Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: polish defined?

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo330I [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

Fine. My bad. Maybe "ridiculing" was a bit of a harsh word. Anyway, like I said... no big deal. [/b]</blockquote>Yeah, it`s not a big deal. I only made a point because I believe Ripsnort didn`t mean it that way. Laters.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    I can honestly say I never care what the product smells like when going on the outside of the car. Who cares! When you wipe it off the smell is gone. Unless of course it makes you sick to your stomach. But really smell as a category?

I guess they tried but I found the site difficult to navigate and a PIA. Maybe later on I will study closer and read everything. I do give them credit for trying.

Ripsnort, how did you find the site? Did another site give you a link?

Post Thanks / Like
    My motto is "Use what you like, like what you use". I guess the point is, we all have an opinion on waxes and what experienced with different waxes. Its pretty much stictly opinion based. Long term effects on the same wax type over years is truly the only `protection` test we could come to conclusive evidence on, but as I said in my previous post, thats pretty much impossible to do. What we see, what we experience in the application results of a product is what makes the product appealing to us. Prep, application, consistent maintainence is the key to any product that we use.

I did agree with a few waxes they tested, and I had also used in the past. All of it is purely objectional to each individuals tastes.

Post Thanks / Like
    so has anyone have any real good experience with the P21S? i know some have but i never paid much attention to it. since it seems like the P21s beat the crap out of all the waxes in the world from that test, i just wana see from real experienced people about this product

Post Thanks / Like
    Ng Luder,

Take that test with a grain of salt. Some of their conclusions seem questionable at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    GMN said: "Ripsnort, how did you find the site? Did another site give you a link?"

It was posted on the BMW/PORCHE roadfly site.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Ng Luder [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>so has anyone have any real good experience with the P21S? i know some have but i never paid much attention to it. [/b]</blockquote>Never tried it, but I hear that durability is lacking! Great for Garage Queens!! :p
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    just some thoughts...

I would think that it would be very difficult to make reliable comparisons based on a 10"X10" square on panel of a car. I would think that it would take 40 cars of the same make and color to thoroughly test all of these waxes.

Durability??? Just how can you test durability on a 10" square panel of a car? Even a low quality wax will last under a "no drive" environment. I would want to test them under real daily use conditions.

I am curious as to the time table the test was performed. I would think that after staring at a red/blue panel, testing wax after wax, that after about wax#5 they would all start to look alike. I would also think that it would take literally months to perform a test that is this extensive.

Did they carefully read and adhere to the instructions of all 40 waxes? A lot of waxes and a lot of different applications.

Don`t get me wrong, you have to admire these guys` dedication to detailing and their test, they have a great idea and their intentions are right on. I just think that there are more questions left unanswered than answered. Then again they probably didn`t expect to find a bunch of detailing crazed nuts like there is here on the Autopia Forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently for Klasse, they just used one coat of AIO. As we all know until you add SG in 2-4 plus layers, the results are not that great. Since many waxes cannot be layered, that`s where Klasse "shines" in more ways than one

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest problem I have is with their surface preparation:

"We used Meguiar`s Professional Series buffing compounds on our panels, in varrying levels of aggressiveness. We started all of them with Medium Cut Cleaner, eventually working our way to Swirl Free Polish."

At this point it is going to be extremely difficult to notice any improvement applying a final coat of wax or sealant after doing that much surface preparation. You would definitely at least need an expensive gloss meter to have some objectivity. Who determined the results? Did 5 guys stand around knowing what was applied to a certain panel and rate it...or did they at least use double blind subjective judging? Did they take an average of all the judges results? And how many judges were there?

And after the surface was prepared they should have washed with Dawn to remove any oil residues from the Meguiar`s products which may have interfered with proper surface bonding.

I could probably type 10 pages about other problems with their testing procedures and results but don`t have the time to be bothered.

I give them them an A for effort but an F for planning and a C for the way the testing was carried out.

The results are pretty much useless.

Post Thanks / Like

The results are pretty much useless.</blockquote>
    I agree.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a test with Zymol and Zaino, and a few others that I read about some time ago. They applied about 8 different products to the hood of a car. I think it was more of a durability test that lasted a few months and Zaino came out the leader in durability and shine. I looked around for the site, but couldn`t find it. Maybe someone here remembers. Was it the NSX site??

H

Post Thanks / Like
    It was the NSX site , the hood they used for the test was full of swirls. Laters.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with RIC that prepping the surfaces the way they did would make it very hard to spot minute differences in the shine, depth and clarity. Prepping the paint is where most of the shine comes from.

I was suprised to see that 3Ms Perfect-it Paste wax was so average. I have found it has a really good shine and like Meguiars High Tech Yellow, leaves no white residue-but I do agree it can be a major ````` to remove. I also noticed they did not test High Tech Yellow liquid, which I have found to work better and is easier to use than the paste version. I am not a big fan of Gold Glass, mostly because of the chalky residue and it can be hard to remove.

The big suprise was their preferrence of Medallion. I agreed with their initial accessment about the streakiness, but it seems they have corrected the problem. Unfortunately, it goes for $70 a gallon and High Tech Yellow is $26 a gallon. I will have to check it again to see if it is worth almost 3 times the cost.

As far as Zaino followers being `cult-like`, well...I will say they are a devoted bunch, sort of like Amway salespeople, except they just want you to try it, instead of recruiting you to sell it yourself. Yeah, go ahead and flame me if you want, but you Zaino people know how protective you are of your favorite wax.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    New update from the waxtest website about Zaino:

"Update 10/22/01 While our site has been live for less than 8 hours, we`ve already received e-mails from Zaino users calling us "chikins (sic), stuped (sic), morrons (sic), morons, dumbasses," etc. Relax, people! It`s only a website. We simply stated we were shocked with the results...just because your favorite wasn`t our favorite is no reason to start kicking and screaming...Please re-read that these are our INITIAL results, and that we`ll have to see how things progress over time. And to confuse everyone more, we`ve had dozens of people write to say they agreed with our initial findings...sorry guys, but lighten-up!"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information