Thread: Chamois

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been following the activity here for a few months and after much (re)Search and David’s book I may be ready to ask a few questions.

Background: I’ve mainly used 3M IHG (twice a year) and OGBW (weekly during the warmer months) on my (metalic) black 97 Porsche C4S (which I have had since it was new). My technique was not bad for a pre-Autopian: foam applicator pads (wax applied with fingers) cotton diapers & detailing cloths (no MF!). But 5 years wash (Sonax or P21S) and wear has taken its toll. Oh, car is covered in the garage during the week (cover washed every 3 months), goes out only on weekends and says home in bad weather.

So, I’ve blown a fortune – Autopians know the disease – and I’m ready for my new detailing obsession. This weekend is the big roll-out on Heaven (the Porsche). I’ve practiced with the PC and the SM2.0 (my weapon of choice after following the commentary on this site) on my mother-in-law’s car (she’s a real sport!). I have FI-II in reserve, but I don’t think I’ll need it (we’ll see).

Now, finally, my question. Does the IHG fit in any more? Should I use machine glaze (3MMG) with my emerging PC talent? Do I skip the glaze and go right to wax (I’ve taken advantage of the Autopian sale and sprung for the PS – which I’ll be anxious to compare next to the OGBW, which I’ve liked better than the P21S). I figure I might skip the glaze because I’ll have no more swirls (ha-ha), but we’ll see. So is it IHG or 3MMG or none.

I don’t want to use a sealant cycle yet until I understand more about it taking to Porsche paint. I’ve heard conflicting reports on this and I want to do more research before diving-in. Though it sounds like some other Autopian Porsche owners have had great results!

Oh yes, I’ve made sure the digital camera has full charge and extra batteries so I can report back. Only thing I still need to pick up before the war starts is the halogen work light – great idea!

David, your C2S (?) is my inspiration. I hope I can do as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on what she looks like, I use cleaner, 3m swirl remover for dark cars Machine glaze, all with rotary or PC. Then Souveran by hand.. ...with MF towels...(other car get Klasse).

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Your plan sounds about right.

I would

1. Wash

2. Clay if needed

3. SMR with PC

4. Wax (you can glaze with 3M IHG if you want)

Where in NYC are you located? I have a can of Souveran you can try out to compare to P21s and Blitz (saw a Black Porshe near Fort Hamilton Army base, around 101st street and Shore road.)

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by daudley [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I figure I might skip the glaze because I’ll have no more swirls (ha-ha), but we’ll see. So is it IHG or 3MMG or none.[/b]</blockquote>
    The IHG and 3MMG (3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Machine Glaze) are used for different things. IHG is to help with the shine and the MG is used to remove swirls.

The 2.0 is both a light swirl-remover and also helps with the shine (like IHG), so using IHG before OGBW (like Jason said) is optional if you decide to use the 2.0.

Jason, wow, first a bottle of EFCP and now some Souveran...all in one day. You are quite the Autopian!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony,

I would let the EFCP go since I don`t use it, but seeing the black Porsche in NYC, why not let him try out the wax, and I really want to see this black beauty in person

I will never let my Souveran go, I need it for my shoes

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason: will-do with the wash (Sonax); will check for clay, but think I`m good there. Love your offer of the Souveran, but just had some delivered from the CMA Autopians sale. Fort Hamilton Porsche wasn`t mine, though I haven`t checked the garage this week...you don`t think...this being NYC and all...that someone might...take the car...

Not sure if the machine glaze I have is the 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze refered to. Mine says 3M Imperial Machine Glaze, part 05991. Seems similar to 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, just the machine product -- hence my question/confusion. So I`ll see what it looks like after the 2.0 and decide what to do. Then, use IHG or IMG or save them for later in the Summer.

Maybe Jason can check my work next week. I think there are still some Staten Island tourist visa`s available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Daudley, I was referring to PN #05937. I guess what you have is different.

Post Thanks / Like

Chamois

I have a couple of 100% Rayon chamois. Is there any reason why I shouldn`t use this in lieu of a micro-fiber one, if that`s what a majority is recommending.
    ?The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!?

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard or seen a rayon chamois- knew all about English Leather ones back in the day and were only used to wipe windshields, glass, dry after cleaning.
    Would have to suppose that Rayon would be somewhat abrasive and scratch paint.
    I personally use air to blow dry as much water off vehicles as possible and then finish with a very soft, absorbent microfiber cloth/s. I also like to use a quick detailer spray at this point, to help dry with less friction, and leave a little layer of protection on the painted surfaces.

DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using the ones sold on GlisteningPerfection.com, which I`d highly suggest.

They don`t leave streaks of water and you can machine wash them. I bought a variety of GP microfiber towels from them and although they may be "microfiber" they are nothing like the microfiber junk in the retail stores. It`s amazing how soft they are. I should have taken interior before and after on my Volvo V50 T5 that`s my daily driver. It`s not only the look but the overall feel of the interior is night and day.

They`re also machine washable. I do interior towels in one load, exterior in another etc. I use a minimal amount of detergent only on delicate mode and low heat and delicate in the dryer. They come out looking good as new.

I would like to get a good air dryer, but for now these work better than I could have ever expected. I`ve really never dried a car so quickly. They`re more expensive than a normal chamois, but they really are that good.

Post Thanks / Like
    me too have only heard of leather chamois` but i also use stkdgs method of blow drying and wiping with a QD

Thread Information