Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nizmo Buys Another Beater!

Nizmo- If that replacement engine is OK that might be the best option.

Maybe it wouldn`t be so bad in lousy weather with a different set of tires? Easy for me to spend your $ for ya, huh?
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Started work on trying to clean up the old paint. As far as I know the roof is the original 26 year old single stage black. The rest of the car was painted pearl while at one point in its life.

Roof before:

After:

This was one pass SSR2.5 and one pass of Griot`s Complete Compound. It`s not perfect, but for the age of the car is a whole lot better. The paint is micro-cracked in a lot of areas.

However this is where we have to stop for today. My 10 year old Griot`s 6" DA had a failure. The backing plate completely fell apart. It had stated to bubble at the end of last year and today finally separated. I assume from dry rot.

(pardon the mess on my work bench, alot of projects going on right now...)

So, this is on hold till I get a replacement or parts, whichever I decide...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

5 hours later and it`s polished and sealed. Still a 20 footer, but atleast it`s shiny! Unfortunately revealed alot more dents than I remember, but oh well.

Before:

After:

This was done with a HF Bauer long throw DA (temporary GG6 replacement), Griot`s Complete Compound, microfiber pad, and last step was Collinite 845.
    Likes PoisonTheWell, tom p., Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna close the chapter early on this one.

Cars not for me; too much tinkering to do and last weeks break down was the last straw. It`s more of a weekender or toy and I don`t need that. I need something that`s gas, go, and the occasional oil change.
    Likes PoisonTheWell, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Should sell quickly with looks like that!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Should sell quickly with looks like that!
    I hope so. I need to quickly do the headliner, scrub the carpets again, and do a serious cleaning on the engine bay. Still waiting on Penndot for the title so the signs on the car just for some feelers. I did put in the work to get it through inspection and the sticker is worth its weight in gold in PA.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hope it sells OK. Getting that sticker oughta be a huge plus.

Already wondering what you`ll get next Between you and The Driver (who just got a fixer-up C63 Benz) I`m living vicariously, and thoroughly enjoying it

Post Thanks / Like

So several months later, while I have the title finally, it seems to not have sold yet. Several inquiries and low ball offers, but being a somewhat rare car (despite slightly rusty on the rockers) I know what I got. If I don`t sell it before fall it`s going in the garage for a slight restoration. Suspension refresh, rocker repair, and pull the cylinder head and rebuild. I have tinkered with it here and there, so I`ll share so far.

The wing/spoiler thing was looking sad. Faded, and peeling. Quick wham-bam job and it looks pretty good. If you`re wondering why I didn`t remove it, the seal underneath is un-obtainable now-adays so I wasn`t going through that pain.

Next is a couple randoms when I finally adjusted the parking brake...

And some cleaned up shots I took for the sale ad.

And for fun, since it likes to use oil (valve stem seals are dried up and done) a for fun picture of the leftovers I use in it. Although my leftover oils are pretty darn good if I say so.

I`ve had fun with this car. Been frustrating at times, but has kept me occupied. It`s still for sale, but I`m not losing my butt on it, and I know what these cars are worth. So, hopefully you guys have been entertained along that way!
    Likes Stokdgs, tom p. liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler looks awesome! Hope you continue to enjoy it while waiting for it to sell!

Post Thanks / Like

Had some leftover paint and the wheels needed some attention, so here we are...

Because racecar...

Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo:
    I see that you mentioned that the valve stem seals are "dried up and done" with the pic of the "leftover" Castrol Edge motor oil, but I also thought you pulled the head and rebuilt it. So you did not replace those seals at that time?

Let us know when it sells. I think that the manual transmission is a hindrance more than an asset in this day-and-age of used vehicles. Young people who may be interested in this vehicle just never learned to drive a manual transmission. It`s going to take a" special person" who understands what they are getting. Add to the fact that you have mentioned this is NOT a good car for driving in your locale in the winter snow and hills only compounds the challenge to selling this vehicle.

I just like the original silver paint OEM wheels with the white exterior a little better visually/aesthetically, but the "new" black-painted wheels do go with the roof & newly repainted rear wing color.

