Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Is a 20X20 garage big enough to park 2 vehicles in comfortably??

Remember that the actual pull in width is only 16`wide..

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have a friend that his garage is 16X16 and he fits two eagle talons in it and it is a tight fit! I think that 20X20 you could fit two in easy but you would still be close with the doors hittin...

Are you Building a new one> Mine is about 26X26 and I wish it was about 4 feet wider

Also what cars/trucks are you fittin in there>?
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea Im building in the fall but I don`t think I can stretch it. The way it is designed, the left side of the house is flush with the garage so it really is one long outer wall. Im trying to fit a Dodge Dakota and a Nissan Maxima without having to worry about hitting the walls or other vehicle..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is 20` x 20` and is too short for my truck which measures 19` something and barely fits in the crappy little 7` door so It don`t go in anymore. (mirror folding is a PIA)

Measure your car width with the doors open and add them together. Then if you want cabinets add 30 inches for the depth of those. This would be ultimate but extreme.

24` wide should be good. 24` long would allow cabinets on the front wall.

Remember garages are measured on the outside of the slab so a normal sheet rock garage loses about 4" per wall. With brick figure another 4" for the bricks edge that has to be formed into the slab.

They have magazines wiuth garage plans in them. Pretty good ideas in there.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    I can make this easy......... just build it as big as you can Then when it is done you cant say "I wish it was a little bigger"LOL

My dads garage is 44X60! See where I get it from?.......He still says he should have made it bigger!?
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    IF at all possible built your 2 car garage large enough to hold 4 cars side- by- side. When my house was built the detached garage was built with two wide doors and room to hold my 3 classics very comfortable with a large work bench/ storage area. All this space may not be needed if you are only using it to keep your cars out of the elements but if you plan on also detailing in the garage lack of space will require 1 car to be outside during this activity. Plan ahead. You may one day have a "toy" that just sits in the corner of the garage that you can detail to your hearts content and actually remain detailed longer than the next errand. In the long run this will be cheaper and more satisfying. Of course this depends on your space available.

Congratulations on the new addition! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    For us common and poor folk, I think that 24 x 24 sounds pretty reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d also try strecthing it to 24" * 24". If your like me, you need to get the lawnmower and snowblower and some bikes and all the other non trivial things in there!

Luckliy, I have a 3 car garage!!
    2004 Chrysler T&C Platinum Series - Brilliant Black

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage sux... packed to the gills.

17x17 here`s what I have stuffed in to it:

(1) SLK230 - thank god it`s small

(1) 325i

(2) Sportbikes

(2) Mountain bikes

(2) Road bikes

(1) Keg-o-rator

and some storage units....

My next house will definatly be a 3 car garage. Possible an oversized 3 car garage!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is 23.5 x 32 and I think 30 x 40 would be about right.

Actually the depth is what makes mine great for me. I can park one car at a slight angle at the back of the garage and still get another car, a motorcycle, and a mini-van in as well. Typical snowblower, lawn mower, air compressor, work bench, etc. crammed in as well.

28 x 32 was my goal, but it didn`t work out because of crowding the house a little.

20 x 20 will be O.K. until you start accumulating more toys and tools. 24 x 24 will work well until the kids take over with their bikes. Build as big as you can afford if you have the lot for it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

First Question

All right this is going to be my first question on this forum. My question is would you guys recommend going with a random orbital machine for my first buffer since I have not buffed anything before. I think it would be beneficial to go with something like this rather than a dual action polisher because the random orbital has zero cutting ability and don`t want to screw anything up when I first start out. So should I go with a random orbital buffer before going to a dual action one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes do get an orbital. I bought a PC and love it. Still have it and use it on nearly every car I do, even if the rotary is required. It`s not true that they don`t cut. You can do a lot with one. The benefit is they have a lot more room for error as they are very forgiving.

I have had great success with the Meg consumer line of products with the PC: Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, or Ultimate Polish. The Menzerna line also works well: Power Finish or PO85RD (my fave). Don`t forget M105 or M205. They work well and do cut when using a PC or other DA.

OMG don`t even get me started on Klasse with the PC. :drool5:

Do it! and good luck.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by csssaint12 View Post
    All right this is going to be my first question on this forum. My question is would you guys recommend going with a random orbital machine for my first buffer since I have not buffed anything before. I think it would be beneficial to go with something like this rather than a dual action polisher because the random orbital has zero cutting ability and don`t want to screw anything up when I first start out. So should I go with a random orbital buffer before going to a dual action one?
    What kind of work will you be doing with it ?
    I will miss you TID! R.I.P !

Post Thanks / Like
    I will probably just start off by polishing the car with some wax and maybe get into bugging out some very minor scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...aren`t Random Orbit and Dual Action buffers the same thing?

Why would you want a buffer with zero cutting ability? Polish with a wax?

Many bases need to be covered here.
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information