Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: polish defined?

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing they are forgetting is that different waxes/sealants, polishes tend to work differently with the paints on different cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prep and tecnique are more important. Its more important to get out all of the swirls then to have a slightly deeper finish. Yeah, even though i dont use it and dont care too much for klasse bashings or vice versa, zaino is a good produst. Little weird in the application and could use a tad more depth (thank you Blackfire), but i would definately be happy using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think the only true "test" if there ever is such a thing is using the same wax, for the same finish,over a period of, say, 10 years, with the same environmental conditions...and repeat that test with other waxes under the same circumstances. That would determine which protected your finish better, but then again, it would be almost impossible to have the test .

Yes, surface prep, application, removal, etc. is to me more important than the wax itself. When friends ask what kind of wax I use on my autos, I tell them the techniques that I used (and some gathered from this website, via my new Porter Cable) rather than the brand of wax I use. To me, they are all so close to each other for reflection, some last longer than others, some are easier to remove than others...but bottom line is "car care", not the wax. I`m sure some will disagree, but this is just my 25 years experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    But if I hear another "review" that states that "Zaino is just so difficult to use - with hours and hours of waiting time yadda yadda dingdong..." Well, there is just no telling. To bag on somebody`s web site for having typos is fair game (their site isn`t THAT bad, though) and to point out that they don`t take credit card orders - fair. Oh, they hate Netscape too.

I am now going to do some shopping in my very poorly detailed Corvette. It is so dull and rough. What was I thinking...
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    An update was just added to the Zaino section of the test, here is what is says:

update: We just learned that Zaino Polish Lok contains similar ingredients as Liquid Glass. Check out our review of Liquid Glass to see what we think of Aliphatic Hydrocarbons...Our apologies for missing this, and our thanks to a visitor who pointed this out to us. We`re currently arranging for a chemical analysis of all of the products, however, our chemist friend is already overworked! If anyone has suggestions, please contact us at: feedback@thewaxtest.com.

They gave Liquid Glass a "D-" and here is what they say about Liquid Glass:

Notes: After typing in all of those ingredients, we contacted a chemist and asked her about the chemicals listed in Liquid Glass. She referred us to some helpful (but boring) websites, where we learned that `Aliphatic hydrocarbons are major components of everyday materials such as turpentine, gasoline and oil-based paints`, and that `Aliphatic petroleum distillates are often found in chemicals such as Mineral Spirits, Paint Thinner, Stoddard Solvent (kerosene), Petroleum Naptha, Petroleum Distillate, Cyclohexane, Octane, Pentane, and Nonane.` The remaining ingredients are so nondescriptive, we`re not sure what they could be...what exactly is a moisturizer? Oil? Water? Vaseline? We don`t plan on using this stuff on any of our cars anytime soon. On our panel, we noted it was easy to apply and remove, although it streaked after about an hour of curing. We also noted that it had a strong cleaning effect - it started taking off the permanent marker we used to "label" the section. Use at your own risk; we know people who swear by the stuff, and that`s cool with us - just don`t rub any on our cars!...maybe pour it in the gas tank, but otherwise...

Now Zaino is as horrible has Liquid Glass to them

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe someone needs to clue those guys in to the wax over Klasse trick. Given the longevity of Klasse, and pick of waxes for a topper, this combo should certainly be rated in a totally different category...best of the best!

I used Zaino last week on my sons car and this was very simple to apply and remove. I guess the two step process and instructions to use a quality towel that will not scratch, threw them off... duh. It is also the slickest product that I have used, I don`t know how they could have missed that.

As for the bashing of LG for petroleum distillates, I think all of the sealants ie Klasse, Zaino, LG have them. The idea is to put them on your car and not to drink them!

The one thing that I agreed with from their test is that Souveran clumps. I didn`t really find that it affected the (very superior) result, but it was a little weird when applying it. Also, the clumping didn`t start until the 2nd or 3rd use, so maybe the heat in my garage and dropping it on the floor had something to do with that. I store in in the freezer now and occasionally make Pina Colada`s with it...since it is all natural and has no petroleum distillates!

H

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Ripsnort [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Hehe, funny how defensive folks become of "their" products. [/b]</blockquote>
    Ripsnort, there`s no need to laugh at us and ridicule our "defensive" reactions. We just feel the need to take issue with some of the ridiculous stuff they say. I mean, come on. Zaino is difficult to apply and has poor reflectivity? And a C- for Klasse in reflectivity? Give me a break.

Anyway, no biggie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just took a look at the site, and I actually like the concept!! Granted these guys seem to not be as knowledgeable as they claim, ex.

"The Blitz One Grand wax was a decent wax, and we`d compare it to the cheaper (and more readily available) Meguiar`s Gold Class wax. The Blitz was an alright wax, but the excessive chalky-white haze that resulted was disappointing. Ever try to get that stuff off of your bumper trim?"

If they were really enthusiasts then they wouldn`t get it all over the bumper!! They also rated Blitz a B-!!! It also compares to "Gold Class"!!! Are they nuts?? Any Autopian would surely agree that Blitz carries the most bang for the buck of any wax!! No?? Granted, it`s probably not in the Pinnacle/P21s league but certainly no Gold Class!! :bounce Thanks for letting me vent on one detailing site that is not biased, and won`t take off points for typos!!
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo330I [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`> Ripsnort, there`s no need to laugh at us and ridicule our "defensive" reactions. [/b]</blockquote>Actually, I believe that he has a valid point. Also, I am not Ripsnort but I do not believe that his comments were ridiculing Autopians.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    ALL products contain petroleum distillates of some sort. Aliphatic hydrocarbons are just straight chain hydrocarbons like ethane, butane, methane,etc,etc. There are thousands of them.

To say 2 products are the same because they both contain petroleum distillates is false by a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t kill these guys that made that site that much, it`s just that they sound like Consumer Reports: non-enthusiasts. They simply don`t appreciate the tiny little difference in shine.

As for being defensive, I would be too!

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    they`re correct, they aren`t scientists. Maybe using Klasse as directed (or Zaino) doesn`t work as well as how we recommend. I don`t think they botched the tests they just didn`t work K and Z the way we are used to. I guess we`ll never know. My solution is to have a detail off. All the same cars on different wax systems, see who looks best.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I forgot to add, you sometimes have to experiment around with the products. Proper application techniques and surface prep is imperative.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Dave C. [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>
    Actually, I believe that he has a valid point. Also, I am not Ripsnort but I do not believe that his comments were ridiculing Autopians. [/b]</blockquote>
    Fine. My bad. Maybe "ridiculing" was a bit of a harsh word. Anyway, like I said... no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll offer to buy their remaining portion of Zaino and Klasse for pennies on the dollar.

"Now, before you get mad at us and send us hate e-mail, consider this: we bought all of these waxes with our own cash (over $1500 worth), and didn`t tell anyone what our intentions were."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information