Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

After lurking around for approx. one month, I must say that this is one of the most expensive sites I have visited. In the last 2 weeks I downloaded the Autopia Guide to Detailing, purchased a PC, bought the CMA buffing pads, Klasse AIO and SG, 3M SMR, Pinnacle Souveran Kit, Lexol leather care kit, clay magic, Dawn and $100.00 worth of MF towels from Neatitems. My project will start on Sunday on my 1985 RUF Porsche 930S after taking the car to Drivers Ed all day on Saturday with PCA (porsche club of america) I have a couple of questions about the washing between coats and procedures. Here`s my plan:

1)Wash car with Dawn

2)Clay the car with Clay Magic

3)Wash the car again with Dawn

4)Apply 3M SMR with PC, white pad.

Question 1, do I wash the car again after SMR if I`m planning to use AIO next ?

5)2x AIO, applied with PC, white pad (remove with MF)

Question 2, do I wash the car before applying SG and if yes, with what ?

6) Multiple coats of SG over the next couple of weeks, applied by hand.

Question 3, since this is a daily driver, will washing with Pinnacle body shampoo harm previous coates of SG before applying another coat ?

7) Top of with coat of Souveran in a couple of weeks.

Last question, should I use the Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion between any of these steps (maybe after SMR but before AIO ?)

8) Keep waxed look with crystal mist once a week.

I appreciate everyone`s responses and promise to post before and after pictures.

Erik

p.s the car is black, and was repainted by prior owner in 2000 with an expensive paintjob and has a clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your plan sounds good. One thing I wanted to point out is that if you get the car looking great with SMR, I would skip AIO, and go right to the SG. Sometimes some minor marring occurs that AIO might help remove, but if you are using SMR with a PC you should be able to get the car looking almost perfect. At this step, I would wash the car again, and go right to SG, no need for more abrasives. Also, PPCL is not necessary either after SMR as long as you are happy with the way the car looks.

You can use Pinnacle car wash with KLASSE and add a a layer of klasse SG whenever you want on a clean car. If you had souveran as a topper I would use a different wash as body work shampoo is harsh and will strip souveran in 1-2 washes. Also you have to dawn wash the car to remove the carnuba before adding more SG on the car.

Hope this helps.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I was not aware that you felt that the Pinnacle Shampoo wasn`t really compatible with a Souveran topper.

I was under the impression that the Pinnacle Shampoo was considered mild and would not strip Souveran.

What shampoo do you feel is a better choice for use with Souveran? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    EOM

Ill have to try some of the tips mentioned in this post

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    whoa, I didn`t know that either. You would think that their shampoo wouldn`t strip thier wax!
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a bit harsh on carnubas, but suds up well, has good cleaning power, and rinses clean. I recommend it for use with sealants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only the initial cost to admission to high-end detailing is expensive in terms of cash. The cash output will steeply decline from this point on and the time expense will greatly increase. Perfection is a difficult goal to obtain in the world of auto detailing.

Have fun with all your new toys and welcome to the forum.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the quick responses guys !!

Detailking, If I decide to use AIO anyway, (have quite a few swirl marks and minor scratches on the car) should I was the car after SMR or will the AIO remove the SMR ?

Thanks again

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    AIO should remove the oils on the car from SMR. I would suggest washing the car though, because these oils have some temporary filling properties. Washing the car after the SMR step will allow you to evaluate the paint finish more accuarately to see if all the scratches and swirls are revoved. AIO probably wont be effective in removing swirls and scratches. It is abrasive though, and all abrasives will marr the finish to some degree, probably finer than your eye can see though. With the amount of prep you are putting into the car, I would skip the AIO and go right to SG for this application. Think about it, if you were a "mothers guy" and going a wax route, after you removed swirls and had the finish looking perfect would you use mothers cleaner wax or pure california gold carnuba? Same deal.........

Post Thanks / Like
    makes sense what you`re saying Detailking, I was following the lineup in "Autopia guide to detailing" but as I stated before, I`m a rookie !!

John Ross, I wouldn`t follow any of these steps until you see the pictures and judge for yourself, I have no clue of what I`m doing

BlkZ28conv, I`ll show your post to my wife, maybe she`ll buy it

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by erik g [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>makes sense what you`re saying Detailking, I was following the lineup in "Autopia guide to detailing" but as I stated before, I`m a rookie !!
    [/b]</blockquote>
    No problem. You are going through some extensive prep though......I think you will be satisfied with the results!

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by erik g [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

Here`s my plan:

1)Wash car with Dawn
    2)Clay the car with Clay Magic
    3)Wash the car again with Dawn
    [/b]</blockquote>
    I don`t think you need to wash before the SMR unless you left a lot of clay residue on the car.

<strong class=`bbc`>
    4)Apply 3M SMR with PC, white pad.

Question 1, do I wash the car again after SMR if I`m planning to use AIO next ?
    [/b]</blockquote>
    No need to wash before the A-I-O.

<strong class=`bbc`>
    5)2x AIO, applied with PC, white pad (remove with MF)
    [/b]</blockquote>
    One coat with A-I-O. Previous coats are removed by subsequent ones.

<strong class=`bbc`>
    Question 2, do I wash the car before applying SG and if yes, with what ?
    [/b]</blockquote>
    No need to wash before the SG unless the car got dirty during the intervening period.

<strong class=`bbc`>
    6) Multiple coats of SG over the next couple of weeks, applied by hand.

Question 3, since this is a daily driver, will washing with Pinnacle body shampoo harm previous coates of SG before applying another coat ?
    [/b]</blockquote>
    I don`t know. I used 1 coat of SG and went immediately to carnauba. Subsequent coats of SG are reputed to enhance the glossiness, but the carnauba clearly is "king of gloss" so I skipped the additional coats of SG.

I used 2 carnaubas. The first was a durable one (Griot`s paste) and the second is a shinier one (Souveran). Blinding in the sun ...

<strong class=`bbc`>
    7) Top of with coat of Souveran in a couple of weeks.

Last question, should I use the Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion between any of these steps (maybe after SMR but before AIO ?)

8) Keep waxed look with crystal mist once a week.
    [/b]</blockquote>
    I use a washer/wax product once a week to restore the just-detailed look. It`s Blue Coral -- available at WalMart. Contains carnauba and is great for the money. --> Use "too much" and get great results.

I don`t know that a quick detailer won`t just grind dirt into the finish, so I don`t use it.

Enjoy.

E

Post Thanks / Like
    The word is EXTENSIVE, not EXPENSIVE.

E

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been to CMA today , to the other sites..I think im done. I`ve bought enough ..Im through. The important thing is i didn`t add up my receipts hahahahah...

I am set for the warm weather. I have done my part to keep the economy going. With your help we`ve saved america.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information