Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Not exactly its forte` but just had to know...so took Cayman to dragstrip. Looked a little diminutive and outta place amongst Camaros, Mustangs and Mopars Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Don`t mind the short nap at the line, was, uh...`working some things out`. Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Video: https://youtu.be/D8i4rpy3SqI

And at least I had doors Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    And at least I had doors Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...
    Someone clearly blew his off.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Oneheadlite, tom p., Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! And don’t worry about feeling out of place. It belongs.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s certainly not slow.
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

Hell that first lin is wrong. That’s not a Reaction .
    Not a bad time at all. All that really matters is whether or not you had fun.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
    Hell that first lin is wrong. That’s not a Reaction .
    Not a bad time at all. All that really matters is whether or not you had fun.
    Always have fun when I escape unscathed. Their Weds night `Grudge Nites` are always fun...you name it, people run it. Saw a Winnebago out there once when I was in high school and running my 1976 Plymouth Arrow to a blistering 20.4@60mph pass Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Was checking around the dashboard to make sure Launch Control was active and then noticed the other guy 50ft out outta the corner of my eye, figrd it was probably time to go Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Probably has another tenth or 2 in it but likely won`t run it again...twisty roads far more fun. Fastest magazine test I`ve seen was 12.6@108mph, seems normal for a 325hp, 2900 pound car.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Someone clearly blew his off.
    I think it was pro charged C5 Corvette that underwent an extreme weight saving program Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car.... Never saw exactly what time it was running but he was movin`

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Nice! And don’t worry about feeling out of place. It belongs.
    Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car... Nothing is truly out of place on Wednesday nights. Loads of youngsters running what I suspect was Mom or Dad`s car, 3 or 4 packed in a 4 door Honda Accord. Not that I ever did anything like that of course Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...

Was a couple of Teslas out there; Model X running 11.01@ 121mph...driver looking like he was just heading out to pick up some milk...no muss, no fuss, no noise.
    https://youtu.be/d411aUrAhcs

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    That`s certainly not slow.
    For a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder, works for me! Now wife wants to take her C7 Corvette out next week; that one might be a bit more of a handful Eh, I can live with sub-13 second car...
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well if ya take the vette hopefully you’ll do better than me.
    My last time i went with some guys from work. I got to run one of my guys in his lil ‘ole 5.0. After the pass we were sitting around bs’ing when a guy came walking around the car. I thought “ smart ma admiring my baby”. Then asked who’s car it was and I of course proudly said mine. He asked me if I ran and I answered in the affirmative. He asked to see my slip. No problem. Then he said “You’re done for the night- car’s not legal”. Handed me back my slip and walked away. He was kinda a jerk the way he said it.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How fun! Was glad to see you used launch control! Respectable time for a `non` drag vehicle!

Very cool!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Well if ya take the vette hopefully you’ll do better than me.
    My last time i went with some guys from work. I got to run one of my guys in his lil ‘ole 5.0. After the pass we were sitting around bs’ing when a guy came walking around the car. I thought “ smart ma admiring my baby”. Then asked who’s car it was and I of course proudly said mine. He asked me if I ran and I answered in the affirmative. He asked to see my slip. No problem. Then he said “You’re done for the night- car’s not legal”. Handed me back my slip and walked away. He was kinda a jerk the way he said it.
    Why was it `not legal`?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it was my ET

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty neat stuff. Slippery slope going fast next thing you know a turbo or supercharger shows up to your door and wife whacks you in back of the head when you try to explain you have no recollection of ordering this part.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    running my 1976 Plymouth Arrow
    Why don`t I even remember that car? I`m looking at pictures and trying to tell myself it looks kind of familiar, but when I first read it I drew a complete blank.

My last time i went with some guys from work.
    Where do you go, is there someplace further south now that Englishtown is closed?

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1:
    For more "behind-the-scenes" personal information that led up to the purchase of this 2016 Porsche Cayman S 4.0, I read your ENTIRE post of it in budgetplan1.wordpress.com (sorry no link due to forum rules).
    First and foremost, your are a prolific writer; extremely detailed and articulate. Your high-school English composition teacher would be proud.
    Second, you are a "car-guy" to the max.
    Third, you are a truly Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer (OCD) Autopian Al-Star in my book.

