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed that with a 100% charisma towel when I QD my Zaino finish it mares the surface slightly.I had always used cotton and just started tring MF towels a few months ago.When I use the MF`s I do not get this scratching effect with these and the charisma`s are only a month or so older than the MF`s.This is just my opinon I am sure others will have something to add.

Post Thanks / Like
    MF`s are more absorbant and easier to work with.

I use both- cotton for an initial wipe and MF for the final wipe. Cotton gets most of the wax/polymer off, and the MF gets the remainder. Why not use two MF`s? Cotton is more absorbant at first. Think of cotton as a paint roller, and MF as a paint brush. Cotton is better for big jobs, while MF is better for finishing touches.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like
    Quality cotton towels (I prefer Fieldcrest Charisma) and quality MF are both great. Basically I use both, but for different purposes. I like removing wax with the cotton, doing windows with cotton, quick detailing with MF, interior with MF, etc. Try both, I`m sure you`ll easily find out which you like best for different jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    once you use one you`ll understand...that`s a fact!

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy using cotton a lot more. They are easier to take care of, they slide along your car better and they are cheaper than MF. But even with very light pressure, I notice marring on my Z`d coats, so I`m pretty much relegated to MFs...which certainly aren`t a bad second choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    good description of the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    31st, I should also add that buffing with cotton is easier...at least for me. It takes very little effort to buff out sealant using charismas. What did you use on your initial Z coat(s)?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the top of the line Filedcrests that were on sale at mervyns at 40% off. apparently towel companys do the same thing that the mattress companies do. they offer 99% identical products at different stores under different model names. these fieldcrests are apparently the same ones that macys sells as their top of the line fieldcrest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in there with Dude and InterM, cotton removes BF, SG and now Zaino with less effort.

I still QD with MF on SG and Carnubas, but I use cotton for all my Zaino work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a different opinion. I don`t think a good quality cotteon terry will scratch the car, nor will MF. A spec of dirt under EITHER certainly will.

Because we can`t completely control what lands on our car, even immediately after a wash, I think a fundamental goal should always be "maximum effect (drying, residue removal) with minimum wiping." <strong class=`bbc`>MF wins hands down[/b] here.

To prove it to yourself, just try drying a steamy bathroom mirror with terry. You wipe, and you wipe, and you wipe. It keeps leaving micro-streaks behind until you wipe a LONG time. Now (I`ll explain in a second) make one pass with the terry. Don`t even wipe - just press it up against the mirror to get rid of most of the moisture - and then wipe with a microfiber towel. DRY - in ONE PASS. Now - why blot with terry first? Because MF only does this when it is pretty dry, and it doesn`t work well once it absorbs much water. So when i dry, I BLOT with terry, (no wiping=no scratching) and then wipe ONCE with MF. Voila. (By the way, feel free to conduct this test on your paint - you WILL get the same results.)

When you`re buffing, particularly on a darker car with any product that has any oils (pretty much any wax, glaze or polish) you will see the same "micro-streaking" with terry. More wiping does nothing but push it around on the paint, and risks scratching. One pass with MF - no streaks.

MF is the best, and except for washing dirty lower areas or blot-drying, terry never touches my paint any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to drying after a wash, I`d agree. The absorbant props of MF win hands down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like the fact that microfibers are so expensive, I`ll buy them when the "hype" is gone and they are priced like they are a peice of normal cloth, not a bar of gold.

Cotton works perfect for me, I don`t get ANY swirls or scratches and they are alot cheaper. I also like the fact that they are really thick and soft compared to these wafer thin microfibers that go for so much money. Sure, they have the microfiber towels but how expensive are those.

For now cotton is awesome for the price, when microfiber is thicker and cost ALOT less I`ll buy some, right now they are just "hype" to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information