Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, so is that just one coat of SG? > than 3 reeeeally knocks you off your feet!

LC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliments!! I`m gonna put 2 to 3 coats of SG over Christmas break. Do you guys think it`d be too long?

Short cut, I think it`s just the light because when I went downstairs and looked, nothing was there.

I showed dad the car earlier today. His impression was funny after seeing how reflective and smooth it is!

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    ExplEddieBauer, I thought that was me in your pic, I guess we look kinda similar, haha.

good job
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like

How often and what products?

I am a newbie who has never really cared about car care until I bought a new tuxedo black ford this past November. During the couple of snow storms in the mid-atlantic region my daughter, 5, was ?helping me? dig out and was cleaning the cars. Well the plastic ice scraper she was using on the car left marks. So in march I was able to use advice for TID forums and I cleaned the car. I used Klasse AIO, which a neighbor lent me along with his pc random machine. After I applied a top coat of BFWD and the car is looking Sweet. Since march I have been trying to was the car at least once a week. And if that happens to fall on Saturday, I wash, dry and QD with BF spray sealant. Today I just washed and dried the car but now I am starting to notice very fine scratches in the surface. When I bought the black car I knew it would require the extra to keep it looking good. I have been using the 2 bucket method w/grit guards, all micro fibers wash mitts and towel for drying and polishing. My wife just laughs and calls me anal...

After reading the forums I find the people here are doing amazing work on neglected vehicles. But what do you do with your daily drives? What do you use and how often??
    I?m sure this has been address many time?but every time I read through the posts?.My head starts spinning from all of the info!!

Thanks

Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave... beautiful car!!! I can see why you want to keep it nice.

No doubt, black cars do require much more maintenance that lighter colored vehicles. But they sure look good!!!!!

You`re doing the right thing by washing and maintaining every week. The light scratches you are seeing, we call "swirl-marks". They are a result of your wash mitt, sponge, microfiber towels or drying towels rubbing across the surface of the paint.

It`s really hard to avoid, especially on a daily driver that collects a lot of daily road dirt. Be sure to use a wash mitt that "releases" the dirt well. Sheepskin or microfiber mitts work well. 2-bucket method with grit guard, as you stated.

For drying, I use a leaf blower first, then dry with a Big Blue Drying towel or Absorber.

Claybar and apply sealant every 3-4 months, then maintain with washes and QD.

And to remove those swirl marks, you`ll need to polish (probably once a year... I usually do my DD`s in the spring). A Random Orbit polisher, some pads and some Meguiars M105/M205 would be a good investment for you.:w00t:

Hope this helps!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

I agree 100% with Bill. He gave you great advise.

On my DD, which is kept outside 24/7, I polish once in the spring and once in the fall. Always clay the car before polishing, and when polishing make sure that your pads are clean. If you have any dirt in the pad, you are just making matters worse. Also, as a DD, after you apply BFWD, and let it cure for at least 12 hrs, you might want to top it with something like Collinite 845iw for that added protection.

BTW, there is nothing anal about taking care of your car.

Let us know how it turns out and be sure to post some pictures after you finish.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys
    I thought maybe there was something I was doing wrong or something else to keep the swirls away....
    So I guess I`ll do my best to keep the wash mitts dirt free and polish once or twice a year!

Dave
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDaze View Post
    Thanks guys
    I thought maybe there was something I was doing wrong or something else to keep the swirls away....
    So I guess I`ll do my best to keep the wash mitts dirt free and polish once or twice a year!

Dave
    My detailing "mentor" aka DetailDude, said to me years ago: "Every time you touch your car with a wash mitt or microfiber towel and every time you dry your car, you are scratching it."

So, if you want to keep it clean, the minor swirls are unavoidable. Soft microfibers and wash mitts are the key. Remember to use VERY LIGHT PRESSURE when washing and drying. I`ve seen guys "grind" the wash mitt into the paint, like they were killing snakes!!!!! The weight of the saturated mitt should be enough to remove the loose dirt.

Another good practice is to pre-soak the car before washing. (Especially helpful on a dark-colored car). I like to use the Gilmour Foam Gun. I spatters car-wash foam all over the car and softens the dirt. Then rinse before washing in the normal 2-bucket way.:biggrin:

Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What great advice has been given.

I own a black car. They will break your heart. You can polish them to near-perfection, yet within six months you may find yourself, despite all your best efforts and care, right back where you were with the swirls. This is why black car owners need to adopt the 3 foot rule: If your car looks good when you`re standing three feet away, rejoice!

So you will have to ask yourself, "How important is it that I have a swirl-free car?" There`s no way to effectively eliminate the swirls except by investing in a dual action polisher, polishes, pads, etc. That`s a fair piece of change. It will also require a good investment of time and energy once or twice a year. But it can be very rewarding. :thumbup:

If you decide not to go the machine polishing route, then simply continue the good work you are doing now. The important thing is to adopt a workable wash & wax regimen and to stick with it. You already two excellent products: Klasse AIO and Blackfire Wet Diamond. I think it is a good idea to use the AIO a few times a year to clean the paint and then top it with the BWD. You don`t have to use the AIO every time you wax--just work it into your schedule. You may want to conjoin the AIO with claying--or not. It`s all up to you. Perhaps the most important thing is to attend to your wash method, as you are already doing. This past winter I put some scratches into my hood during one of my ONR rinses. Some grit must have gotten into my wash mitt and I didn`t realize it. I was so angry with myself when I later saw what I had done.

As I said, black cars will break your heart. But when they look gorgeous, they look gorgeous. Enjoy and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    My detailing "mentor" aka DetailDude, said to me years ago: "Every time you touch your car with a wash mitt or microfiber towel and every time you dry your car, you are scratching it."

So, if you want to keep it clean, the minor swirls are unavoidable. Soft microfibers and wash mitts are the key. Remember to use VERY LIGHT PRESSURE when washing and drying. I`ve seen guys "grind" the wash mitt into the paint, like they were killing snakes!!!!! The weight of the saturated mitt should be enough to remove the loose dirt.

Another good practice is to pre-soak the car before washing. (Especially helpful on a dark-colored car). I like to use the Gilmour Foam Gun. I spatters car-wash foam all over the car and softens the dirt. Then rinse before washing in the normal 2-bucket way.:biggrin:

Does foaming remove any of the protection that you`ve applied to the surface?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro.mom View Post
    Does foaming remove any of the protection that you`ve applied to the surface?
    No... It`s just car wash soap. It simply softens and loosens the dirt that`s on the car so it can be removed more easily, reducing the potential for wash-induced swirls.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The key is you need to clean the paint very well in the end. If it is not clean, the next time you touch the paint (drying, detailer, etc), you will just grind it in the paint.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill...I`ve thought about a foam gun before...I think it will serve other needs around the house as well...might be time to buy and try!!!!

They will break your heart. You can polish them to near-perfection, yet within six months you may find yourself, despite all your best efforts and care, right back where you were with the swirls. This is why black car owners need to adopt the 3 foot rule: If your car looks good when you`re standing three feet away, rejoice!
    Well I just applied the 3 foot rule and the car looks great....I`m guessing than when the car shows at 3 feet it will be time to polish....

Thanks

Dave
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information