What led me to all this was trying to find out if your Caymen had a 6-speed manual OR the PDK (PDK is an acronym for Porsche Doppel Kupplungs getriebe (strictly, Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe) Dual-Clutch Automatic transmission. Now that I see you mentioned your "distraction" with the "Launch Control" and its effect on your Reaction Time, I can conclude the Caymen has the PDK transmission.

I understand WHY you wanted to try the Cayman out on the dragstrip. It is a safe environment to do so and no worries about pubic roads and other drivers and "concerns" from traffic law enforcement . AND, now you (and the rest of us) know what the Caymen is capable of doing in a sprint. Yes, there are "faster" cars and even you have had a few Mustangs that fit that category. What many "go-fast" vehicle owners/drivers do NOT understand is the over-all driving experience in a Caymen, which, after reading the fore-mentioned blog, is the reason you now own and drive and immensely enjoy the Caymen.
    I can kind of relate after owning a used `84 Ford Mustang SVO and going through two turbos in it and then trying out a new `86 Toyota MR2. While nowhere near as fast, the sum of the parts and the overall driving experience was SOOOOO much better than the SVO. That was most evident in the 5-speed manual transmission of the MR2 and its snick-snick operation of the cable shifter to the rear transaxle. Not to mention the balance of the high-revving mid-engine 1.6L four-cylinder engine that had the smoothness of a sewing-machine compared to the archaic front-engine Pinto-derived 2.3 L turbo 4-cylinder in the SVO. As the saying goes, "Sometimes it is more fun to drive a slow car fast."
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve always been a huge fan of the Cayman and long for a chance to actually drive one rather than ride in one. So far, I`ve only managed a few laps around a road course in a GT4 on one occasion and much later a lap of an autocross course in another instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

I understand WHY you wanted to try the Cayman out on the dragstrip. It is a safe environment to do so and no worries about pubic roads and other drivers and "concerns" from traffic law enforcement . AND, now you (and the rest of us) know what the Caymen is capable of doing in a sprint. Yes, there are "faster" cars and even you have had a few Mustangs that fit that category. What many "go-fast" vehicle owners/drivers do NOT understand is the over-all driving experience in a Caymen, which, after reading the fore-mentioned blog, is the reason you now own and drive and immensely enjoy the Caymen.
    ....."Sometimes it is more fun to drive a slow car fast."
    There is so much truth here. A well sorted platform will make any car a dream to drive regardless of horsepower. It`s one reason why I miss my E46 BMW so much. It only had 175hp, but the experience behind the wheel was amazing. I`m at a point in my life where sheer acceleration is entertaining, but doesn`t really endear me to a car. What really gets me is a car that has me laughing out loud spontaneously as I toss it around a twisty backroad, on-ramp, or a sweeping left hand turn when I catch the turn arrow at the right time.

You can really see the brilliance of the Cayman at our SCCA Autocross events. In the hands of a good driver a bone-stock car dances around the cones like nothing else. No drama, no waves of body roll in the transitions, to tire howl, and very little noise at all. It just sticks and goes. Using a football analogy the Mustangs, Camaro`s, and M3`s are like Linemen. The Vett`s are more like a line-backer. The Cayman is the wide-receiver. Even the Miata`s and BRZ/FRS/86`s don`t get around the course with the same poise and balance.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Why don`t I even remember that car? I`m looking at pictures and trying to tell myself it looks kind of familiar, but when I first read it I drew a complete blank.

Where do you go, is there someplace further south now that Englishtown is closed?
    This was last fall. Atco Dragway ( used to be Raceway)but it was sold and second new owners did after changing name was jack up the price.
    Now I don’t know what the exact rules be as I’m a motorcycle road racer not really a drag guy. However my last car -a Chrysler 300C would dip to 10.8 and never had an issue. Maybe that is ok. My vette is a little quicker and faster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information