Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

New member help: overcoat vs cosmic spritz vs Viking spritz

Coating black mustang with 2 coats cquk 3.0 followed by Gyeon cancoat in March. Buying all stuff now as I want to be ready. I have a gallon of Shinesupply clutch I will be topping with but also want to add to ech20 as drying aid and QD. Every two months lwould like to top with something more substantial. Just spent poop load on polisher, pads, above mention supply’s and lots else and only would like to buy one of the three mentioned in title. Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New member help: overcoat vs cosmic spritz vs Viking spritz

IMO, which is worth exactly what you`re paying for it (i.e. nothing) you`re waaaay overdoing it. More is not always better and you have an awful lot of SiO2 products lined up to use. While I have no experience with CK UK 3.0, my inclination would be to do 2 coats of CQ UK 3.0 topped monthly by one of the products in your title. I have used the PA Cosmic Spritz and Overcoat extensively but not Viking Coat.

Both Overcoat and Cosmic Spritz have excellent hydrophobic/self cleaning properties; Cosmic is a bit easier to use and has a sharper, more blingy look and I think Overcoat has a very slight edge in durability/self cleaning with a bit richer look.

Given both of their excellent hydrophobic qualities, topping with Echo2 or Clutch could actually diminish those effects but can`t say for sure as I`ve never used either.

For a month or 2 over the summer of 2017, I tried washing our coated car with Gyeon Bathe+ (SiO2 enhanced wash), doing a final rinse with Gyeon WetCoat and then topping with Overcoat...it was, in my eyes, pointless and offered no benefits over just washing with regular Bathe and topping with Overcoat.

Hopefully someone with more experience with CQ UK 3.0 and it`s best complimentary products will chime in as I can`t speak from actual experience with most of the products you intend to use. Also, sometimes things don`t work so well together and you`ve got 4 `coating-ish` products lined up before you even get to Overcoat or Cosmic, from 3 different mfg`s (4 including the Cosmic and Overcoat) and there`s just no way to tell how those are all gonna interact with each other. You could end up with diminished performance (or, who knows, maybe you`d end up with a `super-coating`). I topped another mfg`s coating with TAC Moonlight once and it gooned up the self-cleaning so bad, hadda polish off the coating and re-coat...a real PIA. Since then, kinda gone with a minimalist approach of coating+topper and life has been better (and cheaper).

Just my experience and, as always, YMMV.
    Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

BP1 practically has a doctorate in coatings so I`d listen to his advice. Just CQUK 3.0 + a topper sounds like a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

I find myself agreeing with Budget again. Skip the Cancoat. More is not better. If you want a top coat with CQ 3.0 go with Gliss for somewhat better water beading.

For maintenance you can’t go wrong picking Overcoat or a PA spray. I believe High Gloss is the least durable of the three PA sprays, but you will be hard pressed to see a difference between any of the toppers. I keep pushing IGL Ecocoat Premier as an option. I’m still marveling at its durability and self cleaning for a maintenance spray. In truth side by side that look closely the same to me. If push came to shove I would give Overcoat a slight advantage, especially on initial installation.

Make yourself up some ECH2O plus an SiO2 spray for removing dust and fingerprints and you are all set.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Coating black mustang with 2 coats cquk 3.0 followed by Gyeon cancoat in March. Buying all stuff now as I want to be ready. I have a gallon of Shinesupply clutch I will be topping with but also want to add to ech20 as drying aid and QD. Every two months lwould like to top with something more substantial. Just spent poop load on polisher, pads, above mention supply’s and lots else and only would like to buy one of the three mentioned in title. Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced
    Seeing as this is your second post welcome to the forum.

I have used CQUK 3.0 and it has been doing well for me at 4 months. I did top some of the areas with Gliss V1 to see how that holds up. It too has been doing well at 4 months in. Gliss won`t give you better water beading as it retains the same 110 degree contact angle. It will add a little slickness as CQUK 3.0 is a little tacky but not as tacky as the previous version. If you want more information non Gliss head on over to the CarPro USA store and check out the product description.

There is no problem topping it with CanCoat it is a similar concept as topping it with Gliss. But both are optional and not a necessity.

Seeing as you already have Clutch then you don`t need to pick up overcoat, cosmic spritz or viking spritz. The reason why is due to Clutch being an SiO2 coating maintenance spray sealant. Nothing wrong with continuing to use that.

