Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nizmo Buys Another Beater!

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    So not a whole lot done on the car recently. I did get the outer corner done last weekend.

However, this project might hit the back-burner. I think an offer has been accepted on a house I`ve been looking at, so any funds going to "unnecessary" things has come to a grinding halt temporarily. Especially since I`ll need to close in the carport right after closing if it all goes through. I`ll close up the outside metal on this section, but after that it`ll be transported to the new place and probably have to sit for a while. I kinda figured this would happen. If this all goes through it`ll be months till I get my garage setup and I can repair the drivers side. Suspension and getting it back on the road will not likely happen in 2022...
    Glad to hear for you. Congrats on the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes RPPM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is a cool thread- thanks for the updates.
    Neat project. Makes me wish I would have kept one of my old cars, just for something like this...

Im impressed with your metal work abilities.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got the outer piece put on, mainly to close it up before I move it...

Need to pick up some seam sealer at the local autobody supply to clean up the wheel area. Gonna quickly throw on some primer till I get time through this house stuff to get back to it...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes craigdt, PoisonTheWell, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got the wheel area ground down, seam sealed, and applied undercoating similar to what it left with from the factory!

It don`t look too bad in person. Put a couple coats of self-etching primer on the bare metal to protect it for a little bit while I figure out this moving stuff! Yes, you can see where I put the patch panel on the outside, but I didn`t do any fill work right now. There`s just not enough time currently. Luckily it looks like the budget will allow to continue the project once I get the possible new house`s carport closed in!

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Goodness, you sure know how to keep busy!
    Likes Nizmo, Bindytou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Nizmo. Wish i had those kinda of skills

Post Thanks / Like

So, the beater was sold today. I have no time to work on it right now with the new house and could use a little bit of extra cash. Overall I probably lost a grand in the thing...

Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see it go! Not the worst outcome...most lose their shirts when selling!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Sad…. Waa enjoying the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo:
    When one door closes, sometimes a "window of opportunity" opens.
    Sounds like you need another project car suggestion.
    In keeping with you affinity and preference for Toyota`s , how about 2003 -2009 convertible (Camry) Solara??
    (Sure,Captain Obvious! If you will BUY it for me!...Always quick to be spending someone else`s money, aren`t you, C.O.)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Nizmo:
    When one door closes, sometimes a "window of opportunity" opens.
    Sounds like you need another project car suggestion.
    In keeping with you affinity and preference for Toyota`s , how about 2003 -2009 convertible (Camry) Solara??
    (Sure,Captain Obvious! If you will BUY it for me!...Always quick to be spending someone else`s money, aren`t you, C.O.)
    Nahhh, no project cars for a while. The whole "new" house thing is going to take alot of my time and money for a little while atleast. Already several dollars down closing in the carport...

Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo:
    So your new house did (does) NOT have an enclosed garage, but has a carport/overhang that you are enclosing in WITHOUT a vehicle-access garage door?
    Do you need a Building Permit for what you are doing? Looks like a rural area whose local township government does not require one , but just am curious.
    I say that because many well-intentioned home repair/improvement do-it-yourselfer`s start such a building project as yours and then some local town-board member, who just happens to be the local building inspector, drives by, sees the work-in-progress, stops to check your progress AND for the required Building Permit. Depending on the locale, the work may be stopped, or built items not made to local codes/standards ripped out and removed by you, and fines levied or added to your property taxes accordingly. I sat that because it does look like your project will definitely "increase" the value of your home and the local government will assess your home market value accordingly. The Building Permit is NOT so much that what is being added is built to code (it is, however, especially for safety-related items, like electrical or plumbing, and the ensuing inspection by the local government building inspector/assessor). but more for the estimated value it added to a home and hence, its accessed property tax for the next property tax period in your locale.

Two things I noticed in the photos:
    1) NO SNOW in your area of Pennsylvania in February. Looks like spring to me, because even the grass is somewhat starting to green in areas.
    (We had (past tense emphasized) that "spring" look in Green Bay Wisconsin on Sunday when it was 51°F. NOT TODAY!! (Tues., 22Feb22) -5°F Wind Chill Index, Freezing Drizzle last night, and 2 inches of snow to come.)
    2) The larger hill in the background looking out of the vehicle access opening. Must be fun driving in those when it snows
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It will have a 9` wide garage door ordered, however it`s going to be 14 or so weeks before it shows up and gets installed. Far as the permits go, let`s just say that`s why the support poles are still in place. This is mainly a "covering". Many ways around all of that mess. However the tax man will see it inevitably...

It has been brutally cold, but the snow just finally melted from the early January ice/snow storm.

The driveway is flat except for the part you see the cars parked on. It isn`t really that bad of an angle really.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo:
    The "hill" I was referring to looking out the vehicle-access garage door is the one in the FAR distance behind the light pole! It is in reference to the typography of the geographical area of Pennsylvania your reside in, if that make any sense!
    Glad to see you are adding a vehicle-access garage door to your "enclosure". I say vehicle-access garage door to differentiate it from a service access door or emergency exit door associated with garage. Hope the garage door you ordered has insulated panels. Yes, it makes a difference if (more likely, when) you insulate the walls and want to heat your "enclosure" for use as a work area. It`s just more expensive to purchase and adds weight to open on the garage door opener, but it does add value to the home. (Spending someone else`s money again, Captain Obvious?!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Nizmo:
    The "hill" I was referring to looking out the vehicle-access garage door is the one in the FAR distance behind the light pole! It is in reference to the typography of the geographical area of Pennsylvania your reside in, if that make any sense!
    Glad to see you are adding a vehicle-access garage door to your "enclosure". I say vehicle-access garage door to differentiate it from a service access door or emergency exit door associated with garage. Hope the garage door you ordered has insulated panels. Yes, it makes a difference if (more likely, when) you insulate the walls and want to heat your "enclosure" for use as a work area. It`s just more expensive to purchase and adds weight to open on the garage door opener, but it does add value to the home. (Spending someone else`s money again, Captain Obvious?!)
    Oh, heh, now I get it. I used to drive up and over one of those every day. Was interesting to drive over in the snow/ice. Hence why I had to buy a 4wd truck. Also the reason I moved, got tired of driving it day in, day out.

The garage door is a nice insulated unit. 2" thick with windows in the 3rd panel. Running me a little over $1800 installed...
    Likes Lonnie, dgage liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information