Post Thanks / Like

Alcantara for steering wheel and seats

I have a 96 chevy 1500 and the seats and steering wheel need redone. I found someone locql who could do them in leather, but I would rather not have the leather wheel and definitely don`t want leather seats. Is alcantra a viable option?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alcantara for steering wheel and seats

I have an `09 Grand Cherokee that has Leather seats with Alcantara inserts, and a Leather covered steering wheel..

The alcantara inserts are nice, stay clean, dont get blazing hot like leather would in hot weather, or cold like leather in winter..

I have seen Alcantara steering wheel covers in BMW`s of early-mid 2000`s vintage..
    They looked nice but wore out way fast compared to Leather which would probably never wear out before you either sold the car or something, dozens of years later..

I prefer nice, soft, grippy Leather on steering wheels, and you can keep it that way if you know how to Detail it along with the rest of the Interior..

If you live where its really hot in summer, you might want to get a really good windshield sun blocker and use it every time the truck is outside in the sun.. It will keep the wheel cooler and help prevent the dash from cracking, etc..

Good luck with this project ! Bet its going to look nice and feel great !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The wheel had been damaged by the sun and basic neglect. I`ve had it since I was 16 so for nine years, but the leather was cracked and failing before I got it. For years, I would clean it and nourish it once a month and it would stay soft and look nice, however lately, any time it rains or is even humid, it gets really sticky and some very small pieces will even come off on my hands once in a while. Thank you for telling me about the bmw issues, because longevity is something important to me. I plan on keeping the truck for good so I want something that will hold up.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome !! We are all glad to help !

Your upholstery guy can probably also sew up a nice, thick, tight, leather steering wheel cover for you, or you can perhaps find one at an Auto Parts store, and sew it up yourself, sitting there in front of it on the seat..

Ive done many this way for friends, neighbors, etc., and I think that a brand called Classic used to make really nice sew on yourself steering wheel covers..

Its not hard, but takes some time, because there are a lot of holes to pull the thread or lacing into, and out of, over and over...

I am sure there are probably a lot of You Tube videos on the subject as well..

Get the diameter of the wheel and that will help you if you decide to find a wheel cover and sew it up yourself..

Good luck !
    Dan F

Thread Information