Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    One last question... If I get any material on mouldings, is there a special way to get it off? I`m thinking it`s unavoidable when using a buffer. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you asked about 3M SMR.

Today I washed, clayed a little, then used some 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound (fine cut) followed by 3M SMR for dark cars and topped off with some Meguires Gold Class wax.

Not exactly what I wanted to accomplish, but it was getting cold so I needed to hurry.

Will finish it off next weekend.

But it looks pretty good for a 1994 Land Cruiser with 135,000 miles

Only problems now is that it is so dang clean, i can see every little scratch and flaw in the clear. oh well, can`t have everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the before and after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stinkin 45 second rule!

ok, let`s hope the 3rd time is a charm. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    She looks great !
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice PC pic too!! Make me jealous since I have not replaced my broken craftsman yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice on Procedures

Hey erveryone!

I was hoping some of you can offer advice on what I do for basic detailing.

My exterior procedure:
    I start of with using a combo of Simple Green and Eagle One Wheel Cleaner on the rims and wheel wells. (I dont know what the purple stuff is but it seems like it works better than what I use)
    Pre-rinse the car and then use a wash mitt and the two bucket method (still need to get grit guards though!)
    Towel dry with a oversized waffle weave microfiber.
    Clay Bar the car to strip previous wax.
    M205 with a PC DA to correct minor abrasions.
    Blackfire Wet Diamond as a glaze
    Some kind of Meguiars liquid wax with the PC and another coat by hand.
    Zep Glass cleaner, Turtle Wax Tire Gel, etc

Interior:
    I use predominately ArmorAll products just because of decent price and easy availability.
    Vaccum with a standard Orek vaccum.
    Febreeze

So pretty much I was wondering if anyone can help me perfect my procedures. I am only 17 so I dont have a large source of cash, so Im not sure if there are prodcuts I can upgrade on without a huge increase of price. I dont use M105 mainly because Im not insured and I do not want to mess up and ruin a beautiful car. Also I`ve been looking into the ONR wash but I dont know how that works out or the whole foam gun approach. Anyways, if any of you have suggestions or tips to better my detailing, it would be much appreciated :clap:

Gimlet

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
    Hey erveryone!

I was hoping some of you can offer advice on what I do for basic detailing.

My exterior procedure:
    I start of with using a combo of Simple Green and Eagle One Wheel Cleaner on the rims and wheel wells. (I dont know what the purple stuff is but it seems like it works better than what I use)
    Pre-rinse the car and then use a wash mitt and the two bucket method (still need to get grit guards though!)
    Towel dry with a oversized waffle weave microfiber.
    Clay Bar the car to strip previous wax.
    M205 with a PC DA to correct minor abrasions.
    Blackfire Wet Diamond as a glaze
    Some kind of Meguiars liquid wax with the PC and another coat by hand.
    Zep Glass cleaner, Turtle Wax Tire Gel, etc

Interior:
    I use predominately ArmorAll products just because of decent price and easy availability.
    Vaccum with a standard Orek vaccum.
    Febreeze

So pretty much I was wondering if anyone can help me perfect my procedures. I am only 17 so I dont have a large source of cash, so Im not sure if there are prodcuts I can upgrade on without a huge increase of price. I dont use M105 mainly because Im not insured and I do not want to mess up and ruin a beautiful car. Also I`ve been looking into the ONR wash but I dont know how that works out or the whole foam gun approach. Anyways, if any of you have suggestions or tips to better my detailing, it would be much appreciated :clap:

Gimlet

I don`t see nothing wrong in what you are doing except be careful with OTC wheel cleaners because they are strong acid and alkaline cleaners can stain some wheel finishes, Try a leaf blower in aiding you in drying your cars and Blackfire Wet Diamond is a sealant and not a glaze. So you don`t have to put a spray wax on by machine just spray and buff off by hand.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice from Angelo. I however wouldn`t use Simple Green. Try the Purple Power and dilute it at 4:1 if you are using it on your wheels.

Also, ONR is one of the BEST detailing products ever made. You can use it as a No Rince Wash, a Quick Detailer, and Clay Lube.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    What company makes purple power? And to the BFWD: so I should still apply it after polishing and then just put a coat of wax on?

Also should I consider on incorporating M105 into my routine or is it too big of a risk? I would really like to get amazing results, but I also do not want to harm any cars due to inexperience. So any tips on using M105? And is ArmorAll decent for interior wipe down, or should I look elsewhere for a protectant, spot remover, and leather cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like
    What company makes purple power? And to the BFWD: so I should still apply it after polishing and then just put a coat of wax on?

Also should I consider on incorporating M105 into my routine or is it too big of a risk? I would really like to get amazing results, but I also do not want to harm any cars due to inexperience. So any tips on using M105? And is ArmorAll decent for interior wipe down, or should I look elsewhere for a protectant, spot remover, and leather cleaner?
    Purple Power is the Brand name. just like Simple Green. You can find it at any auto parts store or Walmart. It is readily available over the counter. Blackfire is made by the good folks here at Proper Auto Care / CMA. It is a sealant, and IMHO, it is the best sealant available anywhere.

Yes, the BFWD would be applied after the polishing stage. There is no need to top the BFWD with wax. Only if you want to. Though, I would never top it with a comercially available wax. The BFWD gives you such a slick, wet look, you wouldn`t want to do anything to take away from it.

I hope this helps.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it helps a lot, Barry. You`ve done nothing but help me since I signed up here, so I really appreciate it :notworthy: I will definitely go look for some purple power and I will experiment with the BFWD as long as it protects like wax does. I feel like if i just apply the BFWD I can save time and skip waxing. I will clean my dad`s car in the upcoming weeks and post my results and hopefull you guys can help me from there. Thank you so much

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it helps a lot, Barry. You`ve done nothing but help me since I signed up here, so I really appreciate it :notworthy: I will definitely go look for some purple power and I will experiment with the BFWD as long as it protects like wax does. I feel like if i just apply the BFWD I can save time and skip waxing. I will clean my dad`s car in the upcoming weeks and post my results and hopefull you guys can help me from there. Thank you so much
    My pleasure.
    Just remember when applyig the BFWD, to apply it very thin. It will give you better protection then a wax.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information