Post Thanks / Like

1 gal pump up sprayer

I usually use a 1 gal pump up sprayer for shooting carpet cleaner on carpets. a plastic one. I take the pressure off and pull the pump after every use and hang it up and cover the container. the problem is that I still can`t get a pump to last over 1 year. The seal in the pump disentagrates and won`t pump air. I use a orange base cleaner for the carpets dilute 2 oz per gal. doesn`t seem to pull carpet color and does a good job on stains and doesn`t seem to attract to much dirt. The sprayer has a 2 year warranty but I am sick and tired of having to keep going back and replace it. Anyone know where I can get a decent sprayer that won`t go to pieces in a year or less? Thanks Warren

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 gal pump up sprayer

I use Solo Chemical applicators, Model 454. Five year warranty and rebuild parts are readily available.

The solution shouldn`t be degrading the plunger assembly since it can`t (shouldn`t) enter the tube.

Do you lubricate the plunger often? Sil-Glyde is an excellent lubricant for any pump sprayer.
    Is there anything lodged between the inlet/backflow valve (bottom of tube) and the plunger tube?
    It only takes a piece of sand to allow the chemicals to be drawn into the plunger tube.

Always pump in a vertical direction. Any slant on the pump handle may carve out the tube, creating compression loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the one gallon pump sprayers I have can be rebuilt with new gaskets and some petrolium jelly(I think that`s what it is, its white). Might wanna see if you can remove the plunger from the pump assembly to see how it creates the pressure.

If you really only get a year out of them Menards has nice 1 gallon pump sprayers for 7 dollars.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
    Fergy-

Your only as good as your last detail

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve seen the Solos on Amazon and there is a nice assortment of sprayers and related equipment on Gemplers.

For my landscaping chores, I too basically get a year out of them, so I buy the cheapies as disposables.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a one gallon sprayer at Wal Mart for 20 bucks I used it for spraying my driveway weeds.
    Used it 3 or 4 times and it stopped working.
    I thought maybe I just had a bad one so I bought another one it worked about 5 times and stopped working.
    All that cheap stuff is made in china and not worth carrying home.

The younger people have never used anything else they are willing to accept it but I can remember a all metal Hudson sprayer I bought back in the 60`s that lasted for decades.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same experience with the same kind of sprayers, but they acted up only with mulch dye. The Round Up ones from Home Depot hare a little better. I think nowadays to get ones like the old school kind you have to spend $$$ and buy them from speciality landscaping/tools websites.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly I paid a little extra and got the sprayer with the bigger fill and the pressure relief valve. I got it at the local Ace Hardware store and they replaced it with another one so I can`t complain about the store service. I seems like the gasket/seal at the bottom of the plunger dissentegrates and it won`t build up pressure, I find little pieces in the tank. I am going to look for a better one online. Thanks to all who replied

Post Thanks / Like

The problems I`ve always had were not with the gaskets but with the sprayer and sprayer tube assembly. Be sure to look into those parts that will last too. Since I need multiple sprayer bottles for landscaping chores, I just buy cheapies when they fail.

Thread Information