Thread: BFWD Questions?

Hi All,

I was referred to this site by a friend of a friend for Micro Fiber Towels. He said they were pretty good. The website is www.pakshak.com Has anyone ordered from them before? It
    looks sorta like the ones www.neatitems sell?

Thanks!
    Detail_Magic

Post Thanks / Like

BFWD Questions?

Ever since I discovered Properautocare products, I find most my free time is now cleaning things. I even polished my floor jack. looks Great! But, I just did one of my car`s to clay, polish, seal and 2-coat with BFWD. Over the 2-1/2 days it took I had plenty of time thinking and had these questions....

1) 2-1/2 days. Is this how long it normally takes? I cant see me doing this every year (I have 3 cars & motorcycle). I only used the DA on the polish portion, everything else was hand applied.

2) BFWD sealant made the surface super slick and I loved it. But after 2 coats of the BFWD wax it wasn`t near as slick. Shouldn`t it be even more slick with wax applied? Is this expected?

3) Can polish pads be cleaned using a steam cleaner? I have one on order. Pads are a pain to clean.

I really am impressed with the BFWD products. All my autozone products got thrown out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonnell View Post
    ... I even polished my floor jack?.
    You are a sick man :wink:

1) 2-1/2 days. Is this how long it normally takes? I cant see me doing this every year (I have 3 cars & motorcycle). I only used the DA on the polish portion, everything else was hand applied.
    If you are putting on multiple coats, yes.

Using your DA to spread the BFWD will makes things a bit quicker. I use my Flex polisher and a red pad on a slow speed to spread BFWD. It spreads quicker and more evenly.

2) BFWD sealant made the surface super slick and I loved it. But after 2 coats of the BFWD wax it wasn`t near as slick. Shouldn`t it be even more slick with wax applied? Is this expected?
    Yes, the Midnight Sun actually makes the surface less slick than BFWD alone. Can give a deeper shine but does loose some slickness.

3) Can polish pads be cleaned using a steam cleaner? I have one on order. Pads are a pain to clean.
    No idea on the steamer idea. BFWD is not a water based product and I have found it is impossible to get out of the pads. I set aside the ones I use and only use them for BFWD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please share with us how the steamer does on your pads when you get it. I have been looking at both steamers and pad cleaners. It would be great to have one do the job of two.

Post Thanks / Like
    2 1/2 days is long. If the car needed multiple steps to polish then that might be expected for a DIYer. Practice will speed things up. If the car is well maintained over time, it should be much easier in the future. I agree on the other points of slickness and having dedicated BFWD pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. I think next time I`ll try the DA for the sealant too (i need to buy a red pad). I`ll let you know how the steamer works once I get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I do a full correction (every spring), it does take a long time. I have a new Griots 6", so that has speeded up the process a lot. I have a 2002 Ford SVT Lightning, with fg bed cover so there`s a lot of real estate to cover. So far, I`ve done the complete truck, except for the roof, ground effects and front fascia. So far, it`s taken me about 2 days. I`ll switch to a 4" backing plate for the rest.

1. Megs #105/or Ultimate Compound/6.5" LC Orange pad
    2. Megs #205 or Ultimate Polish/6.5" LC White pad
    3. BFWD/6.5" LC red pad
    4. Danase Wet Glaze/ 6.5" LC blue pad.
    I used to use #205 followed by #7 glaze, but the new UP eliminated the need for #7.

The rest of the season, I`ll just reapply BFWD as needed.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I think maybe I`ll skip the final 2 coats of wax next time; I really like the slippery sealant finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I use a pad for the sealant, someone suggested `red`. But I see different types like constant pressure, crimson, etc. Which one? Noob question I know, but I hate to swirl something up I cant fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Proper Auto Care sells a Red pad and a Crimson Hydro-Tech Pad.
    The original Red pad is plenty soft and non swirling in any of the configurations, - CCS, Flat.. I personally use only Flat pads for everything.

The Crimson Hydro-Tech is the newest finishing pad, new technology, works, great, costs more probably. Could you tell the difference between the 2? I dont think so.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a red LC flat pad (6.5" Flat Constant Pressure Red Finishing Pad) for BFWD.

http://www.ProperAutoCare.com/1619-6...shing-Pad.aspx

Pick the size that fits with your backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
    When I do a full correction (every spring), it does take a long time. I have a new Griots 6", so that has speeded up the process a lot. I have a 2002 Ford SVT Lightning, with fg bed cover so there`s a lot of real estate to cover. So far, I`ve done the complete truck, except for the roof, ground effects and front fascia. So far, it`s taken me about 2 days. I`ll switch to a 4" backing plate for the rest.

1. Megs #105/or Ultimate Compound/6.5" LC Orange pad
    2. Megs #205 or Ultimate Polish/6.5" LC White pad
    3. BFWD/6.5" LC red pad
    4. Danase Wet Glaze/ 6.5" LC blue pad.
    I used to use #205 followed by #7 glaze, but the new UP eliminated the need for #7.

The rest of the season, I`ll just reapply BFWD as needed.

Jim
    If you switch to 5.5" pads it will make your polishing go a little faster.

Thread Information