Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

syn. oil made easy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM8TI0GBWSM

I am a user of synthetic motor oil. A short video explaining the benifits.

Had the xterra serviced yesterday. Syn. oil change/tire rotation.

Odd that nissan mentions a brake fluid change at 15k miles! I am currently at 22k. Had a test done of the brake fluid via test strip yesterday. Its fine. Like new.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: syn. oil made easy.....

The most important statement made in this video was " Change your oil regularly". Dirt in an engine is the #1 killer not oil failure or oil breakdown. I think to many people get the idea that they can run a Synthetic and not have to change their oil but every 10-15 thousand miles. Sure the oil will hold up that long, but it will be extremely dirty. A synthetic gets just as dirty as a conventional oil. A person is better off using a conventional oil and changing it every 4000 miles than buying a Synthetic and changing it every 12K. The cleanliness of the oil far outweighs the oil type.

I am not knocking Synthetic oil. It just bothers me about how the oil companies promote the longevity leading others to believe that they can get away with reduced oil changes. It will outperform conventional oil in many ways but it still needs to be changed often to remove damaging particles that the filter does not catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the auto manufacturers recommend the synthetic oil. But then the dealers say different. I have experienced this twice now. I had a Jaguar S-Type and the manual said synthetic oil every 12 months or 10,000 miles. Now I have a Fiat 500 and the manual has the same advice. In both cars the dealer said they recommend an oil change every 4k miles and regular oil. So who is right?

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on using full synthetics
    +1 on regular oil changes
    there`s a critical part in Harley engines called a cam chain tensioner, hard plastic shoes that hold pressure on a metal cam chain that keep the engine running smoothly. these can wear out and cause complete engine failure, and often do with 20k miles or less wear on them. my 05 superglide now has over 42k miles and the shoes are still in good shape, which I (and mechanics) credit to using full synthetics and oil changes at 3k miles instead of 5k miles that Harley recommends. florida heat is brutal on air cooled v-twins. a friend`s Harley had a total engine failure because of this at very low mileage and cost him over $6k for a new one. whatever you use, regular maintenance now is a lot cheaper than a major repair later.

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    Some of the auto manufacturers recommend the synthetic oil. But then the dealers say different. I have experienced this twice now. I had a Jaguar S-Type and the manual said synthetic oil every 12 months or 10,000 miles. Now I have a Fiat 500 and the manual has the same advice. In both cars the dealer said they recommend an oil change every 4k miles and regular oil. So who is right?

The manufacturer designed, engineered, and built your car. The dealer is just looking for some post sale revenue. You can probably guess who I think is right.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    Synthetic oil is always going to outlast & outperform regular oil. You should use the oil the manufacturer recommends - not the 55 gallon drum of oil the dealer gets for cheap.

This being said, most oil we are using in America being sold as "synthetic" isn`t actually a synthetic oil. There are a few different oil "base types": 1 through 5. 1 through 3 are "dino" bases, which means they come from fossil fuels. 95% + of the oils being sold as synthetic here (USA) fall into this category. In Europe, this "mislabeling" doesn`t fly.

Unless it was changed in the the past few years (so, yes there is a possibility I could be incorrect / old data), Mobil 1 is a REAL synthetic oil. The "German Castrol" Edge 0w30 (this weight only) is also one. I`m not 100% sure about what I call "internet oil" - Redline & Amsoil, but I believe these are real synthetics as well.

So, guess what oil I use? Mobil 1 ESP in my Pathfinder and BMW Castrol TWS 0w60 M specific oil in my BMW M. You can safely extend drain intervals with these oils IMHO. 15k is crazy IMHO, but your engine will stay quite clean changing at half that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I`m not 100% sure about what I call "internet oil" - Redline & Amsoil, but I believe these are real synthetics ...
    Yep, those are true syn, and in heavy rotation with motorcyclists.
    Other excellent true synthetics include Texas Tea, Motul, Royal Purple.
    --------------

Porsche, at one time, had 20k mile oil change intervals. Yes, 20k. Almost no self-respecting "car guy" followed that advice. They have since changed it to 12k.

