Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly coating

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently washed my PC pad out real good (yellow pad), since it had paint on it from the car (failed clear). And the velcro part came off next time I removed the pad from the PC (a few minutes later).

So now I need a new yellow pad.. and how do you all wash your velcro pads? How can you get them clean without using water, unless you use a "spur." Which wouldn`t get paint off...

Josiah

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash it by hand with detergent. You can still fix the pad of you use silicon adhesive on it. I did that and it worked great. Never came off after that, even with many washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    For washing the PC pads, I fill the sink with warm water with a few table spoons of dawn. I then let the pads soak in that warm dawn soltuion for an hour or so. I come back and agitate the pads and rinse them off once in warm water and then again in cool/cold water. I let the pad air dry.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend rinsing your pads with a little dish soap and water. Do not put them in the washer. It will distroy them.

If you plan to use the same product a lot (such as a wax), it is recommend that you do not wash the pads. Instead, you should put the pad in a marked ziplock baggie to keep it from drying.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use a pad on a non clear coated paint, like red never use it on a lighter colored car even after you wash the pad , it can make a real mess.:scared
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a PC and was wondering if I should be washing the pads in between uses. I have been just rinsing them in some Dawn and then air drying.

Am I doing it correctly?
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Poly coating

Recently had some body work done to son`s 10 yr old truck. Hood was replaced. My wife picked it up and the body shop guy told her it was "poly coated" as opposed to clear coated, and that it did NOT ever need to be waxed. Just some detail spray every now and then.

Since I was not there, I don`t know if this is what he said or not, but has anyone ever heard of such? Sounds mighty fishy to me.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s some type or a special coating that prevents paint from oxidizing, fading and rusting, but who knows, someone wants to answer this one.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like a line of pure BS to me. I know there is a poli-coat paint sealant that is made out there. Look it up on google. Its like any other paint sealant. What color is the vehicle? Is it just a plain color, ie no metallics in the paint? If thats the case they could have used a single stage paint. When I worked at Maaco any vehicle that came in with non-metallic paint we put single stage paint on it. But this sounds more like the line of crap a dealership sells you on a new car with the `ultimate fabric and paint protection` where it will never stain/fade away.
    Michael Glissman

Post Thanks / Like
    i guess if i were you id just call them back or go there and ask them exactly what they used and if they could give you some more info on it. And i would ask why they would put it on without your approval first. it could be that some company sold them on some crap product and it wont do really what they say it will. Good luck to ya .
    Down here in colorful Colorado.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trans1998AM View Post
    i guess if i were you id just call them back or go there and ask them exactly what they used and if they could give you some more info on it. And i would ask why they would put it on without your approval first. it could be that some company sold them on some crap product and it wont do really what they say it will. Good luck to ya .
    I agree 100% with this.
    Well said!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Just plain silver color, no flake, etc. Good idea, I`ll call and ask them. I`m a little concerned that they don`t know themselves however. If anyone else has run into this, I`d appreciate your response as well. Since this is a DD for a 16 yr old, it`s not that big a deal, but since I put about 18 hours into cleaning that thing before I gave it to him, I`m a little ticked he wrecked it to begin with (on a ice patch the size of a basketball court in the school parking lot no less!) Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnerwolf View Post
    ... Since this is a DD for a 16 yr old, it`s not that big a deal, but since I put about 18 hours into cleaning that thing before I gave it to him...
    Wait, you actually spent time on a car you have a 16 year old driving? Oooh, that`s a mistake!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you google "Poly Coat paint sealant", you will find some links that might be the product they applied.

Supposedly, this is a sealant that lasts for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    If you google "Poly Coat paint sealant", you will find some links that might be the product they applied.

Supposedly, this is a sealant that lasts for years.
    unless this is somthing like opti coat i doubt it. And I wonder if opti coat over fresh paint is a good idea but im not positive.
    Down here in colorful Colorado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information