Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo Buys Another Beater!

Morning all! I`ve been looking for something to get me to work to take miles off the other newer vehicles. Browsing Marketplace for sub $2K vehicles recently has been a dumpster fire. My coworker`s wife had been thinking about selling her little car. Ironically she`s the mother of a middle/high school friend so I have many memories of this car. I even helped put the engine back in it back in 2006. It`s a little rough, but I like a challenge. Let me introduce you to my 1995 Eagle Talon ESi.

Before I brought it home:

Got it home, just before cleaning up:

After a couple hours with the pressure washer, degreaser, and a quick iron decon!

It`s a little rough around the edges. The rockers are gonna need some work and eventually bring it back to the original white.

The interior is quite dirty and missing the headliner fabric. However it`s not ripped up, just really dirty. That and the goofy shift knob!

Engine bay is another item that needs help. Most of the oil leaks have been solved, but never cleaned. It does have some Fast and Furious stuff done to it, typical of these cars.

This is going to be an ongoing project. I know all of it isn`t going to be detail related, but if you guys want me to post updates I can!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Tc99m, Oneheadlite, JSFM35X, dwaleke, Stokdgs and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nizmo Buys Another Beater!

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post

but if you guys want me to post updates I can!
    Congratulations! Looks like it will keep you entertained for a while. I want to see what you can do with the headlights

Does PA have an annual vehicle inspection? We do and cars of that age can be very difficult to pass without $$$$ infusions. Typically far in excess of the vehicle`s FMV. People just send them to the bone yard or they get exported to the Middle East.
    Cars: bringing people together
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Love those cars, and definitely remember my friends with DSM cars breaking them all the time. Really easy to make fast. I like the white, is it pearlescent?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Congratulations! Looks like it will keep you entertained for a while. I want to see what you can do with the headlights

Does PA have an annual vehicle inspection? We do and cars of that age can be very difficult to pass without $$$$ infusions. Typically far in excess of the vehicle`s FMV. People just send them to the bone yard or they get exported to the Middle East.
    Headlights done!

Yes, PA does have inspections. It`s gonna take a couple dollars to get it to slide by. The drivers side rocker is a little further gone then I thought, tried to jack up the rear and almost went through. Looking through kits right now. I think the issue is the car sat around for a while. No other rust to speak of other than the rockers. The exhaust was already replaced. The front suspension is gonna need a little help. Forward and rear lower control arm bushings are spanked. However they`re less than $15 each on Rock Auto for the whole arm. Just bought front and rear brake pads and rotors. Went all out and got Raybestos coated rotors and the good Element 3 pads. I need good brakes for the mountain. After tax and shipping it was $135 to my door, not bad at all!

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    Love those cars, and definitely remember my friends with DSM cars breaking them all the time. Really easy to make fast. I like the white, is it pearlescent?
    Yup, at one time they painted it pearl white. Unfortunately it`s cracked on the bumpers and starting to crack on the hood. I did a quick 1 pass in a spot with Griot`s Compound and a microfiber pad and I want to say it turned out well. It`ll have to do until I figure out if I want to straiten the body and paint it.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just the headlights alone make such a difference. What’d you use for them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    Just the headlights alone make such a difference. What’d you use for them?
    1 pass with Poorboy`s SSR2.5, orange pad, and 1 pass Griot`s Ultimate Compound, microfiber pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I think I used whatever Meguiar’s PlastX the last time I did mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Love some updates! not familiar with the ESi. I know the TSi is all wheel drive turbo. Been eyeing one of those or the Mitsu GST or GSX.

Always wanted one of those as a youngin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cool project and I`m in for updates!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Love some updates! not familiar with the ESi. I know the TSi is all wheel drive turbo. Been eyeing one of those or the Mitsu GST or GSX.

Always wanted one of those as a youngin....
    The ESi is just the plain-jane non turbo Chrysler 420A 2.0L DOHC. Good for a whopping 140HP and 130TQ. Honestly for a daily driver is fine by me. It needs some love, but runs pretty good.

I guess I`ll update as I go along. I know it won`t be all detailing related, but hey it should be mildly entertaining...
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Ah, another swell project! You sure keep me interested! I`ll be watching this one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Ah, another swell project! You sure keep me interested! I`ll be watching this one...
    I figure even though this is a detailing forum, something a little different, but automotive related can be a nice break from something else. Or laugh at my stupidity, something like that, lol.

Got my brake parts delivered yesterday. Was only a couple more dollars to go with a better setup. It`s not fast, but it will stop fast!

Post Thanks / Like

So the Talon`s seen a bit of work recently to get it to where I feel somewhat comfortable to be on the road.

First order of business was to slap on all new brakes, front and rear. Both had ample pad, but under the slightest bit of heat vibrated like crazy so they were super warped. Rust jacking appear to be the main cause.

The drivers rear really put up a fight!

But my Blue Point air hammer, Free-All pentrant, and some swearing that would make a sailor blush it came off. No, the forcing screws didn`t do squat!

Quick shot of the work space, and hilarious fart cannon...

Front and rears installed. I really like the coated rotors I bought. Seems silly to spend that kind of cash on something like this, but for the Raybesto`s Coated rears, Raybesto`s Street Performance fronts, and Raybesto`s E3 Hybrid pads was only $135 shipped to my door!

Rear (yes I love anti-seize, I realize this will be the last set of brakes for this car, but further work will be easier):

Front:

Next order of business was tires. The old ones were dry rotted and on one the belt had broken. Local place ordered and installed a set of Mastercraft SRT Touring. Now, they aren`t the best tires in the world, but this is a beater, no racecar. $385 out the door. Yes, my wheels need some reconditioning. It`s on the list, but further down as mechanicals are more important at this point.

There was this horrendous HID headlight setup that was done many years ago. Took all that out and went back to the regular 9006 bulbs.

Removed the bubbling rear window tint. Unfortunately the defrost lines were already ruined. Did make removal slightly easier...

So it was time to get the car on the road! Drove it to work one day, incident free. Next went to work, all is good. Coming home it really started idling funny and not running as smooth. Yea, so apparently the ol` spark plugs were WAY past due!

Cylinder #4

The rest, lined up 1,2,3,4

Yes, the car is an oil burning at this point and the plugs reflect that. However, the wear was what was shocking! Replaced with a set of NGK Copper`s.

That`s it for now folks! Here`s a somewhat photogenic photo of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, wonder how long those plugs will be OK..fingers crossed it`s a while.

Good on you for getting rid of the [crappy] LEDs!

And, heh heh...in the "easy for me to spend your $" category....might better figure out something for that defroster before the day it really matters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, wonder how long those plugs will be OK..fingers crossed it`s a while.

Good on you for getting rid of the [crappy] LEDs!

And, heh heh...in the "easy for me to spend your $" category....might better figure out something for that defroster before the day it really matters
    While the car has a brand new timing belt, it`s a Autozone Duralast brand and I`m not fond of the brand for something so important to the engine. So, it will likely get a Gate`s timing belt kit along with the new water pump I have. Why am I saying this, well with the timing belt off I can pull the cams and replace all the valve seals. That should stop most of the oil burning so it shouldn`t destroy the plugs as quick. Or, another route I was considering is I found an engine with 73K miles on it for $300. It`s a bout 150 miles from here, but I don`t mind a little trip. Seems silly to do all this, but I need something to tinker with...

As far as the defrost lines, well this car is pretty worthless in bad weather so it likely won`t be driven in the cold. Plus I have the rear wiper, well, once I get it working properly...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information