Post Thanks / Like

I`m Amazed By How Many

Cars these days have real bad clear coat failure.

I`ve been looking for a car for my son, something to get to school and work with.

I check Craigslist two or three times a day, and the amount of cars that I see that look like good buys have CC failure.

I have 17 year old Camry that looks as good as any of the newer cars, I get complements all the time on it.

I wonder if it`s a cause of no paint maintenance or a factor issue?

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`m Amazed By How Many

I think a lot is related to car makers playing with paint formulas. Chrysler had a lot of problems with clear coat failure for quite some time. The problem is obviously the accelerated aging tests are not catching differences in paint formulations, thickness application, etc.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

nice looking camry!

gotta respect someone who can keep a 17 year old car looking good

maybe it has something to do with everyone using the auto washes and their concentrates being off here and there-at least thats what im going with

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed the same thing. Especially with Nissan. Every Altima I see on the `02-`06 models ALL have CC failure as well as many other Nissan`s possibly within the same years and a lot of Toyota Corolla`s `02-`08. My Nissan Murano seems to be good though other than the rear spoiler which is starting to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I think a lot is related to car makers playing with paint formulas. Chrysler had a lot of problems with clear coat failure for quite some time. The problem is obviously the accelerated aging tests are not catching differences in paint formulations, thickness application, etc.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    nice looking camry!

gotta respect someone who can keep a 17 year old car looking good

maybe it has something to do with everyone using the auto washes and their concentrates being off here and there-at least thats what im going with
    I think CC is a false since of security people think that the CC is the protection and there is no need for anything else..I also think that as long as it looks shiny to the untrained eye they don`t have to do anything.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

If you think about it, I`m sure it`s pretty tough coming up with something universal for the whole world per say. Think about how many different climates there are, then the human chemical aspect (pollution, acid rain) and finally the amount of psychical damage inflicted by x amount of cars a day (Ie rock chips, road tar an other debris from other cars).

I think manufacture`s do need to put more CC on though. Then again some are good about it an some aren`t. I know Volvo does a damn good job.

If I were you I`d get your son a volvo. They are solid, good on gas, not bad on insurance, surprisingly cheap and most of all SAFE. I`ve had 3 volvo`s and have saved my life twice. + they have alot of CC to work with

Post Thanks / Like

Clear coats dont last much longer then 10 years here in San Diego or even less if not garaged.

Hondas are the worst!Lucky to get 7 or 8 years on some of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Clear coats dont last much longer then 10 years here in San Diego or even less if not garaged.

Hondas are the worst!Lucky to get 7 or 8 years on some of them.
    I recently saw a Civic that couldn`t have been more than 6 years old (if that) and the clear coat failure on it was abysmal.

Post Thanks / Like

/\ Some of those have factory defects, honda admitted to it. One of my friends has an 07 Si an honda is giving him a whole new paint job due to the defect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honda`s are notorious for CC failure. It`s always on one of three spots: hood, roof, or spoiler. I have also noticed on some Honda`s that the paint will be super faded on the spoilers. I have also noticed the fading on some late `90 model Toyota Camry bumpers as well. I think part of it is the type of people that tend to own these cars. Usually they buy them for one single purpose and that is to get them from point A to point B as reliable and affordable as possible.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I agree

I think CC is a false since of security people think that the CC is the protection and there is no need for anything else..I also think that as long as it looks shiny to the untrained eye they don`t have to do anything.
    EXCELLENT POINT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    Honda`s are notorious for CC failure. It`s always on one of three spots: hood, roof, or spoiler. I have also noticed on some Honda`s that the paint will be super faded on the spoilers. I have also noticed the fading on some late `90 model Toyota Camry bumpers as well. I think part of it is the type of people that tend to own these cars. Usually they buy them for one single purpose and that is to get them from point A to point B as reliable and affordable as possible.
    Mine Camry is a 96 and there is no visible signs of CC failure.

I sincerely think it`s all in the maintenance of the paint.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Yes because even mechanical wash places often do not cause a dramatically visible difference in the show. In fact, they will look great if you do not look at them off angle.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information