Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nizmo Buys Another Beater!

Hey, wasn`t sure how much you guys would like a plethora of pictures. I guess metal/body work can be considered "detailing" in its own little way. Some think I`m a little crazy "restoring" this thing, but hey it`s something to tinker with and I get to keep something on the road for 2-3 more years. The drivers side is WAY worse and will require some ingenuity to make it go back together and look right.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes PoisonTheWell, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely keep showing the progress.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m invested!

Post Thanks / Like

Following too. Looks like a lot of work to get that rust fixed. I once did a bit of patch work on an old CJ7 I had. The thing about rust is it hides well. You always find more. In my case I should have just gotten a new tub!

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- heh heh, gee...I skip logging on for a few days and *look what you`re up to now*! By all means keep us updated

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo:
    I am following this thread because I find it "interesting" that you are using this vehicle kind of like a classroom laboratory experiment to enhance and develop your metal working and auto-body painting skills. Like I said in a previous post in this thread, I am amazed at your mechanical prowess and quite honestly, am envious of many Autopians in this regard simply because I do not possess this natural ability to do so.
    I doubt you will be get your time and money invested in this vehicle back from its resale value, but I am sure that you are gaining a metal-working and painting education/experience and maybe some more tools, like the MIG welder you will be (or have) buying, to work with in the future.
    It is funny because I kinda do the same thing in auto detailing as a hobbyist. The little money I do make detailing I tend to buy detailing products or equipment to replenish that which I used up or has worn out, so I never really "make money" at detailing. It just kind of financially self-supports itself. And not really because, as any truly OCD detailer knows, there is ALWAYS that new buffer or piece of equipment to buy or some new detailing car-care product you REALLY want to try or upgrade to. As many Autopians know and have said, the detailing hobby is a financial "rabbit hole" that you can easily fall into, and that adage is true of almost any hobby of interest that is seriously pursued.

Back to the Eagle Talon! Keep us informed what you do to it and when you sell it. I know it is a limited market/buyer that this Eagle will appeal to, BUT then again, you just may fall upon that right buyer who, like you said, had one in their younger day and want to relive that time period again with such vehicle and buys it with the heart and not from the head (not to imply the this Eagle is a "bad" vehicle to buy, but the pragmatist in me does not see this vehicle as a sound investment to make money on OR as a practical daily driver. Then again, if the price is right........). You also have pictorial documentation of what has been done to this particular Eagle Talon by you, so the next owner knows that certain problems have been addressed which can only help sell the vehicle.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Nizmo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, at this point I doubt I`ll sell it now. I do believe there`s a curse with this car that it can only be sold inbetween friends/family, lol.

My father is a bodyman/painter and while he isn`t in my life right now (for various reasons) I picked up how to do stuff over the years. Also being an industrial maintenance technician, welding and fabrication is part to my job.

This winters repairs and upgrades are gonna probably total $1200-$1500 including paint/supplies for when it gets warmer. Lets not forget additional tools! My recent welder acquisition was $800 all in; the initial gas bottle buying set me back $334 alone. However, I can use this for all kinds of stuff! I`ve been wanting one for a long time now, so I got a legit excuse to buy one.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo:
    That is quite the Eastwood MIG welder you have purchased. Aren`t they the automotive restoration tool and equipment supply company? I am sure you it will serve you well on this "cursed" project beater and other vehicles or projects in the future

Sorry about your father-son relationship. You know more of this situation and as you say, "for various reasons", and I will leave it go at that.

Your industrial maintenance work fabrication and welding experience extends to this project as well. Now I know where some of this ability comes from.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Ran into a little bit of unexpected rust. Started cutting some of the curve and something looked off. Grabbed my screwdriver and started going through more of the rot. Went alot further than I expected. It almost got into the torque box (where the trailing arm connects). Luckily it didn`t or it woulda been scrap yard time.

For the good side, it was sure deceiving. Poked around the other side and it seems to be the same story. Oh well, just gotta get a little more creative.

I will say, my forced air heater has been keeping it warm. Was running on the same tank of Kero since last year, but I noticed today the tank was about empty. Kerosene has been running about $5 a gallon in my parts I switched to Diesel. No difference really.

In case you`re wondering, yes I crack a door for ventilation...

Likes Coatings=crack, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some more progress today.

Got the inner patched and primed with high zinc weld-through primer. Doesn`t look pretty and has different weld styles per patch, but was a great experimentation. It`s ugly, but strong.

Next was cutting more of the wheel area out. I cut a little bit much out, but it`s just metal...

So I started on one of the more difficult task, making the arch bend for the wheel-well. Started off with the inner as it doesn`t have to look pretty...

Now that I have a "routine" going, once I get all the other patches done that outer curve piece should be "easy."

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo:
    Looks like you need about $40,000 worth of metal forming/bending/rolling/hammering equipment, not to mention a laser cutting machine for cutting out your sheet metal shapes. Then you have to build a newer, larger shop building to house this all in. (One thing leads to another. So said the Redneck who bought a new TV and an antenna to watch over-the-air TV shows and sports broadcast, then realized he now needs a roof to mount the antenna on!)
    Granted, tin snips, a metal-forming hammer, an anvil, tool steel auto body shaping bucks and maybe some homemade wooden bucks might suffice when combined with your metal-working skills to "work" as well.
    What you are doing reminds me so much of what I see on Motor Trend TV programs like "Phantom Works" or "Texas Metal" when working on restorations or modifications to older vehicles. It`s amazing when vehicle owners THINK that their vehicle has "good" sheet metal or under-carriage frames,but when the old paint, rust-proofing, and accumulated crud is power washed, sandblasted and/or ground away it then reveals the true condition of said metal works. At least you`re fixing/repairing it for the next owner and yes, it does not have to be `concourse correct". It also reveals that vehicles in Pennsylvania suffer from metal rot when driven year-round there due to the de-icing road salt. If you could only see some of the vehicles ,especially trucks, driven here in Wisconsin year-round, they are not pretty and some of them look down-right unsafe to be driven. And, yes, there are no state Department of Motor Vehicle vehicle safety inspections requirements in Wisconsin, so a lot of "crappy"(the Autopian software-accepted polite term) vehicles are licensed and "legal" to drive.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Ironically I`m pretty sure the bulk of the rot was from sitting a couple years when the original transmission decided it didn`t want to live anymore. There`s gravel under there, but it didn`t help... This car afterwards will no longer see winter or rain.

Far as templates, well, we`re just gonna go with the old posterboard method in hot pink color

Probably should have been one piece, but I was having to tack it on in a corner and beat it into shape. Once all the welds are ground flush and seam sealer added it`ll actually look pretty factory.

That`s all for this week, my 3 day weekend is at an end. But next Sun, Mon, and Tues should show some more progress...
    Likes John U, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t wait to see the finished weld!

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Woo-hoo am I impressed with your skills!

Heh heh, you might oughta rethink whether "unexpected" and "rust" really go together on this particular project Glad it hadn`t spread past the point of repair!

Post Thanks / Like

So not a whole lot done on the car recently. I did get the outer corner done last weekend.

However, this project might hit the back-burner. I think an offer has been accepted on a house I`ve been looking at, so any funds going to "unnecessary" things has come to a grinding halt temporarily. Especially since I`ll need to close in the carport right after closing if it all goes through. I`ll close up the outside metal on this section, but after that it`ll be transported to the new place and probably have to sit for a while. I kinda figured this would happen. If this all goes through it`ll be months till I get my garage setup and I can repair the drivers side. Suspension and getting it back on the road will not likely happen in 2022...
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information