Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car battery

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car battery

I`m using a kirkland deep cycle battery from Costco. They give you $10 back for your old battery. I have had this battery for 4 years now and it`s doing just fine. It`s actually lasted longer than the red top I had in it before. The longest lasting battery I had was a yellow top. I think I had it for 7 years.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Thats Ok if it dies in 3 years I get a new one,no charge.
    Not exactly. They will pro rate the battery and give credit towards a new one based on the time left on the warranty. Generally speaking the charge is around $60

I do remember some transmisssion problem at about 150 thousand miles but engine still going at 300 thousand. Great car !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Not exactly. They will pro rate the battery and give credit towards a new one based on the time left on the warranty. Generally speaking the charge is around $60

No! He told me its a free exchange up to 3 years .After 3 years then its pro-rated.
    *that was a standard trans and 97 Honda

Post Thanks / Like

No! He told me its a free exchange up to 3 years .After 3 years then its pro-rated.
    *that was a standard trans and 97 Honda
    Your good looks got you that deal. They would never offer me that with my hideous looks

I wish mine was a manual trans. Auitomatics are a bore

Post Thanks / Like

Their warranty is the same even for ugly trolls, Trouble. 3 year free replacement on the Gold line, 2 years on the Silver. One nice thing is that they record your purchase on computer so no need to save the receipt and better yet they`re not checking the manufacturers date code when you come in for warranty. Some batteries sit on the shelf for several months and come warranty time if you didn`t save your receipt resellers would warranty off of the build date code. This now works in your favor.

I have a truck that just isn`t driven much. In fact it got about 1500 miles put on it in the last two years. That`s been pretty typical of its past 6 years of life. I put a Gold in it and it never really went through it`s initial seasoning period. Batteries need to be cycled during the first 3 months of use. It just sat, that`s my fault. After two years it wouldn`t hold a charge during the cold months. They gave me a new one just like that.

I have 3 Golds and a Sliver in 4 different vehicles at the present time. Utah`s weather changes dramatically, sub zero winters to 105 degrees in the summer. That`s a tough world for batteries. They of course go bad when it`s hot and then let you know their gone when the cold sets in. I haven`t had any problem getting at least 6 years out of these Johnson Controls produced batteries. By the time 6 years roll around it`s time to put a new one in just so they don`t let me down. I have an 2005 Town Car that is an exception to this rule. I replaced the 8-9 year old OEM battery just this past winter. It hadn`t given me any problems but I felt like it was well past the time that it could.

One last point DC, I saw you mention that you meticulously maintain your batteries using distilled water, that`s a very good practice for batteries of yesteryear. The AutoZone battery you just purchased needs no maintenance assuming your charging system is operating properly. No need to add water. About the only way it would get low on water is if your regulator were allowing the battery to be over charged and boil. If your cables are clean and haven`t experienced corrosion these batteries are great at keeping them clean as well.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Your good looks got you that deal. They would never offer me that with my hideous looks

I wish mine was a manual trans. Auitomatics are a bore
    Wasnt my look Trouble LOL unless he felt sorry for someone who reminded him of his Mom or Granny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Their warranty is the same even for ugly trolls, Trouble. 3 year free replacement on the Gold line, 2 years on the Silver. One nice thing is that they record your purchase on computer so no need to save the receipt and better yet they`re not checking the manufacturers date code when you come in for warranty. Some batteries sit on the shelf for several months and come warranty time if you didn`t save your receipt resellers would warranty off of the build date code. This now works in your favor.What Gearhead says is true!

I have a truck that just isn`t driven much. In fact it got about 1500 miles put on it in the last two years. That`s been pretty typical of its past 6 years of life. I put a Gold in it and it never really went through it`s initial seasoning period. Batteries need to be cycled during the first 3 months of use. It just sat, that`s my fault. After two years it wouldn`t hold a charge during the cold months. They gave me a new one just like that. That is awesome!

I have 3 Golds and a Sliver in 4 different vehicles at the present time. Utah`s weather changes dramatically, sub zero winters to 105 degrees in the summer. That`s a tough world for batteries. They of course go bad when it`s hot and then let you know their gone when the cold sets in. I haven`t had any problem getting at least 6 years out of these Johnson Controls produced batteries. By the time 6 years roll around it`s time to put a new one in just so they don`t let me down. I have an 2005 Town Car that is an exception to this rule. I replaced the 8-9 year old OEM battery just this past winter. It hadn`t given me any problems but I felt like it was well past the time that it could.
    6 years is awesome in those conditions!
    One last point DC, I saw you mention that you meticulously maintain your batteries using distilled water, that`s a very good practice for batteries of yesteryear. The AutoZone battery you just purchased needs no maintenance assuming your charging system is operating properly. No need to add water. About the only way it would get low on water is if your regulator were allowing the battery to be over charged and boil. If your cables are clean and haven`t experienced corrosion these batteries are great at keeping them clean as well.
    Good to know! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I won`t run anything but a Delco battery. 6-7 years is the norm rather than the exception and though I have no idea why, they don`t corrode the battery trays in older cars like most other brands (Optima excluded). I`ve had 4 batteries in my El Camino in 21 years and only one was bought new. The others were swapped out of other cars of mine when I was trading in.

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information