Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting ready to purchase a PC to detail my own car after hanging out in this forum for a while and need some advise. I have already purchased 3M SMR for dark cars ( I have a black Jetta ) and am looking into purchasing the kit for the PC from CMA. I want to know what you guys would recommend to put on after the 3M SMR. I`ve seen alot about Klasse products ( AIO ) etc. but want to know ( in steps please ) what you would recommend after finishing up with the 3M SMR. Thank you very much for your time.:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there and welcome to Autopia!

After using SMR if you are going to use a carnuaba based wax you can just wax right after you wipe off the SMR.

If you are going to use a polymer sealant like Klasse I would recommend washing the car after wiping off the SMR. The for Klasse you would use AIO then after that has been wiped off you can apply SG.

There are lots of threads that are current and in the archive about using Klasse. It is definitely worth reading up on because if you are used to using waxes, as I was, the Klasse works a bit differently. My biggest tip for using Klasse is to use the PC for the AIO but apply the SG by hand and preferably with a MF applicator. This will make it easier to put down a very thin coat of SG. A thin coat is WAY easier to wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M SMR. My advice to you is to research the products that interest you and use what will work best for your needs, time, and preferences.

One of the guys on the corvette forum has a black jetta for his daily commuting and uses zaino on it.....looks awesome..........

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never seen a car shine like that. Amazing.

E. J.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by OLD GTI GUY [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I am getting ready to purchase a PC to detail my own car after hanging out in this forum for a while and need some advise. I have already purchased 3M SMR for dark cars ( I have a black Jetta ) and am looking into purchasing the kit for the PC from CMA. I want to know what you guys would recommend to put on after the 3M SMR. I`ve seen alot about Klasse products ( AIO ) etc. but want to know ( in steps please ) what you would recommend after finishing up with the 3M SMR. Thank you very much for your time.:up [/b]</blockquote>
    Welcome to the forum!

3M SMR & a PC is a great start for a car with light swirls. I would also remove embedded surface contaminants with a claybar as part of your car`s prep work. My preference is to clay before using the SMR.

As the previous posts state, spend some time going through many of the old posts and decide if you wish to use traditional waxes or synthetic polymers (or both!). Once you have a general idea of what kind of `detailing` route you wish to take, you will undoubtedly have more specific questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, I`d like to thank you all for your answers and advise, and I must agree, the shine on that Jetta is breath taking... my car will hopefully come out that way I did try the search before my post and found a wealth of info:up ... what I`m trying to do now is get your opinions on whether I should go carnuba, or use something synthetic ( AIO, IHG, etc. ). I will then focus my attention on the search utility as I`m sure this has been beaten to death but I`m new so I hope you guys understand. Thanks again!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a wealth of info when using the search and it can be tough to go through.

As to what product to use it depends on many things..

The sealants tend to last much longer than carnubas. Some people use klasse then apply a carnuba topper.

Heck I use Zaino and klasse on two different cars cause I am nuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s my take on it. First off I think everyone that settled in Chicago musta put down stakes during the summertime because wow! You guys have some real wintertime there in Chi-town. The pioneers that made it through the first winter there were some tough mofos.

In a nutshell I think that polymer sealants are better for daily drivers and harsh weather conditions because of their longevity and superior protection. Waxes are better for achieving depth and differing characteristics of gloss. Wax is good for a daily driver too but requires more maintenance. In many cases that`s just fine because some folks enjoy waxing more frequently or the car is often garaged and protected from the elements.

If I was driving in Chicago in the winter I would use a good polymer sealant like Klasse, Zaino or Blackfire.

Post Thanks / Like
    DetailKing..I must say that the shine on that Black Jetta is utterly amazing. Take a bow !!!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I would use the PC for the SMR but should I also use it to apply / remove everything else?

Post Thanks / Like
    With Zaino by hand is best since it is easy to apply and remove and you do not want to waste product when trying to apply it very thin.

I have read where some apply AIO with a PC.

As for Wax I would do it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by OLD GTI GUY [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I know I would use the PC for the SMR but should I also use it to apply / remove everything else? [/b]</blockquote>
    For applying, it wastes a bit of product, especially with polymers which work better with extremely thin coats. But it is time-saver. Check out this thread.

Porter Cable - Save Time or Improve Results?

It can be used to remove 90% of the product you`ve applied. The rest has to be removed by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best use for the PC is applying abrasives for swirl/scratch removal. It save lots of time and it keeps you arms from falling off.

As stated in the thread, sealants and waxes are best done by hand so you don`t waste product.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailking,

That is a DOPE shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    That picture of the black Zaino`d Jetta made me jealous because my dark green Blackfire`d Accord does not have that reflective shine. Would I be able to attain that reflectiveness and shine even though my Accord is dark green?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information