----------

While "dirt" is certainly catastrophic in oil, the reasons you change oil are acidic contamination, dilution from fuel and moisture, increased metal content, and additives wearing out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbread View Post
    The manufacturer designed, engineered, and built your car. The dealer is just looking for some post sale revenue. You can probably guess who I think is right.
    This is what I have been thinking as well. What I did with the Jag was synthetic every 6 to 8 months. It just bothered me to go 12 months. Low mileage so getting to 10K took at least 12 months. The Fiat I did the first oil change at 4 months because I had read that was recommended for the first time, then the annual or 10K miles. I`m at about 13K miles now.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    ... I think to many people get the idea that they can run a Synthetic and not have to change their oil but every 10-15 thousand miles....
    You most certainly can get 10k. Type of driving is the factor. Very short trips, where the oil doesn`t reach temperature will cut oil life in half or less. Highway miles = extended drain intervals. 12k interval is fine for highway use. As low as 3k intervals for very short trips.

Post Thanks / Like

There was an article in Car and Driver not long ago about dealers overservicing cars for profit. Them and the oil change places also recommend the severe duty service intervals.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

As an long-time employee of a GM Dealer, I can`t agree with that. GM has been pounding on use to recommend reduced maintenance intervals for years. Their assumptions are based on averages, people driving 12-15 thousand miles per year with a 50/50 or so mix of city and highway driving and their objective is to advertise reduced maintenance costs in conjunction with 100K powertrain warranty. They don`t care if the motor self-destructs at 110K, since it`s now out of warranty. Modern engines can go well beyond 100K, but it will take some care and attention to keep it healthy.
    One of our biggest concerns is the number of cars that show up with near-empty crankcases. So many consumers feel that longer oil change intervals translates to never having to check levels and that can be a recipe for disaster.
    At our dealership, we give every buyer two free oil change the first year. Our only revenue-based objective is getting the customer familiar and comfortable with our service, so they return in the future. We`re more concerned with getting off on the right foot as far as maintenance, for long-term health reasons.
    Here in Pittsburgh, we have temp extremes to deal with, as well as a high concentration of low-speed driving. At home, I care for 5 vehicles of varying brands. Two are strictly short-trip runners, getting about 6K annually, so they get 3k changes. Another gets a little more use, so it`s 4K. Another gets about 15K annually, so it`s 5K changes. My garage queen only sees about 2K annually, so it`s changed every spring. All get synthetic or syn-blends, since the price differential is so small that it just doesn`t make sense to use mineral oil.
    I see engines apart on a workbench all the time from lack of clean fresh oil, so I`ll never subscribe to extended change intervals.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    As an long-time employee of a GM Dealer, I can`t agree with that. GM has been pounding on use to recommend reduced maintenance intervals for years. Their assumptions are based on averages, people driving 12-15 thousand miles per year with a 50/50 or so mix of city and highway driving and their objective is to advertise reduced maintenance costs in conjunction with 100K powertrain warranty. They don`t care if the motor self-destructs at 110K, since it`s now out of warranty. Modern engines can go well beyond 100K, but it will take some care and attention to keep it healthy.
    One of our biggest concerns is the number of cars that show up with near-empty crankcases. So many consumers feel that longer oil change intervals translates to never having to check levels and that can be a recipe for disaster.
    At our dealership, we give every buyer two free oil change the first year. Our only revenue-based objective is getting the customer familiar and comfortable with our service, so they return in the future. We`re more concerned with getting off on the right foot as far as maintenance, for long-term health reasons.
    Here in Pittsburgh, we have temp extremes to deal with, as well as a high concentration of low-speed driving. At home, I care for 5 vehicles of varying brands. Two are strictly short-trip runners, getting about 6K annually, so they get 3k changes. Another gets a little more use, so it`s 4K. Another gets about 15K annually, so it`s 5K changes. My garage queen only sees about 2K annually, so it`s changed every spring. All get synthetic or syn-blends, since the price differential is so small that it just doesn`t make sense to use mineral oil.
    I see engines apart on a workbench all the time from lack of clean fresh oil, so I`ll never subscribe to extended change intervals.

