Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a pro mobile detailing business in So Cal and MF towels really are worth the money- they are that much better than cotton, and I have been doing this for years. I pretty much only use MF towels. They are 100% better for removing wax and doing windows and they leave no lint which is a huge plus.

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally avoid "QDing sessions" because I believe the less I wipe the surface, the less swirls I will get, and I have noticed this to be true. I wash weekly, or more, if I can. I mainly use QD when I buff off wax or polish, and I have noticed that a good, lubricated MF is less likely to give swirls. I use Royal Velvet cotton towels (great, great towels) for blot drying the car, and they work very well.
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using micro fiber towels for quite a few years now. When they first started being sold they were through the MLM companies and sold for $20.00 for a small cloth (Trasan). There was a lot of hype then. Now there are micro fiber towels out that sell for a buck a piece. I think the price has settled down to a reasonable cost for what you get. There are very good, high quality mf towels for about $5.00 that will outperform cotton in many areas and will last longer than cotton. Not saying cotton doesn`t have it`s uses, but most people who try a good mf towel will see the immediate benefits of adding them to their arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Royal Velvet towels as well, I really like them. I`m not saying that microfibers stink, I`m just saying they are too expensive. Which leads me to my next question ......

Prinz, where are you getting these microfiber towels for 1.00, I`m interested now :-)

Are they any good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link to the 25 cloths for $25 + $5 p&h. http://tidycloth.com/ The cloths are lower end and the size is only 8 1/2 x 11. If you are looking for cheap cloths, these will do. I`m not going to buy anymore though.

I`ve been buying towels from neatitems for the last couple of years. I get together some friends and we buy a 100+ at a time to get the wholesale price, just like some of the members are doing here on the abay forum. By ordering them with some local friends we don`t have the double shipping costs so our price works out to about $2.60 for a 15" x 15" quality mf towel. Next order I`m going to try some of their 24" x 24" size. I`ve been really happy with the 24" x 46" size but the wife won`t let me use her bath towel on the cars. I also tried using her mf hair turban on the car, but she started complaining about the headaches from going over the hood ornament.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that IS funny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well keep me posted regarding the microfibers, I may want to get a few to try them out.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    they both can have their advantages

but in certain cases that I find one better than other (and I`m only going to list some of the instances where IMO mf is better, duh )

-wiping down your dash lint free (cotton lints white)

-wiping your instrument panel scratch free (cotton on clear plastic)

-wiping your wood trim, chrome trim and plastic

-cleaning interior windows and mirror (a spritz of water and 1 towel and it shines without chemicals lint free)

-mf towels can last for months and up to 300 washes if taken care of

-drying a car

-once you find a supplier you like it should remain consitant or comparable

-decreases chances of scratching during quick detailing

-dust pickup in general (use a cotton cloth and you need something like Pledge) use a mf and you don`t even need water.

with any towel cotton or mf it`s about quality and trying to keep the quality consistent, that`s the most difficult part
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always been told to avoid anything not made in the USA. Even MF towels that are made over seas. What is the opinon on that? A guy I buy Zaino from sells DF towells. They are no doubt great, but how do they compare to say a Mequiars Ultra Soft Terry Cloth MF towel or Mequiars MF regular towell that are made in china? Is this really that much of an issue? I just can`t see the Mequiars MF towels scratching the paint just bc they are not 100% made in the USA cotton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Buster, you really dug up an old thread.

The car enthusiast world has learned a lot in the past 2-3 years. If you want to know more, you might start here: http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=44

As with anything, you get what you pay for. There are 100% cotton Made in the USA towels that are junk... and you will finf junk microfiber from China and Korea.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link! Great read.

Post Thanks / Like
    Microfiber is much more absorbent due to higher surface area and higher "porosity" (not exactly the right word).

Compare the fabrics to soils:

Clay soils are comprised of very small particles (think of tiny MF fibers). They have tons of microscopic pore space (like MF) and can pull large amounts of water upward by capillary action. They also hold water very well.

Sandy soils are comprised of relatively large particles (think of large cotton fibers). They have larger pores, and cannot hold as much water, or attract/hold water like clay (MF) can.

If you go outside after a heavy rain, you`ll find that any sand you pick up will weigh about the same as when you pick it up a week later after no rain at all. The clay, however, will be very heavy due to all the water it`s holding onto.

Also, the more surface area, the more charges are on the fibers to attract and hold water.

Holy cow I just realized how old this thread was!
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sneezing over here from all the dust kicked up by unearthing this old thread. Although, it was interesting reading the "fear of something new" in some of these old threads. It`s amazing how most people cling to old habits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man I haven`t been on here in months.

I can`t even remember responding to this thread.

Hilllllllarious.

:woot:

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are as many `weave variations` in MF towels as there are in pure cotton towels.

Plush is good for paint care... wax removal, etc. Flat nap is great for windows...

I`ve been lucky enough to have had a client (Celadon/Calderon) who is a MAJOR textile importer. He`s given me samples of of some cool towels that most of us won`t see for years. He`s also given me interesting insights; Costco cares only about price - won`t listen to the quality story... On the other hand, Walmart/Sam`s needs demos,facts, analysis, etc.

No mention here recently of the "CD Test" (SEARCH), the "Burn Test" (SEARCH).

FYI, in volume (150), I pay $1.82 (each, including tax & shipping) for very nice MF Towels.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information