Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

help deciding on camera for detailing pics

I am considering buying a DSLR camera to take good before and after photos of my work for my new detailing business. I am not experienced with high end digital cameras, and I think I need to start with something that will provide great pics but is fairly intuitive. I did some researching on the internet, and have come up with one option so far. The Canon Rebel xsi. Its going to be around $800-900 including a lens package and other needed items.

Any advice/feedback welcome

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help deciding on camera for detailing pics

I use the Canon Rebel EOS Rebel XT. I love this camera. My only beef with it is it is big and not convenient to take places.

OK one more beef. You have to look through the view finder to take pics instead of use the LCD screen. I didn`t like that at all when I got the camera but I have grown used to it now.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No offense, but for that kind of money you can get some real good detailing equipment ... before and after pictures are nice for the hobbiest, but your professional reputation will be built on the actual work done and the service you provide your customers. An extractor, steam cleaner, ionizer, etc are good investments in a detailing business, not photography. Word of mouth is your best advertisement, just provide the best service and results and pictures can be your hobby.

If you have all of the above tools, never mind and I`ll jump off my soap box
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think a nice all around camera is the Canon S5 IS. It is not a DSLR but is a super zoom type with a pop out LCD. It is under $250. It has very nice macro function (get very close) compared to many DSLRs

For DSLR, the entry Nikon D40/D60 and Canons are quite nice but they can be a bit heavier and a lot more money.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

WOW you guys think it`s big????

the XT is small light and ... SMALL...

I think troy would get hurt with my monster...

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Don`t own that camera so I can`t offer any feedback. I can say that the old manual 35mm Canon AT-1 was a great camera, but that camera would be 30 years old by now.

Can`t even comfortably give you any advice, since I`m not a professional photographer and I don`t take pictures of my vehicles or my customer`s vehicles for display or publication. I am full of opinions and I can ask some questions.

1. Is this camera primary use for auto detailing related work?
    1a. Will you be using it for preparing a physical portfolio and/or for posting on the internet?

My OPINION is that this is quite a financial outlay if the above is the primary purpose. (Of course you could be rich and $900 is pocket change). For just taking pictures to post on the internet, the camera looks to be overkill. I`m thinking that a good photographer can do wonders with a lesser camera, but an expensive camera won`t make a bad photographer a good photographer.

Troy, I`ve found that even with my eyes while the LCD screen viewer can be a blessing it can prove problematic when the ambient lighting doesn`t cooperate.

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on taking on photography as a hobby, then go for it. $900 is a small sum (relatively speaking) for getting into digital photography with a DSLR these days. I would stick to the Canon and Nikon offerings as they are best supported by other manufacturers for accessories and such and they have the greatest selection of lenses without question for when your needs/abilities progress. LIke others have said, if it`s solely for pics of detailing before and afters, it may be overkill. At the minimum, you should have a camera with macro capability and manual exposure control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George`s MM&D View Post
    I am considering buying a DSLR camera to take good before and after photos of my work for my new detailing business. I am not experienced with high end digital cameras, and I think I need to start with something that will provide great pics but is fairly intuitive. I did some researching on the internet, and have come up with one option so far. The Canon Rebel xsi. Its going to be around $800-900 including a lens package and other needed items.

Any advice/feedback welcome
    $900 For a begginer.Who died?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I think a nice all around camera is the Canon S5 IS. It is not a DSLR but is a super zoom type with a pop out LCD. It is under $250. It has very nice macro function (get very close) compared to many DSLRs

For DSLR, the entry Nikon D40/D60 and Canons are quite nice but they can be a bit heavier and a lot more money.
    Bunky is the man to ask about a camera .I was looking at the nikon D40 great camera but can`t stand the size of them so for now just sticking with my casio point and shoot has a lcd screen and 5 megapixel .Works fine easy to carry
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i was planning on using it to post great high res portfolio pics on my website (and before and afters). If I can accomplish this with a simple point-and-shoot, I`m down... I didn`t know they were that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve owned my Nikon D70 for several years now, & I`m completely satisfied with it even though it`s fairly dated technology now. But! Don`t spend the money for a DSLR unless you plan on taking pics of moving things. You can take beautiful pics of stationary things with a nice point n shoot. However, if you want a DSLR I`d read these articles:
    Recommended Cameras
    Nikon D40

Post Thanks / Like

I have read Ken Rockwell`s stuff. We own Nikons (D70s, D90) but it is strange that he clearly configures his camera (exposure compensation, color) to settings most would never do. For ex. on the D40 he says it is great yet makes about exposure inaccuracy and shoots with some dramatic compensation values...every day person is not likely do that or want to do that. That is why they buy a camera.

Unless you really need higher ISO performance (shooting in low flash without flash) or special lens (like a 35mm f1.8), the point and shoots are usually good enough especially if you plan to leave your DSLR on program/automatic all the time. If you plan to tinker with the settings by learning how the camera behaves, then you are ready for a DSLR.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I hear these are still in...

untitled.bmp
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

I`m looking at the Nikon Coolpix L100 now. Will I be able to get up close pics of vehicle finishes, to compare before and after with this one? Its a point and shoot, and supposedly has some of the benefits of a dslr

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you`ll be able to take excellent quality pics with that camera. Whatever you get, whether Nikon or Canon, just make sure it feels good in your hands, & that you`re comfortable using it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information