Bill

We agree shorter change intervals are best. I think 5-7.5k miles on a true synthetic is quite safe. But, if the dealer is recommending their dino oil over a synthetic - something ain`t right there.

I worked as a Ford flat rate tech for 7 years - so I know where your coming from. Motorcraft oil? Fugetaboutit ! Our oil change customers got some el cheapò stuff from a 55 gallon drum. I think it was billed out for like 2 bucks for 5 quarts.

Post Thanks / Like

My car calls for the synthetic blend but since it costs as much as full synthetic I use Mobil 1. Also, I believe my car calls for extended oil changes of close to 10k. With the computers and the better algorithms these new vehicles have I go by my oil life monitor and change at either the life monitor or 7500 miles whichever comes first. I am coming up on an oil change according oil life left and it is at about 5k since last change. The changes I have made on this car have been in the 5k range. I don`t see anything wrong with that compared to what GM recommends. When I first started driving I used to be a 2k interval changer, then switched to 3k as my cars got newer. Last one, 2004 GM car, recommended 7500 mile changes on conventional oil but I couldn`t see going that far so I opted for 4k to 5k changes.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    You most certainly can get 10k. Type of driving is the factor. Very short trips, where the oil doesn`t reach temperature will cut oil life in half or less. Highway miles = extended drain intervals. 12k interval is fine for highway use. As low as 3k intervals for very short trips.
    I don`t disagree with the fact that the oil can go for 12k and not break down. The problem is how dirty is that oil after running that extended mileage. No matter how good of an oil and air filter that you run, there will always be a small amount of dust that is going to make it into the oil along with a small dilution of unburned fuel that slips by the rings. Everyone has their opinions but it just gives me peace of mind that I keep relatively fresh clean oil lubricating the engine. It might be overkill, but I am definitely an advocate of the 3-4k oil change regardless of the oil type.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I am another advocate with bswombaugh here..

Again, it doesnt matter how long the oil will last as how much dirt and crap is floating around because the oil filter is totally full of it...

Yes, you can run your synthetics/etc., oils till the cows come in, but you are wearing out your engine parts way, way, faster than they would be worn with clean oil...

It`s as simple as that...

Example - BMW for years, used to bring in all their vehicles for a complete oil change of the engine, transmission, and differential, at 1,200 miles !

Why ? Because the oil was full of things that needed to be removed in order to insure longevity of the engine, transmission, and rear end parts..

Then, they changed this requirement to the M cars only... Because it was costing them so much money...

Then, because the bean counters got involved, they started offering free oil changes for X number of years, but the oil changes were spaced out way too far (in my opinion), in order to get people to think that owning a Bimmer is a not so expensive experience...

So, in the end, when ever I will buy another BMW ( and I will), I will be looking closely at the oil change, transmission and differential oil change, brake fluid change, etc., and if its on those way too long intervals, Im walking away...

There is just too much wear internally for my needs...

Others who regularly lease/trade/etc., vehicles are not bothered by the long intervals they run their cars into, because, well, they are getting rid of it anyway.. Tsk tsk tsk...

I would rather buy dozens of Jeep Dealership oil changes at $30 at 2-3k miles, than run anyone`s synthetic oil for more miles ever...

My 2009 Grand Cherokee with the 5/7L Hemi has had 13 oil changes and its just turning 24k miles... Yeah, to me the $390 spent on a new oil, filter, tire rotation, inspection, is way worth it.. Your experience/opinion/mileage may differ !

Dan F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information