Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I posted a few weeks ago about Klasse. Anyway, I said that I would stick with Klasse mostly because of it`s long lasting protection. However, what do you think of this combination. Maguiar`s # 20 polymer sealant with a carnuaba topper? HOw much protection do you think that will offer? MY car is garaged also. The reason I ask is because I am going to start using the PC and I feel that the PC pads use too much Klasse and that stuff is expensive. Do you think that the #20 plus a carnuaba topper will offer protection that is comprarable? I just can`t stand applying by hand anymore. It take a long time and stresses my back. Any suggestions are welcome! -Regards, Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    The #20 is a good product. It will protect your car. A carnuba topper will look great on top of it, especially #26. Whatever topper you want to go with, it will look good on top of #20. I really like the Sealant Glazes easy on... sometimes I don`t buff it off if it is too cold out. Just put on a very thin layer, and go inside by the fire. Next day, if you look REAL close it is a little streaky, but it goes away and the car looks fantastic after every coat (on 5 now).

Have fun whatever route you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    The #20 and Klasse SG are both quality synthetics. They will both give you 6 months of protection, even more so if your car is garaged much of the time. Feel free to top either one with a carnauba. I`d give Blitz or #26 a try. If money is not an issue, then step up to Pinnacle Paste Glaze or Pinnacle Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive me but I have another question concerning the PC. I watched that video on the Maguiar`s website. It was pretty good but it doesn`t tell you what you should do around the corners of the car. He only shows you on the flat part of the hood. What about the trunk lid crease? Do you polish along the edge or would that burn the paint? What about the rocker pannels? Is that done by hand or is the PC ok? Basically, I wouldn`t know what to do on anything that is not flat. Any suggestions welcome. Maybe there is a another video I can get...... Thanks! Regards, Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    what a coincidence that this thread was the first in the list.... I just got back from my local parts store that carries a lot of detailing supplies (monument car parts in san ramon) and saw meguair`s #20. I didn`t realize that meguiars offered a polymer.

so, anyway, how does #20 compare to Klasse or Zaino? once one elects to step up to a polymer, what are the pros and cons between the mentioned brands or are they all pretty much the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got off the phone with meguiar`s (Bricklen @ x139) and he told me a couple of things...

first of all, #20 has a little bit of a cleaner in it so using #7 before #20 is pointless.

he also mentioned that applying #26 over the top of #20 didn`t really do much (I know we`re all geeks here trying to eek out the absolute best :p ) to improve the shine. furthermore since #20 is has cleaners in it, you`d have to re-apply #26 every time you re-apply #20.

a tidbit that he passed on to me (before I even mentioned that I had two white cars) was that he fealt the #20 was great on white cars.

he followed up by saying that Medallion is considered their best product (polymer + carnuaba in one product) and #20 is actually a step below it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I e-mailed Maguiar`s and got back a similar response. The rep that wrote me said that it was also pointless to layer #20 because it`s cleaners would just take off the pervious coat. The only problem with Medallion is that I have never seen it in my local stores. I guess mail order is the only way. If you decide to try #20 PLEASE post your opinion!

Post Thanks / Like
    a couple of more points on #20 and medallion...

they`re well aware of the hype surrounding zaino and maintain that #20 is their equivalent product and that it will last equally as long (same goes for medallion).

both #20 and medallion have UV protection (I think some people might be under the impression that Zaino has this and others may not).

the one thing he did say about #20 (and I already know about medallion) is that it will leave a white residue on black plastic trim unlike zaino (which apparently doesn`t). but then there`s always the peanut butter trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Cliff330i [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>If you decide to try #20 PLEASE post your opinion! [/b]</blockquote>
    I may indeed try it. he was telling me that he also has a white car and that he switches between #20 and medallion but prefers the #20 on the white car.

he also offered up that gold class car wash is probably a little better than #62 as it has more paint conditioners in it (both are available by the gallon).

so by switching to #20 and gold class wash, it sounds like I`ll have slightly better results at a *lower* cost than what I`m using now (plus I no longer need to use #7 which saves time and more money). that ain`t bad. :up

the harder I try to move away from meguair`s (to zaino), the harder I find it to leave the meguair`s family.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that is becomming apparent to me is that there is no perfect product. That is painful to say! Anyway, I have a 330i also (silver) and the black plastic trim is a concern of mine because it`s a pain to remove the white residue. Honestly, I am happy with Klasse. It`s just that it`s very expensive and I feel that the PC pads use to much of it. I just love the protection it gives though. I thought of taping the edges of the black moldings with masking tape when using the PC and a product that stains it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually use masking tape from home depot.