Ech20 will not add SiO2 protection like Clutch. It is a waterless wash that some like to use a QD/drying aid. It does work well and I would recommend using it at 1:20. It is a waterless wash as it`s primary task and will do more gloss enhancement than leaving a durable form of protection like Clutch. It won`t alter the hydrophobic properties of the base layer coating especially at 1:20.

If you want to keep it simple then stick to CQUK 3.0, use Ech20 as a drying aid/QD and maintain with Clutch every 2-3 months. If you have the desire to top CQUK 3.0 right away (although not really needed) then I would top it with Gliss or CanCoat and then you can continue to use Clutch a few months down the road.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM, BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz knows CarPro...I`d go with what he recommends.

On another note, Ech20 does not contain SiO2?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Seeing as this is your second post welcome to the forum.

I have used CQUK 3.0 and it has been doing well for me at 4 months. I did top some of the areas with Gliss V1 to see how that holds up. It too has been doing well at 4 months in. Gliss won`t give you better water beading as it retains the same 110 degree contact angle. It will add a little slickness as CQUK 3.0 is a little tacky but not as tacky as the previous version. If you want more information non Gliss head on over to the CarPro USA store and check out the product description.

There is no problem topping it with CanCoat it is a similar concept as topping it with Gliss. But both are optional and not a necessity.

Seeing as you already have Clutch then you don`t need to pick up overcoat, cosmic spritz or viking spritz. The reason why is due to Clutch being an SiO2 coating maintenance spray sealant. Nothing wrong with continuing to use that.

Ech20 will not add SiO2 protection like Clutch. It is a waterless wash that some like to use a QD/drying aid. It does work well and I would recommend using it at 1:20. It is a waterless wash as it`s primary task and will do more gloss enhancement than leaving a durable form of protection like Clutch. It won`t alter the hydrophobic properties of the base layer coating especially at 1:20.

If you want to keep it simple then stick to CQUK 3.0, use Ech20 as a drying aid/QD and maintain with Clutch every 2-3 months. If you have the desire to top CQUK 3.0 right away (although not really needed) then I would top it with Gliss or CanCoat and then you can continue to use Clutch a few months down the road.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    The Guz knows CarPro...I`d go with what he recommends.

It contains SiO2 but not enough to protect, just like a WW/QD equivalent amount for gloss enhancement
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sound advice.... looking at threads you have “some”experience. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    It does but as mentioned not enough to protect or hinder the base layer properties. I use it at 1:20 with most of the coatings I’ve used.

Shine Supply Throttle is also nice and is designed for coatings. This one does not have SiO2.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a plan. Skip the cancoat for now. The idea was to just use the clutch as it has more silica (10% to 5%) than reload or cure to maintain monthly. Problem is I keep reading these forums and everyone loved cancoat so added to the list. Then started reading about Overcoat (100% BUdgetplan1’s influence). Then a lot of you talking PA cosmic. Ordered everything Black Friday and cyber Monday just waiting for sale from PA. I’ll try just the SS CLUTCH to see how performs. Thanks guz and the rest of you.
    Likes The Guz, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So went with Cosmic over Viking just based of off more of you have used. Chose it over overcoat as a got 500 ml vs 250ml for 12$ more. For those that have used, how do you use? Spray on panel or MF? I’m either application how. Many spritzes do you use per panel?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    So went with Cosmic over Viking just based of off more of you have used. Chose it over overcoat as a got 500 ml vs 250ml for 12$ more. For those that have used, how do you use? Spray on panel or MF? I’m either application how. Many spritzes do you use per panel?

Thanks in advance

Cosmic is very forgiving; spritz or two in microfiber towel per panel, rub into surface, buff to shine. Follow up with a longer nap towel for final buff. Might get away with one spritz towards end of car as application towel gets saturated.

Much like a quick detailer application.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do like Budget says and you can’t go wrong. I am still marveling at the self cleaning effect of Overcoat. Just wish it was a little less expensive. This is one product where you get what you pay for though.
    Likes Coatings=crack, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Do like Budget says and you can’t go wrong. I am still marveling at the self cleaning effect of Overcoat. Just wish it was a little less expensive. This is one product where you get what you pay for though.
    Anyone know shelf life of overcoat?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using same bottle for 1.5 years. I even transferred it to a different clear PET Plastic bottle at 6 months so I could see how many ounces I have left. Works as advertised after 18 months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information