Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a generator.

I`ll be running a Makita Buffer and a wet dry vac.

Can someone tell me how to do the math to figure out what size generator I need?

For the buffer it saies 120V 10A 50-60HZ.

Now, how do I figure out what generator I need? They are all measured in watts.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey intel,

it`s pretty easy, just remember volts x amps = watts. so a 10amp buffer at 120v = 1.2kw. about any small generator should run a 10a buffer and wet dry vac, especially if you won`t be running them at the same time.

the hz is pretty much a nonfactor, 60 cycles is what all common generators are going to run at.

i really like honda generators because they are so quiet. that noise can drive you crazy from some of the louder generators.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by snake [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>
    i really like honda generators [/b]</blockquote>
    I`ll second that opinion for Honda generators. Yamaha also makes a good unit. However we use Honda small engines for, water pumps, pressure washers, generators and a lawn mower and they are very reliable and durable.

<em class=`bbc`>clic pic[/i]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Snake and Short Cut.

I was planning on getting a honda generator. I bought a honda mowers awhile back and the quality is outstanding. So easy to start up, you hardly have to pull the cord. I`ve also never had any trouble with it.

What is KVA? I was looking at generator ratings and some will have 3.0KVA.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll put a third in for the Honda. It`s what we use as a backup for our sump system to protect our house during flood season.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a 5 kva Honda. Sometimes need the extra power if running it between two cars - maybe power washing one, running the dryer in the other and would still be enough for one of the guys to use the polisher if need arises. 5 kva is one heavy machine though. If you don`t have muscles like Arnie to lift it, well you soon will!

KVA refers to the wattage. If you have a big power washer - one that will suck in as well, that could use up to 3000 watts so you would need at least a 4 kva genny to run it happily. Your Generator Sales-guy will be able to tell how much you need. I would be afraid to say anything as we use 220-240 voltage across the Atlantic.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brakedust [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I use a 5 kva Honda. Sometimes need the extra power if running it between two cars - maybe power washing one, running the dryer in the other and would still be enough for one of the guys to use the polisher if need arises. 5 kva is one heavy machine though. If you don`t have muscles like Arnie to lift it, well you soon will!
    . [/b]</blockquote>
    Seems honda is the generator to go with.

Why couldn`t I just mount it in the back of my truck instead of having to take it out all the time?

Post Thanks / Like
    If your truck is enclosed, then the fumes can build up heavily. It might work for you. In my set up I need to take it out of my trailer, but I don`t mind as sometimes space can be an issue with customer cars. Honda`s are very reliable as well. For as long as I`ve had mine, it always starts with one tug of the chord.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by snake

it`s pretty easy, just remember volts x amps = watts....

Leave it to the electrical guy to break it down for all of us. :p

Thanks for your expertise Tim :up
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Sounds like my physics class

Power = Volts * Current

Wish me luck on my midterm tommorow!

Post Thanks / Like
    i don`t know about expertise but i did at one time know many electrical formulas and calculations, but they have long since been forgotten. now all i know is don`t touch the black wire :shocked

Post Thanks / Like

Does Anyone in NC Need an Assistant?

Hi Everyone!

First off, I hope posting this isn`t inappropriate. I would like to find a local detailer to help out and gain experience working for as a helper or apprentice. I guess the word for it nowadays is intern? There is a lot that I`ve read about, but I have very little actual experience. I`ve checked the local job ads and they want people who already have experience

I`m a hard worker and very loyal. I`d want this to be a win-win situation for both sides. I get hands on experience and you get low cost labor And I hope that we`d become friends in the process. Anyone interested?
    Halena Boles, amateur/wannabe detailer

I <3 my Jeep : D

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont live in NC but thats a very interesting idea and very enterprising of you i must say...good luck..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peachypan View Post
    Hi Everyone!

First off, I hope posting this isn`t inappropriate. I would like to find a local detailer to help out and gain experience working for as a helper or apprentice. I guess the word for it nowadays is intern? There is a lot that I`ve read about, but I have very little actual experience. I`ve checked the local job ads and they want people who already have experience

I`m a hard worker and very loyal. I`d want this to be a win-win situation for both sides. I get hands on experience and you get low cost labor And I hope that we`d become friends in the process. Anyone interested?
    I would look for the best guy in your area and call directly. Tell him you can try me out for a day for free so you can see that I am a hard worker. Think that if you are what you say you are it might work. Thge whole competition thing might get you tripped up. may have to work for someone outside your geographic area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in NC? I do not do this full time but when I get another car I can def have you assist if you would like. I detail from my full time job in Greensboro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information