Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

micro fiber washing techniques?

I tend to get a 5 gallon bucket and put 3 scoops of oxy clean then put about 4 gallons of fire hot water in and dump cloths in and stir them up a bit let sit for about 30-45 mins then use the washing machine with 1 scoop of oxy then dry on low heat

how do you guys take care of your MF`s?

Post Thanks / Like
    During the detail, I have 2 bins. 1 for good towels (paint only), and 1 for the other microfibers (jams, wheels, interior, etc..). I wash them seperately. I have a HD washer, so I use a scent free, pure detergent with no fabric softeners. Then I dry them with low heat, and no dryer sheet.
    David Strum
    Charlotte, NC

Finance during the week, finishes on the weekends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoons2k View Post
    I tend to get a 5 gallon bucket and put 3 scoops of oxy clean then put about 4 gallons of fire hot water in and dump cloths in and stir them up a bit let sit for about 30-45 mins then use the washing machine with 1 scoop of oxy then dry on low heat

how do you guys take care of your MF`s?
    I don`t think you`re supposed to use hot water on MF towels, but hey, if it works for you....
    I just throw them in the washer and use non-scented detergent. I then tumble dry on low heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Termigator View Post
    I don`t think you`re supposed to use hot water on MF towels, but hey, if it works for you....
    I just throw them in the washer and use non-scented detergent. I then tumble dry on low heat.
    i think the heat just pertains to the drying not the water... if im wrong please let me know but i have been doing it for years and my mf`s still work like their brand new

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoons, if your towels aren`t scratching your paint then I wouldn`t worry about it. Why fix it if it isn`t broke?

Post Thanks / Like
    I also segregate into two wash loads... paint and grunge.

The "paint" load goes into the washer first with warm water, Tide detergent, 2 scoops of Oxyclean, 2 cups of Purple Power. Then into the dryer, no dryer sheet.

I repeat the process for the "grunge" load.

Then I have to wipe the interior of the washer with Purple Power to clean up the "ring"... haha
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Warm wash / cold rinse with a scent-free detergent. After the spin cycle, I initiate a second rinse and add a half cup of white vinegar. Air dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I also segregate into two wash loads... paint and grunge.

The "paint" load goes into the washer first with warm water, Tide detergent, 2 scoops of Oxyclean, 2 cups of Purple Power. Then into the dryer, no dryer sheet.

I repeat the process for the "grunge" load.

Then I have to wipe the interior of the washer with Purple Power to clean up the "ring"... haha
    haha THE Black Ring is what i guess your reffering to lol

i found out that if you presoak the clothes in a bucket first you eliminate the ring in the washer adn it stays in the bucket and the Mf`s tend to come out alot fluffyer

TOGWT
    Micro fibre Care

Proper care is simple; to ensure your towels and buffing cloths provide long-term use, wash them frequently after every use and as soon as possible, in a liquid soap (Micro Restore) in hot 120oF< (48oC <) water, add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar, the vinegar doesn`t coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue (do not use fabric softener) in the rise cycle, and finally a thorough cold rinse. Always wash micro fibre separately and only with other micro fibre fabrics. Use the hot setting on dryer, no softener sheets (your towels will not melt)

If this doesn`t completely clean them use distilled water, place your towels in the pan and bring to a slow boil for 10 to 15 minutes. There will be a film that rises to the top of the water which you should skim off (these are minerals and impurities found in regular tap water) Drain the water from the pan before removing the towels, and then hang the towels to air-dry.

Regardless of material type or quality, a dirty micro fibre, or a 100% Cotton towel will scratch, micro fibre has attractant properties, that is dirt, dust, and various other substances cling to it, which is one of the reasons that it works so well, but it is also a reason why you need to be extra careful when using towels on your paint

Extract from ?Micro fibre (Microfiber) Towels ? one of a series of in-depth detailing articles by TOGWT ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoons2k View Post
    haha THE Black Ring is what i guess your reffering to lol

i found out that if you presoak the clothes in a bucket first you eliminate the ring in the washer adn it stays in the bucket and the Mf`s tend to come out alot fluffyer
    LOL,,,, Yes I`m referring to the "Black Ring"; Kinda like the "Black Hole"!!!

I`ll try pre-soaking them first. The bucket is easier to clean up!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot water wash with detergent, may be "boosted" with Oxyclean, Borax, BioKleen (APC or Bac-Out) as needed.

Fill your fabric softener dispenser with 5% white vinegar (@1/2 cup), measuring tsp/towel is a waste of effort IMO. At the end of the first rinse, check the amount of suds in the water. If it looks excessive, a second rinse may be beneficial. If not, why waste the electricity/water to little or no benefit?

Dry on LOW heat or air dry. I prefer the former for time sake and the Wife doesn`t care for the clutter. HOT dryer temps lead to over drying which unnecessarily promotes static electricity. The damage to the towels may never present itself, but there are very few fabrics which benefit from excessive heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    i really just presoak them first because the washer i have is a front load washer and i just cant ruin it completly just yet

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would bump this old thread to see if anyone is trying anything new. I usually hang my towels and allow them to air dry. Today I`m going to use some dryer balls that I came across. Does anyone else use them?

BTW, this is going to be my process for today. 24 new misc. use mf towels washed with two ounces of mf restore and unscented soap. Final rinse will receive 1/2 cup of vinegar in rinse cycle. Once in the dryer, they`ll be dried using warm air and dryer balls.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always washed my micro`s seperately, in cold water (vinager, cleaner solution I mix at our factory) and no fabric softener. I line dry instead of using the dryer to avoid a static charge on the micro`s. I got this tip from Terry (the king of MF). From what I understand from the previous posts you folks are using the dryer and not getting the static. If this is a fact, please let me know as I would love not having to line dry 100 microfibers at a time. As you can imagine... it`s a pain. Please let me know.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwirlBFree View Post
    Warm wash / cold rinse with a scent-free detergent. After the spin cycle, I initiate a second rinse and add a half cup of white vinegar. Air dry.
    i agree except i was in hot water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information