I`ve heard that peanut butter takes it right off plus the meguiar`s guy was telling me about a new black trim cleaner product that will take it right off as well without leaving a sheen on the mouldings. I`ll probably try the peanut butter thing first. I`ve heard it really works well. just schmear some one and wash it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used #20 for about six months and was very pleased with it. It`s a good product.

I must respectfully disagree with Meguiar`s on one minor point. First, a wax topper makes a HUGE difference with #20. I have a dark blue car, and the difference was simply incredible to behold. I was shocked the first time I saw it. It was so much darker and deeper! Now, it`s important to note that the wax will not provide any additional protection- #20 is much more durable than #26, so Meguiar`s is quite right when they say that #20 won`t make much of a difference vis-a-vis protection. This is true. However, appearance is much better with a #26 topper, especially on dark cars. You might not notice anything on light cars, though.

Also, if you are choosing between #26 and Blitz, I would suggest that you try Blitz. The appearance is identical, but Blitz lasts longer. Having used both, I have to say I preferred Blitz. #26 is great, but Blitz is jus tso durable...

Second, I have recently switched to Zaino, and I am happy with it. #20 is an excellent product. You can`t go wrong with it. However, I believe that Zaino offers the same benefits of #20, plus a few more, including:

1. Layerability- you can layer Zaino. No one is really sure whether #20 can be layered. But we do know that you can layer Zaino, which should give you better protection. To me, this is the most important advantage of all.

2. Swirl-filling (when using Z5). #20 doesn`t do this, so far as I know.

3. Z-7 wash. Z-7 is expenisve, but it is the best car wash I have ever used. I have never had a single water spot when using Z-7, even when I wash my car in the 80-degree sun. Gold Class is an awesome wash too, and it certainly is cheaper than Z-7. I am willing to pay for Z-7 because I like it so much, but you can`t go wrong with Gold Class. I still use it on my future father-in-law`s car.

4. Now comes the controversial one: slightly better shine. This is very subjective, but I would say that the Zaino shine is maybe 5-10% better than the #20 shine. Zaino does not have the depth that the #20/Blitz combo had, but its shine certainly is bright.

5. Easier to use. When I used a carnuba topper, I had to wax again every month or so. This was a big pain. Blitz is very easy to use, but my car has many sharp angles, and getting the wax residue out of every crevice was a huge pain. It took almost an hour to get out, and would sometimes reappear a week or so later. Zaino doesn`t have this problem, so far as I can see.

I admit that I sometimes miss Blitz. I loved it so much that I occasionally look longingly at my yellow can, wishing that I could slap a quick coat onto the Jeep. I actually use it on my relative`s cars now, even though they don`t really care whether I use a premium wax or Nu-Finish. I love Blitz so much that I have to keep using it!
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like

yes, #20 can be layered. it has a cleaner and removes other wax or polish products but does NOT remove (a previous coat of) itself.

hmm.. don`t know either.

well, perhaps Z7 is better with Z2 or Z5 applied but I would imagine that the gold class + final inspection might work better with #20.

I may never know which I like better on my cars unless I buy all of the products at once (which I won`t do).

this may be a non-issue in my case for two reasons. first of all, I don`t have the angle problem you write of. secondly, I may not apply a topper at all so it could eb a moot point. going to #20 does actually make my job easier as it eliminates the step of appying #7.

Post Thanks / Like
    A product with cleaners or high solvents in it cannot be layered. It will probably <em class=`bbc`>feel[/i] like its being layered as its cleaning properties are improving the paint surface thus providing some marginal benefit, but a cleaner like Meg #20 will remove a very very thin layer of whatever it`s being applied to, whether it`s your clearcoat or an existing polymer.

Doesn`t mean it`s a bad product though. Based on testimonials on this forum, Meguiar`s #20 is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Dude...#26 or Blitz looks awesome over #20. I am using #20/#26 on a white car and it really shines great!! It seems to glow at night. However once I use up the #26 its Blitz all the way!! This stuff is magical!! It goes on so smooth and comes off just as easy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information