Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed, Pinnacle Souveran is awesome. Hey Jason, I think I read where you might be coming to Texas A&M (College Station.) If you do, you`re going to love it there. Great school with a great reputation. I should warn you though that if you go to the football games, you`re going to have to kiss a girl after every touchdown. So get ready. Or if you`re a cadet, get ready to do lots of pushups after every score. That university has unbelievable school spirit. Oh, and lets not even begin with the Aggie jokes. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Souveran rocks!

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ve got to love that pic. Very classy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am no fan of Gold Class. I honestly don`t think it shines any more than #26 does and it definately does not last as long. #26 goes on and off a lot easier too.

If you use Meguiars (and I have in my detailing business for the last 8 years), stick with the Mirror Glaze or better yet, the Body Shop Professional line. Surface prep is the key to a great shine with #26 since it is a pure wax. If your paint is in good shape, you can wax about every 6 weeks with #26 and use either Show Car Glaze or Hand Polish every other time, and your paint will look spectacular.

You can check out any of the cars on my website if you want to see how nice Meguiars prepped cars look.

www.scottwax.com
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Scottwax [/i]
    [B]...Surface prep is the key to a great shine with #26 since it is a pure wax. If your paint is in good shape, you can wax about every 6 weeks with #26 and use either Show Car Glaze or Hand Polish every other time, and your paint will look spectacular...</blockquote>
    Scott, Meguiars #26 (Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) is actually a combination of carnauba wax and silicones, polymers and other speciality waxes. <em class=`bbc`>Not sure what speciality waxes Meguiars is referring to.[/i] This is why this wax is so durable. I love this product.

Later,
    Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I use #20 Polymer sealant before Meguiars #26 (Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) for added protection?

Is there an advantage or just a waste of time?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you can lay down a coat of the #20, or do two applications if you did not prepare the surface and you want an added cleaning of the surface.

Then apply the #26 as usual, but with any polymer a cure time is necessary, I say #20 on a Friday night, or Saturday morning, then #26 24 hour later.

This should provide a good shine with the candy like shine of #20 and the depth and wetness of #26.

Happy Detailing

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Your Ideal Newbie Parts List

I was looking through all the post today and the question hit me, what is the laundry list that most professionals would advise a newbie to have? From all the power machines( DA`s, pressure/low pressure washers, etc.) to number of MF`s and 5 gal buckets. Basically, if you started over today with all your knowledge and none of the tools, what would you buy? I would like to see how everyone`s opinions are the same and where some differ.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits" - Ron White

Post Thanks / Like
    Lou,
    Welcome to TID and get ready for different opinions on what to use (some of us like to use ONR most/all the time). I am not a pro, but here is what I would suggest:

1. Never enough MF towels (maybe if you are Jack, then again, maybe not)
    2. 2 buckets (depends on your comfort with ONR/wash technique) just for wash
    3. UDM/Flex/GG DA - safest way for us noobs to polish the paint without trashing it in 30 seconds
    4. Polishes/compounds (M105/205 are a nice combo, but that is IMHO)
    5. Foam pads - at least 2 each (minimum I have found) foam for meduim/heavy compounding, light compounding/polishing, dedicated polishing pad (especially if you use some of the sealants that are a bugger to get out of the pads - I`m looking at you BFWD!)
    6. Variety of APC/degreaser, bug & tar remover, wheel cleaner (for brakedust), car wash (ONR, Megs, etc..)
    7. Brushes for cleaning interior and exterior (need to try some BH brushes soon)
    8. Good shopvac (meaning better than average suction) and the assorted tips for interior cleaning
    9. Sealant/wax for protecting your invested time
    10. Bookmark to TID - you will have more questions even after reading..

Best of luck and keep posting,
    Gungy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Lou,
    Welcome to TID and get ready for different opinions on what to use (some of us like to use ONR most/all the time). I am not a pro, but here is what I would suggest:

1. Never enough MF towels (maybe if you are Jack, then again, maybe not)
    2. 2 buckets (depends on your comfort with ONR/wash technique) just for wash
    3. UDM/Flex/GG DA - safest way for us noobs to polish the paint without trashing it in 30 seconds
    4. Polishes/compounds (M105/205 are a nice combo, but that is IMHO)
    5. Foam pads - at least 2 each (minimum I have found) foam for meduim/heavy compounding, light compounding/polishing, dedicated polishing pad (especially if you use some of the sealants that are a bugger to get out of the pads - I`m looking at you BFWD!)
    6. Variety of APC/degreaser, bug & tar remover, wheel cleaner (for brakedust), car wash (ONR, Megs, etc..)
    7. Brushes for cleaning interior and exterior (need to try some BH brushes soon)
    8. Good shopvac (meaning better than average suction) and the assorted tips for interior cleaning
    9. Sealant/wax for protecting your invested time
    10. Bookmark to TID - you will have more questions even after reading..

Best of luck and keep posting,
    Gungy
    Very good list from Hary (Grungy)

The only think that I would change is the amount of pads. You will need at least 6 of each. I never realized how many pads I would be using. You can never have too many pads.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree Barry - if you are starting out, you need to figure out which pads you like, so having at least 2 of each type is my bare minimum (wish I had 6, but I need to try those Surbuf, tangerine and maroon pads)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with grungy and Barry. Grungy had a great list and like Barry said you can never have enough pads. The most important part though is the passion and dedication to learning the craft. If you have the determination to become great then you will.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    hi there.. i am quite the newbie myself and don`t understand a whole lot about different parts. so i`m checking the net to see about these car parts

Eclipse CD7100
    GMC Parts

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which car parts are you talking about adambullet?
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information