Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Post Thanks / Like
    Just came back from Pep Boys and bought a few products..

3M Swirl Mark Remover

Rain-X Wheel Protector

Meguiars Endurance Tire Gloss

Final Inspection

Wheel brush

Carb Cleaner (to remove some more tar stains)

Meguiars Swirl-X

Any objections to the products?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t really have any opinions on those. Looks like a good list. I`ve never tried the RainX wheel protector. You`ll have to let us know how that works out for you. I like their car was and wax. And, of course, the glass treatment. Let us know what you think about SwirlX too. I haven`t heard of that one. I haven`t been to Pep Boys for awhile, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like a good list.

I think the Rain-x wheel protector is discontinued and YoSteve rants and raves about it.

I think you mean Meguiars Scratch-X, its similar to 3M Swirl Mark Remover, maybe a bit milder than it because the Meguiars has some fillers in it.

Is the Meguiars Endurance in a black or clear bottle? The black bottle is supposed to be a low gloss/natural shine and the clear bottle a high gloss shine. I used both and only use it on selected tires (Turanza`s on the BMW`S), because I found them to work the best with this tire compound.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you are absolutely right.. I MEANT Meguiars SCRATCH X... hehe.. my bad..

can both SMR AND scratch X be used on the same car?

and regarding the Rain X, it was on the clearance table at pep boys.. only bottle there.. so im guessing it is a good find..

the Meguiars is in the clear bottle with the purple liquid

Post Thanks / Like
    3M SMR can be used on the same car as Meguiars Scratch X. Just depends on what is the severity of the swirls. You can use either with the PC.

With the Endurance, Apply it with a sponge or a EO tire swipe, then buff off the excess to prevent sling.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    what should be used first? SMR or Scratch-X?

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you guys are talking about Meguiar`s Scratch-X. I have my own name for that product: "Meguiar`s Scratch-Yes".

One of the reasons that I had decided to try it was the the "claim" on the back of the tube that says that "unlike other products" the Scratch-X will not cause micro-marring during use, as you are attempting to remove hairline scratches, etc. Yeah Right.

I used it once, and was not pleased. That was my experience, yours may be different. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I would just use one or the other. Since you have the PC, both these products will perform well, and be faster and less tiring than by hand.

First give the 3M SMR a try on a panel, then Meguiars Scratch X on another panel. Use a polishing pad for these products, but DO NOT mix product on the pads. I try to keep one pad dedicated to one product, but after a through cleaning with dawn and hot water I may use another product on it. $10 a pad is steep so I try to keep my pads in tip top shape.

I am recommending this because the way products behave on different cars are different. This is to make you choose a product that works for you. yo can see side by side which product you like better in terms of shine, polishing ability, ease of application/removal etc. etc.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to Jason. He knows what he`s talking about. Laters

Post Thanks / Like

Introduction

Hello folks,
    Just wanted to introduce myself, a new DIY-er. I`m a typical hack that has used OTC stuff all by hand with limited success since my first car in 1970, a `66 Mustang.

After many years of hard work, I was able to buy a nice used sport car and am looking forward to learning from you all as I start the learning curve. As many have done, I`ve spent weeks reading and researching and have an idea, based on your experienced guys of which direction I want to go.

So this week I will be laying down my hard earned cash on my decent detailing kit, to see if I can do a good job on my own cars, then branch out from there.

One thing I need to get out of my head is that boutique means better. I`d like to learn more about pro quality Meguire`s products and do them justice, instead of the smear and wipe process I was used to!

Lot`s to learn. Look forward to becoming at least a decent DIY-er in time...

Regards,

ScottW

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Scott! Glad to hear your moving up in technology. Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Quesada

"Success is not the key to happiness.
    Happiness is the key to success.
    If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Belair
    Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome Scott!

You came to the right place!
    I will miss you TID! R.I.P !

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Scott and enjoy the visit.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Scott! You will find this is one of the more `Meguiar`s` friendly forums out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information