Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Question I plan to detail my FX35 and I have some questions.

Hi to everyone!

okay i`ve been lurking in this board for quite sometime now, trying to search for some answers so I don`t have to bother you with newbie questions but I guess everyone has different situation.

this might be a long post and i apologize.

so the subject vehicle is my daily driver, 2010 Infiniti FX35 (Platinum Graphite). It is said that the paint has a cross linked clear coat, assume this is a hard clear coat?! or am i wrong?

as for paint condition:

- i can see orange peel but i don`t plan to correct that.
    - no major scratch or swirls.
    - I can see about 5 very small paint defect (maybe manufacturer`s); if i touch it i don`t feel any bump, it is smooth.
    - I can see some small hard water spots in the hood and top, these spots can only be seen at an angle (perpendicular to light source).
    - I`ll probably see more small defects under halogen lamp but i`m sure there is no major ones.
    - I have only detailed the FX by hand.

What I am currently doing

when I got the FX I was using the old Meguiars NXT wax, a left over from my previous vehicle.
    about 3 months ago I switched to Zaino products. I see big improvement in shine (probably because of layering?), but durability wise love it. I don`t get a lot dust and paint is still smooth after 3 months.

When I got my Zaino about 3 months ago, here`s what I did:

Dawn
    Clay with z-18 (did not remove hard water spots, i gave up)
    Z7, Wipe/Blower, Z-AIO (did not fix the paint defect)
    Z6, Z5, Z6, Z-CS
    Z8 the next day.

Then on the next week
    Z7, Wipe/Blower, Z5, Z6, Z-CS
    Z8 the next day.

I also used Z-AIO for glass and wheels.

My Plan

I want to buy a PC 7424XP, my hand can still do it but I want to try doing it by machine. I also plan to get Meguiars 105 and Menzerna PO85RD.
    My goal is to remove the water spots and fix any defects that I am not seeing by using Megs 105 (with Orange CCS 6.5).
    Then finish it with PO85RD (with White or Grey CCS 6.5).
    An then Proceed with Z-AIO, Z5, Z6 and Z-CS. I am also planning to get a Z-2 and ZFX so I don`t have to wait longer when layering.

My Questions

Do I have to strip the current Zaino application? If so, will a Dawn wash do it? Or I don`t have to remove it and can just wash with Z-7, dry, then use Megs 105?
    Do I really need the Meguiars 105 if I only plan to do light cutting with orange pad? Or can I use Po85RD with yellow pad then finish with Po85RD with white pad? Or I don`t make any sense?!
    Do I need to do IPA wipedown after Megs 105?
    Do I need to do IPA wipedown after PO85RD even if I plan to do Z-AIO next?
    If I need to do IPA wipedown, is there an alternative to that?
    Is my plan okay? does it make sense? if not, I would really appreciate any input... Any alternatives that you would suggest?

thank you, i really appreciate it.

here`s my FX... it`s raining and getting cold here in Atlanta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forums.

As far as correction you always want to start with the least aggresive combo of products.Start with Megs 205 with a white pad and see if that corrects what you are trying to remove.

If the 205 and white doesn`t help move onto a orange pad .Always do a test spot and yes i would do an IPA wipedown after every panel you do .This will remove all the oils left behind and give you a true finish.

The PCXP should be fine do some reading about the KBM method that should help some also.I`m not 100% sure but you clear coat might be the self healing clear coat i believe there is a sticker on the door edge or the b pillar post if it does have that type of clear coat .Everything you listed looks like a plan and i`m sure others will chime in and add parts that i missed .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I plan to detail my FX35 and I have some questions.-mvc-042s.jpg  
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

As far as correction you always want to start with the least aggresive combo of products.Start with Megs 205 with a white pad and see if that corrects what you are trying to remove.

If the 205 and white doesn`t help move onto a orange pad .Always do a test spot and yes i would do an IPA wipedown after every panel you do .This will remove all the oils left behind and give you a true finish.

The PCXP should be fine do some reading about the KBM method that should help some also.I`m not 100% sure but you clear coat might be the self healing clear coat i believe there is a sticker on the door edge or the b pillar post if it does have that type of clear coat .Everything you listed looks like a plan and i`m sure others will chime in and add parts that i missed .

thanks!

yeah i`ve had some reading with the KBM method, and I think that would really help.

i believe the self healing stopped in 2008 models and will come back on 2011. Some car magazine website says it`s scratch resistant paint.
    i tried to find the sticker for the paint but i cannot find it, not in hood or door jamb i`ll try to look at it again.

if i go with 205, i could still finish with 85RD?
    okay so i have to IPA wipedown after every panel/section? and not after doing the whole vehicle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I plan to detail my FX35 and I have some questions.-mvc-031s.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

I agree with Harleyguy. I have been able to get some decent correction with 205. Plus with the 205 I dont think you would need to follow it up with PO85RD on that color. 205 will do a great job on it own. But try it out. IPA would be a good idea before polishing. If you use 205 or 105 you should not need to do a IPA wipe down after polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broker99 View Post
    I agree with Harleyguy. I have been able to get some decent correction with 205. Plus with the 205 I dont think you would need to follow it up with PO85RD on that color. 205 will do a great job on it own. But try it out. IPA would be a good idea before polishing. If you use 205 or 105 you should not need to do a IPA wipe down after polishing.
    what about the existing zaino application i have in the vehicle. do i have to remove it? with what?

or i can just do a regular car wash and then 205 or 105?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan on doing any paint correction, you should remove whatever lsp you have on the car. Do a Dawn wash, then clay, and do an IPA wipedown. I agree with Chad (broker99), about the 85RD. For a silver car, you might not really notice that much of a difference. The M205 should be just fine to finish with.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Also, welcome to TID!!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    IPA is my best friend, it should be yours as well.

When doing any sort of polishing...

-IPA wipe after claying to remove lubricants and residue just before polishing
    -IPA wipe several times after every single stage of polishing, ensures your not filling in defects and also helps remove any smearing of streaking from your microfiber
    -IPA wipe just before applying your sealant to ensure the finish is 100% clean and dust free

I would go with a 60:40 mix (91% isopropyl alcohol:distilled water)

Also Zaino has a fantastic line of products but they really like to complicate the steps of things. If you did a nice job polishing the paint than a few coats of Z5 or Z5 is all you need. layering in Z-CS and applying Z-AIO as a basecoat is not needed at all IMO.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks a lot for all your help.
    i`ll try 205 then... and ipa wipedown as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry for double post.

if i finish with 205, will Z-5 bond properly without using ZFX or Z-AIO?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I plan to detail my FX35 and I have some questions.-mvc-037s.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebauer24 View Post

if i finish with 205, will Z-5 bond properly without using ZFX or Z-AIO?

Thanks!
    Yes if the paint surface is completely clean. Again, the use of iso alcohol and/or Z6 after M205 and before you lay down the Z5 should clean the paint of anything left behind from the previous steps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information