Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    by David W. Bynon

<font size="1">Copyright©, 1999-2002, Autopia Car Care -- All Rights Reserved</font>

A buffer in the hands of a pro can do wonders on a car that has heavy oxidation or minor scratches. Most body shops can use a buffer to blend touch-ups to perfection. Unfortunately, many detail shops and buffer owners don`t know how to use the tool, or use the wrong compounds.

Swirls can be removed. However, it will take a fair amount of work on your part. Doing it one small section at a time will allow you to see progress.

If you get swirl marks, most likely the most noticeable area is your hood and trunk sections. To remove these swirl marks, use a product like 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover or Meguiar`s No. 9 Swirl Remover. They both have very mild abrasives. They work slow. They also contain essential oils that will enhance the gloss, detracting from the swirls.

The best tool to apply Swirl Remover is a terry cloth applicator pad (not a terry cloth towel) or a foam applicator. Apply swirl remover by rubbing a generous amount into the paint fore and aft. Do not rub in circles, do not rub side to side, only rub front to rear.

Once the Swirl Remover begins to haze, use a clean terry cloth towel to buff. Again, front to rear only. You will need to do this several times to make an impact. Your hood alone, by hand, may take as long as an hour and a half to two hours. Don`t be alarmed by color coming off on your towel. If your car does not have a clear coat, some color will come off on your applicator and towels.

When you`re done with the swirl remover (polish), apply your favorite wax. If you can see swirls before you wax, you`ll see then after you wax. Wax will not hide imperfections.

<font size="1">All products mentioned in this article are available from Classic Motoring Accessories and are used at the buyer`s own risk.` Autopia Car Care is not affiliated with and does not represent Classic Motoring Accessories or the manufacturers of the products mentioned.` Other fine sources of car care products include Car Care Online, Griot`s Garage and Top of the Line.</font>

Post Thanks / Like

Wait a frickin minute here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 2 hrs max on a hood,????????!!!!!!!???????. There`s gotta be a better way, can you use a PC???????????? c`mon, gimmie a break

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get swirl marks, most likely the most noticeable area is your hood and trunk sections. To remove these swirl marks, use a product like 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover or Meguiar`s No. 9 Swirl Remover. They both have very mild abrasives. They work slow. They also contain essential oils that will enhance the gloss, detracting from the swirls.

Sorry to disagree with you here but these products basically hide swirls! Sure there is a mild abrasive in them but mainly they hide, not remove, scratches and swirls.

Yes, using a PC would be a lot easier and get far better results. To really REMOVE swirls and scratches, you need something a bit more agressive and may even need to use a rotary.

The test to see how you are doing is after using whatever, spray with some alcohol/water mix, wipe and see how it`s coming along.

I think you`ll find that using the above products by hand, and then doing the test, most swirls and scratches will still be there.

Just my observations, you`re mileage will vary!
    - - -

2001 Black Corvette Coupe, 99 Black VW New Beetle, 98 Silver ML320, 2003 Vulcan Classic 1600 MC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t mind some filling action, but I don`t see the point of totally filling in swirls, there still there and after a washing or 2, there still going to be there and the fillers will just wash away.

I don`t mean to be a ***** or anything, I really don`t but when I saw 2 hrs max on a hood????????? c`mon man!

BTW, would anyone happen to know if Pro`s P-21 Polish and Swirl Mark Remover contain any fillers???????. Like I said, I don`t mind some, but I like mostly a "cutting" action. Tks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Zaino Z-5 an effective solution to swirl marks? what about Dri-Wash/Miracle Wash?.......if applying 3M swirl remover by hand, in what motion should it be applied to the doors and fenders?

BTW.....will these swirl marks show up again after having used the 3M swirl remover?

Post Thanks / Like
    David you are so right on this one. I have spent over 2 hours just on a hood to remove swirls and scratches on a brand new black Pontiac Bonneville that a dealer detailed. I was paid $400.00 to remove every swirl, scratch and imperfection. The dealer ruined it and the customer demanded a new paint job. We fixed it to a better than new finish. Perfection takes time, experience, and the right products. Detailing is just what the name implies detail.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely agree on technique but don`t use those products as you would expect...I have spent an easy 6-7 hours working on fairly new Porsche`s ,Ferraris, and MB`s that dealers scewed up with poor equipment and little knowledge of fine detailing.

Two hours on a hood is more like a max not a guideline...if you couldn`t get everything out in two hours...then you should move on..IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a huge difference between what I do on my own cars and what I`d do if I were being paid.

Lately, I have taken a different tact all together. I`ve started using medium cut compounds on fine foam pads for scratch and severe swirl removal. I keep the speed down to 750 - 1,000 RPM. I then switch to a polish that will remove compounding haze and finish with a glaze (something with a little polishing action). Including the time it takes to mask the car, I can complete the job in 3-4 hours. The masking saves on trim clean up and makes it so I don`t have to be as careful on hard edges and ajoining panels. I also remove small trim pieces, like the tail lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice, ive never seen the "tape" approach before

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of tape do you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any quick release masking tape will work. The blue painter`s tape you find at most hardware stores (3M) is what I normally use. I had a few rolls of this racy red tape that made for nice pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    You remove the lights to detail? Hardcore bro hardcore :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I have bought the following products ,and I am ready to get my swirls out:

Clay Magic Clay Bar

Meg`s Paint Cleaner

Meg`s Scratch-x

Meg`s Deep Crystal Polish (Glaze or not?)

Now here is my question:

Is using the clay bar and the paint cleaner redundant? Also, is using the scratch-x, paint cleaner, and polish too much as well? Or will I get good results by claying, cleaning, using Scratch-x, then polishing? It sounds like a tremendous amount of work, but as I have heard, it is not about the PRODUCT, it is the PROCESS.

Any input is appreciated.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Slightly Modified) - Black
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - Black Metallic
    2012 Yamaha Stryker - Red Metallic
    2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Red Pearl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers is one of the few companies in complete alignment with my way of thinking. The clay removes surface contamination, but it does not remove dirt in the pores of the paint. Also, clay is hit and miss removing road grunge film. To remove what clay misses, you still need to use a pre-wax cleaner. Because Mothers is a mass consumer product, they include their Carnauba Cleaner/Wax, which does an excellent job. A better "enthusiast" kit would include a small bottle of Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner instead (hint, hint... Forrest).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by migace312

Is Zaino Z-5 an effective solution to swirl marks? what about Dri-Wash/Miracle Wash?.......if applying 3M swirl remover by hand, in what motion should it be applied to the doors and fenders?

BTW.....will these swirl marks show up again after having used the 3M swirl remover?
    Zaino 5 did not work for me! 3M SMR has worked MOST of the time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information