Post Thanks / Like
    I <span class=`bbc_underline`>Finally plan on getting around to using my PC after having it for months (have a garge to use and everything - boy I`m spoiled!).

I watched the video re: using a PC on your car with a polish. When working the side panels, do I move the piece left/right and up/down like on the top panels like the hood, roof and trunk?

Also, is the technique any different when applying AIO?

I do plan on apply SG by hand, in the direction the air flows (front to back). I`m pretty sure I`m correct about this.

Thanks for the input!

Post Thanks / Like
    i feel so unloved...

either that or completely stupid that I should already know the answer.

certainly i wouldn`t be asking if I couldn`t find the answer in the archives... oh well, guess there`s only one way to find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    don`t worry, I`m in the same boat as you. I just got my pads from CMA in the mail today. (I got the 7336 sander a couple days ago and I`ve been sanding old wooden furniture and picnic tables for no reason other than it`s so much fun!)

However, it is my understanding that it should be done the same way as the hood and trunk-- that is to say, up and down, left and right. Once again, that is my unexpierenced understanding, but that is what I planned on doing. Does somebody want to correct me if I`m wrong??

And don`t worry, gs3, I love you
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    When I am using polish or AIO on the sides of my car I try to go in an up and down motion with the PC for the most part. However I find that I also like to go front to back at the very top and bottom of the door because the up/down strokes won`t cover the top and bottom of the panels completely. Don`t get too nutted up if you have to go side to side to get complete coverage. I think the most important thing is keep your movements flowing and don`t stop to concentrate on specific areas when you are doing the whole car. If you need help on specific areas do them first (with flowing motion) then do the whole car.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ChuckMotor & Shortcut... your responses are most appreciated.

I figure there will be a learning curve as I figure the best way to do things. However, more knowledge is (usually) always better, right???

Post Thanks / Like
    GS,

Since the PC is spinning in an orbital motion the basic direction of buffer movement isn`t all that critical. What I do is move the PC in a direction that works the panel the best. If a panel is in real bad shape you might need to move the PC in several different patterns to remove the swirls and get the panel to the condition you want.

With a rotary you have to be more careful but that`s more to do with potential damage a rotary can do than anything else.

With experience you will find that pads and product have a greater effect on results than the pattern of PC movement.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    bretfraz is right - the orbital`s motion is much faster than your movement and will determine any pattern that is left behind. I sometimes make a pass of strokes, say, left to right to left, and then make the next pass top to bottom to top. This helps me keep track of exactly where I`ve been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again everyone... Sounds like I was being a bit over-cautious and should just let the pc do its job. I just need to make sure to keep moving back and forth in a fluid matter.

I`ll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

ONR topic, again

So I got my first bottle of ONR from PAC (thanks guys!). I have never used it and I will admit, I am scared. I am not new to detailing but I wouldnt put myself on the level of most of you. This just seems wrong. I may never open this bottle, it may just sit here so I can cringe whenever I look at it. Any others ever fear the ONR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not someone who has done this for money per se (maybe 20+ years ago only as wash, wax and vacuum), but I was curious about ONR and read lots about it from various detailers on this board and others. I have used it about 8 times now and feel comfortable enough to recommend it to others as it is strange at first, but it works on most washings - not the heavy caked on stuff, but normal weekly or monthly dust/dirty from daily driving on paved roads. Not a miracle wash medium, but where I live in TX we have had years of water bans so it seemed like a great way to keep the vehicle clean and save water at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know its a good product that works well, it just seems so wrong.
    My post was a joke for the most part but I seriously felt like I was violating the car the whole time. I have surfed a few detailing forums for a few years, I have read all about it and finally decided to give it a shot on my own car.
    Thanks for the info though, I am sure it will get me through the winter just fine :-c

Post Thanks / Like
    I never planned to use it but after speaking with Dr. G about it he convinced me to give it a try. I did. I`ve used it on my pride and joy a few times and it definitely lives up to its marketing. I would recommend it without hesitation. Just not if your cars muddy or something. Great for clay lube too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mopar,
    I happen to think ONR is the one detailing product that every detailer should have. It not only does what it advertises (and does it very well), it is a very versitile product that has many uses. You can use it as a No Rince wash, a QD, and a clay lube.
    I used ONR all through winter last year.I live in NJ and our winters get pretty bad, and last year was very bad. You can do a wash in your garage or driveway at 35*F. Just make sure to use warm water in your bucket.

The bottom line is, read up on some posts about it. Learn how most people are using it, and give it a try. I promise, you will never look back.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    changes
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I never planned to use it but after speaking with Dr. G about it he convinced me to give it a try. I did. I`ve used it on my pride and joy a few times and it definitely lives up to its marketing. I would recommend it without hesitation. Just not if your cars muddy or something. Great for clay lube too...
    I think ONR forces changes to paradigms....one bucket method, basic microfiber towel, etc.

I just think this shows that all the ceremony on some wash techniques (modified six bucket method espoused by some, grit guards galore, foam guns/cannons, star wars named wash mitts, etc.) may not really be adding that much extra safety during washing. It may be fun but is it really required for most cars?
    Al

Made in USA

Thread Information