Thread: Overwhelmed

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black Explorer that has some HORRIBLE swirl marks. When the sun hits it, it looks like someone took sand papers and swirled it around the car. What can i do about this? What products could you recommend? Thanx for the info...Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing doesn`t get much worse than on a black SUV! Buy the E-book and go to the Autopia University threads. And just so you know, I use my PC for swirls and use 3M FI-II and then Meguiar`s SR 2.0. Welcome to the forum, and have fun! There`s lots to learn!
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia Nytefog!

Good advice. A professional detailer needs a direct drive power buffer to deal with a much wider array of paint flaws. However if your vehicles are in "good" shape then a PC will make them better with much less physical effort than trying to do it by hand.

Personally I like the PC best for applying FI II, SMR and AIO. I generally wipe off the residue by hand with a MFT.

To get rid of swirls and light scratchs you want to start with the mildest abrasive. Only if the mildest doesn`t work will you need to go a step more abrasive.

Lighting can make a HUGE difference in what you can see. Try to work under flourescent or halogen lights. That way if your lighting is constant you will be able to make a more scientific comparison of different products.

When you get to a level of product that removes the scratchs then use that product followed by the next mildest and the next mildest. For example if you had to go to the bottom of the list to remove your scratchs, you would then work your way up to the top, before waxing or sealing the finish.

I like 3M Products for tasks like this because they have a graduated scale of abrasive products which will allow you to choose the right product for the job. The first item the SMR is not classified as a rubbing compound because it is so fine and it has the added benefit of leaving a very smooth glazed looking surface.

From mild to abrasive here`s a list of 3M`s products.

<em class=`bbc`>clic pics[/i]

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Overwhelmed

Looking for some help please. I have 2 new cars and looking for what I can use to provide that depth in detail I see on many of the posts. Both cars are white. Porsche Cayenne S and BMW 750. I have looked at the Zaino and BFWD products. With the cars being new, I don`t think I need to start from scratch with clay, etc., but looking for what I should use to maintain and enhance the looks and depth of the paint. Recommendations please

Post Thanks / Like
    Most cars, even new ones, fall short of their `shine` potential for two reasons. In order to get the most shine/depth from your paint light needs to be able to reflect evenly from the surface.

First, make sure the paint is deeply cleaned. I would recommend claying your cars, particularly since both are imported from overseas. After washing your car, place your hand in a baggy, and gently rub it across all of the surfaces. It should feel very smooth. If you feel any pebble like texure or bumps then I would start with claying.

This thread may prove useful.

After claying (if needed), I would recommend something like our Blackfire Reference Shine Kit if you are looking for the ultimate in reflection. This kit comes with the Blackfire Polyclay II kit to get you started. Then you can apply the Gloss Enhancing Polish with the included Porter Cable Polisher to remove light swirl marks and increase overall gloss. Top with the included Wet Ice over Fire (sealant and wax) combo kit for a liquid wet shine, and finally maintain with the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant.

Best of all, since this kit includes a Porter Cable and the necessary attachments, you can always add different pads/polishes as your detailing skills grow.

Best,

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advise from Todd.

The point about claying, shouldn`t be overlooked. If your car came from over seas, it probably has bonded contaminants on the paint, and should be cleaned and clayed. As Todd suggested, use the baggy test to determine if it is needed. After claying use a good cleaner polish like Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish to make sure the paint is looking it`s best before applying the LSP. I love BFWD on every color finish. Also, if you want to add an extra layer of protection without breaking the bank, try Collinite 845IW. It looks great on white.

Good luck, and post some pictures if you can.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Hey Cab911.....dont worry, you will sure be
    achieving great results on your cars.
    TID community is passionate about car care
    and with the help of great professionals like Todd Helme
    the shine is just some elbow grease away!!
    good luck!!!
    :wizard:

Thread Information