Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember reading a how-to type article on here or CMA, but I can`t find it anymore.

I want to take care of my little rock chips on my car before I go about putting on my new body kit.

I seem to remember the process mentioning fine sandpaper (1200?) and a pencul with an eraser. Can anyone help me with a quick little how-to, or point me to the article?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Martini,
    Not sure what happened to the Autopia article, but you will find similar information here

BTW, a black 96-97ish RX-7 zoomed past me on my way to work yesterday - beautiful car...
    ~Footy

My lawyers have advised me to say nothing until the results of the blood test come through...

Post Thanks / Like
    great, that was exactly what I was looking for.

You`re lucky to have 96-97 RX-7s over there in Sri Lanka, we stopped getting them in 95 over here in USA.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by martini [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>great, that was exactly what I was looking for.

You`re lucky to have 96-97 RX-7s over there in Sri Lanka, we stopped getting them in 95 over here in USA.

[/b]</blockquote>Wish I had one myself though!! We do get a lot of pre-owned J-spec cars being imported here, from the run-of-the-mill Corollas and Civics to the occasional RX-7`s, Skyline`s, etc. Mitsubishi just introduced the Evo 7 Lancer here as well. One advantage we have is that we drive on the same side of the road as Japan.

Glad the article was what you needed
    ~Footy

My lawyers have advised me to say nothing until the results of the blood test come through...

Post Thanks / Like

Best products for black car

I have a Black mustang I want to achieve the best look for my car. I have a porter cable buffer. I am looking for products such as sealants , waxs , polishes that all can be used together to bring the shine in my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how severe the swirls are the condition the paint is in this will dictate what to use . As far as wax and sealants you can go with the Blackfire line of products . If the swirls are bad go with 105/205 combo .
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk5.0 View Post
    I have a Black mustang I want to achieve the best look for my car. I have a porter cable buffer. I am looking for products such as sealants , waxs , polishes that all can be used together to bring the shine in my car.
    Not sure what you level of experience is with the PC. I suggest you give a brief bio about yourself and abilities/experience. Then the pro`s here can help you like they did me.

Search the site read the writes up`s, and watch the video`s. It is an educatuion! You will pick up alot. For example, I was moving the machine too fast and not breaking down the polish for almost a year before I figured it out by watching a video-also you need about 10 lbs of pressure to get the bite the pad/product needs.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both good replies for you here, I agree about Blackfire products, even on white I love that stuff! Follow it with collinite 845 and BAM!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best products for black car-mvc-016s-3-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a very subjective question. What looks best is all in the eyes of the beholder. You will likely get many different answers to that question. Jeff makes a very good point about your background and abilities. The process and technique are just as important as the products used. As far as the LSP goes, I agree that you can`t go wrong with BFWD.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing to do when going for the maximum shine on your car is going to give it an inspection. Start by washing it as thoroughly as possible.

First inspect the paint by placing your hand in a plastic baggy and lightly rubbing it over the paint. If the paint feels gritty or pebbled than your first step is going to be to clay bar the paint. This thread should help.

After the paint feels smooth (and is free from any contamination that could rob gloss) inspect the paint carefully in the sun. What you are looking for is fine scratches and swirl marks that graze the paint`s surface. Nothing will have as a dramatic impact on the appearance of your paint as this.

You may find this thread helpful: Paint Defects

If you have swirl marks, which is likely, you will need to correct them. Since you already have a Porter Cable you are going to need the following.

The correct 5.5 inch backing plate.
    5.5 inch Hydro Tech pads. I would get two in each color.
    Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound- Used with the aggressive pad to remove defects.
    Meguiar`s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish- Used with finer pads to remove fine swirl marks and achieve a swirl-free finish.

Start with the least aggressive combo (Meguiar`s M205/Crimson pad) and a test section. Apply at speed 4 working in over lapping sections, and wipe clean. Inspect this area and see how it looks to the other areas of the car you haven`t touched. If it looks better but not good enough (you need more cut) try Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound with the tangerine H20 pad. This should remove the deeper swirl marks (but might leave a light haze behind).

If you still have deeper swirl marks then use M105 with the aggressive Cyan pad. This is the most aggressive step and you should be able to remove most defects in 1 to 2 applications with this product. Again, focus on working a test section first, so you can find the exact process that will work on the rest of your car. After you remove the swirl marks you may have a light haze on the paint, from the aggressive pad/polish. Use M205 and the Crimson pad as a follow up step to remove this haze.

Once the car is polished and swirl free you are going to be amazed at how much better it looks. Finally use your favorite wax/sealant or combination of both to add the ultimate shine. For me personally, I love Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant. On black you may benefit from topping this with Blackfire`s Paste Wax[/URL], for a killer deep look. This is know as the Blackfire Wet Ice over Fire Combination Kit.

There is a lot to take in when it comes to properly detailing your car. Please feel free to post any questions you have and we would love to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best products for black car-reflection.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    How often can u use m205 without harming the paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have swirls?

If you are new to a PC I might suggest:

To get you started:
    1) 5" backing plate
    6) 5" LC flat pads 2)orange 2)white 1)black 1)Blue
    1) Megs Ultimate Compound
    1) Megs Ultimate Polish

Apply:
    Ultimate Compound w/Orange pad
    Ultimate Polish w/White Pad

For LSP that is subjective.
    Sealant or Wax?

BFWD looks real nice on black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the type of paint, the thickness of the paint, the hardness of the paint, what sort of pad you`re using with M205, what machine you`re applying it with, how long you`re working it, etc., etc...

Simple answer, dozens.
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a really tough question to answer because there are a HUGE number of variables that come into play: how thick is the paint system, how much can be removed from the paint system before compromising it`s long-term durability, what methods are a being used to apply M205 (which greatly affects the amount of material removed) and so on and so on.

Generally the clear coat on your car is going to be about 2 mils or 50 microns in depth. On a daily driven car which is exposed to UV light you don`t want to remove more than 15-20% over the life of the car. So the maximum amount of paint you can polish away is roughly .4 mils or 10 microns. Luckily most swirl marks are less (far less) than .5 mils or 2 microns deep. So you should be able to fully remove swirl marks at least 5 times on most paint systems.

It is hard to determine just how much material is removed every time a particular product is used. Some paints are very soft so a lot (realtive) of material is removed. So paints are very hard so very little (relative) is removed. Than we have the huge number of variables in the application methods. Are you using a rotary at 2200 rpm with a cutting pad, a Dual-Action polisher at low speed with a finishing pad? By hand? Changing application methods could affect the amount of material removed (and thus the amount of time something could be used) by as much as 300%.

Think of a tub of butter. If you lightly rub your hand over it, than you barely remove any of the surface. However if you dig in aggressively and really claw at it you could remove 1/2 the material in one shot. The product (hand) was the same, but the method was different.

If you are careful and your swirl marks are not do to deep, you should have no problem using M205 many many times with out affecting the life of the clear coat. However if you attack your paint like the Hulk, than even a fine polish like M205 is going to wear it thin after a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best products for black car-mf-towels.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    - A gun
    - One bullet
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information