Post Thanks / Like

Help me help someone else

I’ve been away all this week for work, when I returned home, my phone rang from an unknown number. I don’t know why but I answered it and it turned out to be a guy looking for detail advice. He got my number from a buddy of mine whose son is in the military and the two are co-workers. He called to ask about a “burn” in his paint after going through a touchless wash, I explained to him that I would have to take a look at it. He was able to bring it over tonight, not ideal because I wanted to check it out in the sun, but I took my flashlight out and gave it a once over. (Sorry no pics, it was dark and raining) It’s a small spot on the C pillar by the trunk. It’s kinda hard to explain, it looks like dirt somehow got under the clear coat. It’s very light in color, almost grayish and about the size of a half dollar. BTW this kid has a white 2017 Camaro SS.

In the process of looking it over, he tells me that the dealer installed a “coating” on EVERYTHING, the exterior the interior and the rims. I asked if he knew that name of the coating. He whipped out his phone and sent a text. Turns out, his good friend works at the dealership. The name he came back with was Ziridium. I’ve never heard of this stuff so I looked it up really quick. The kid was on a time crunch and had to leave, I told him I’d do some research and get back to him on the best way to proceed. I think the dealer should cover this under the warranty, but at the same time I shy away from telling anyone to get their paint “fixed” at a dealership. Not to mention the dealership he bought it from is in the mid west and we`re in NC. On his way out, he set up an appointment for a basic wash until I can find out more about this product.

I did some research, not much because there’s not much out there about it on the interwebs. I did find out that there is a parent company named Eckbond. Again, not much info out there. I also found it interesting that the Ziridium claimed to protect against minor dents. Wow, a coating or sealant (I seen that word in there) can protect a car from getting dents!?!?

Anyway, has anyone heard of or used either of these products?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me help someone else

I thought people had caught on to the "dealer applied" coating game. I wish I could help. Just try to explain to the guy that dealer applied coatings are a racket to make money for the dealer and tell him to chalk it up to experience. I wish there was a coating that protected paint from dents. Wow, tough stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me help someone else

Thanks, I figured but thought I`d throw it out there just in case.

Thread Information