Hello to everyone. I am not an auto detailer but came here hoping your expertise would help me. I have an 18 ft Stingray boat that I am going to put a wide stripe on. It will be installed below the rubrail and will run from bow to stern. The bow and stern measurments from rub rail to the first rib of the boat are 8 inches. The center of the boat has a measurement of 11 inches from the rail to the rib. I could very easily stick an 8 inch piece across the boat following the rub rail but when stingray does it they follow the rib. My question is this.....Is there a way to accurately run the vinyl long past this rib and then cut it say a half inch above the rib? I thought about hooking my finger under the rib and following along with an exacto knife but I am not sure about staying accurate. I didn`t know how the pros would do it and thought there may be a tool or tecnique to it. Also is there some kind of backing paper I would use behind the vinyl to avoid cutting into the gel coat? Any help you may offer would be greatly appreciated? The material I have is reflective Oracel 5300 and it is 24 inches wide.
Thanks again.
Mike