On a completely different note, I must commend you on your mechanical repair and body shop and painting skills. Not everyone has those abilities . It has been said that English sports cars (MGBs, Triumphs TR7`s, Lotus`, Jaguar`s) have made more mechanics out of their owners by necessity. Your Mitsubishi-sourced Eagle Talon may be an extension of that adage.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Nizmo:
    I see that you mentioned that the valve stem seals are "dried up and done" with the pic of the "leftover" Castrol Edge motor oil, but I also thought you pulled the head and rebuilt it. So you did not replace those seals at that time?

Let us know when it sells. I think that the manual transmission is a hindrance more than an asset in this day-and-age of used vehicles. Young people who may be interested in this vehicle just never learned to drive a manual transmission. It`s going to take a" special person" who understands what they are getting. Add to the fact that you have mentioned this is NOT a good car for driving in your locale in the winter snow and hills only compounds the challenge to selling this vehicle.

I just like the original silver paint OEM wheels with the white exterior a little better visually/aesthetically, but the "new" black-painted wheels do go with the roof & newly repainted rear wing color.

On a completely different note, I must commend you on your mechanical repair and body shop and painting skills. Not everyone has those abilities . It has been said that English sports cars (MGBs, Triumphs TR7`s, Lotus`, Jaguar`s) have made more mechanics out of their owners by necessity. Your Mitsubishi-sourced Eagle Talon may be an extension of that adage.
    Evening Lonnie,

I haven`t pulled the head yet at the moment. I`ve found if the car sits and I only putter around town it will show visible smoke at idle. Couple weeks ago I pretty much smoked out the folks behind me at the McDonald`s drive thru... I`ve taken the car on some longer, more "spirited" (IE Italian Tune-up) drives and it clears it up for the most part. It`s about due for an oil change so I`ll probably go with a 15w40 syn. I have 6 qts of some Euro 0w40 leftover from the Mercedes and VW I might try. Not costing me anything, so that might be the ticket.

For these cars the manual is the preferred transmission of choice. Most of the inquiries have been folks my age or slightly older that had these in high school. The problem is finding a buyer that is interested in a project. But you`re right, if we went to stick shift and crank windows we`d lose an entire generation.

I know the black wheel isn`t the look for everybody, but the silver was flaking and corroding in some spots on the aluminum. I had some black semi-gloss paint left over, so I figured I`d use what I got. I kind of like it, so I guess in the end that`s all that matters?

Far as the mechanical/autobody skills, alot of it stems from necessity and budget. I could have never afforded or was cost preventative to outsource work on my stuff. That and I don`t trust most to do what I do to my standards. I`m super anal at alot of stuff. Jack of all trades, master of none it seems.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So incase any one around here is wondering what happened to this little car, well, it`s still here and just got pulled in the garage for the winter to do some restoration. Sounds completely absurd, but here we go!

So, strait to doing some rocker work. Took my air grinder and started to see what we have to work with...

Ok, now we`re gonna go all in, no turning back!

So most of the rot is cut out, still have to do some more around the lower wheel-well, but one step at a time. Got it prepped for and made the inner patch.

But now we`re at a standstill temporarily. My old flux core welder is not up to the task. So, I placed an order for a new gas MIG setup. Definitely an unexpected cost. Plans go to fix the rust, replace the suspension, and paint the car. If you guys want to see the progress along the way let me know, if not it might just be an after 6-8 months down the road.
    Likes Stokdgs, tom p., Oneheadlite, mc2hill, RPPM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    So incase any one around here is wondering what happened to this little car, well, it`s still here and just got pulled in the garage for the winter to do some restoration. Sounds completely absurd, but here we go!

So, strait to doing some rocker work. Took my air grinder and started to see what we have to work with...

Ok, now we`re gonna go all in, no turning back!

So most of the rot is cut out, still have to do some more around the lower wheel-well, but one step at a time. Got it prepped for and made the inner patch.

But now we`re at a standstill temporarily. My old flux core welder is not up to the task. So, I placed an order for a new gas MIG setup. Definitely an unexpected cost. Plans go to fix the rust, replace the suspension, and paint the car. If you guys want to see the progress along the way let me know, if not it might just be an after 6-8 months down the road.
    Im in! Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo - Amigo !
    Wow, you have been busy !!!

Well, that work you just did was great !

Hope it continues to go well with no major surprises..

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Dan F

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information