Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY oil change? Or do you bring it to a shop?

I`m a total DIY`er. I do all the maintenance on my vehicles because I don`t like the stealership work quality. I purchased one of these and can`t wait for it to get here. I have some parts ready to install on my `15 STi.

-Aaron
    2015 Subaru WRX STi Launch Edition

Post Thanks / Like

I do it myself. I don`t need an oil wrench as I can get the filter off by hand.

I want to get a valve to put as my drain plug so it becomes even more easier to do.

I`m trying to search for it now. This is it [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106N-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003T7XUE4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1411483103&sr=8-6&keywords=oil+drain+plug]Amazon.com: Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post

I want to get a valve to put as my drain plug so it becomes even more easier to do.

I`m trying to search for it now. This is it Amazon.com: Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive
    We use the big truck version for our rubbish trucks mechanic loves them I have not used personally. Seems helpful but I can use wrench not big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do all the maintenance of my Lexus IS300 (really easy cars to work on) as I enjoyed the work and generally used higher quality stuff than a lot of shops in my area. Also saved quite a bit if money. There`s also a satisfaction to doing the job yourself. I now drive an electric car that has nothing I can maintain on it, hence one of the big reasons I`ve got the detailing bug now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla Tacket View Post
    I used to do all the maintenance of my Lexus IS300 (really easy cars to work on) as I enjoyed the work and generally used higher quality stuff than a lot of shops in my area. Also saved quite a bit if money. There`s also a satisfaction to doing the job yourself. I now drive an electric car that has nothing I can maintain on it, hence one of the big reasons I`ve got the detailing bug now.
    So do you change your own batteries? (guess that would be similar)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post

I`m trying to search for it now. This is it Amazon.com: Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive
    Wow, those things have been around for 30+ years at least ...

I have read that if it extends up higher in your oil pan, then the oil will drain out to the top of the valve, and you could have a quantity of oil still in the pan that is dirty - perhaps the dirtiest with the heaviest particles in it - and its not going to come out..

What some people do is then remove the valve and get the rest of the oil to come out... What a pain.. What if the removing the valve on and off wears the soft brass threads to the point that it wants to leak..

If it extends down lower than the original drain plug, then what if you hit it on a speed bump or something? Will it break off ?

Perhaps on a raised vehicle that does not off road, it might be less risky ?

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart = Castrol european 0W-40
    52$ an 10Q later + 5$ disposal fee = win.

No grease monkeys ruining my car!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have the tools to change oil myself,
    So i take it to my frd who is a mechanic...
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

The shops don`t allow proper drain time, and they tend to overfill the oil and over-tighten the filter. The dealer does a good job but charges $200. Yep, DIY.

Post Thanks / Like

it`s too complicated with my truck (I think they make it that way on purpose) so I bring it to a 5 minute oil change place. Quick and easy.

Post Thanks / Like

A Mityvac sucks the oil out of the pan, no need to ever touch the bolt, get under the car, worry about stripping the bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    The shops don`t allow proper drain time, and they tend to overfill the oil and over-tighten the filter. The dealer does a good job but charges $200. Yep, DIY.
    The dealers around here have learned to use it as a loss leader so they can get the car in the shop. They can usually find something else they think you should fix.

The places I do not trust least is the quick lube places. I think they are more prone to mistakes (off brand filters) and you see reports some do not do what they charge however I know there are good ones.

It is like many things if you find a place you trust and does good work you should expect to possibly pay a little more. Things can go wrong and the better shops will step up such as when they fixed the rear end of my Dakota 2 times because there were issues. The first was the pinion failed quickly and the second time was they did not use a new crush washer fixing the pinion.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

As I now sit at the Nissan dealer getting my Pathfinder PA state inspection & emissions tested, I`m reading this thread and have that "bad" feeling in the pit of my stomach...

I don`t let anyone touch any of my cars for anything, period - unless I have to. Obviously I can`t legally do PA state inspection at home...And I don`t have like 10 grand to spend on a tire mounting and a balancing machine. So, for this stuff I have to trust someone.

But, anything I can do at home - is done by me. Maybe I`m leery because I used to work as a flat rate tech at a new car dealership for years, but the dudes` working on your car are just trying to "make eight" (8 hours under the flat rate pay system)...

They are in a hurry and compromises will be made. If there is a faster way to do something - they will do it. This is why oil levels are consistently WRONG when you get your oil changed. For the most part, after the oil is refilled, the tech won`t even check the fill level because he knows he just dumped 5 quarts (or whatever amount) in there and that is about what he engine holds. Checking the oil takes time - and they could be on to the next job.

Jiffy Lube and similar?

Are you serious ???

Post Thanks / Like

I take mine to a trusted shop and I bring my own oil and oil filter (Royal Purple or Amsoil). I also know EXACTLY how much my car takes so I know they get it right. My thought is, I know and trust them and they can do it in half the time I could do it in.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

I would do it myself, but I get free oil changes for the life of my car at the dealership I bought it from and it`s leased, so I just go there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information