Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

14 Lexus gray lX570

My white 1996 LC80 is sold. I got some pretty good money for it too. You guys hooked me for many years keeping that thing looking new.
    This LX570 has 125k miles on it and has a white carpet with a white interior. Not ready to post pics yet.I`ve only had the truck a week and I just bought an ALL-FIT front rubber skirt and I want to put that on then take a pic.
    I hit the seats with Woolite a couple of times. It needed it badly. The PO wasn`t into keeping a $100k car clean. They spilled coffee all over the console many times I think. The shift was very sticky, the buttons were not working right bla bla bla. Used Q-tips for now, but I`m going to have to take the interior out this summer. I like doing it and can`t wait, but for now I want to clean the paint the seats and the A/C.

The air system needs a cleaning. I replaced the carbon in cab filter already. Can`t find any 1Z Klima Cleaner is there an alternative?

I`m looking at Adam’s Interior detailer for the leather seats. This truck has heaters and coolers in the seats and the leather has the little holes.

Lastly, I want to polish and wax by hand. The rims look great. I won`t clay bar till spring but what will get me through a NY winter?
    I want to get creative. The paint isn`t bad but hasn`t been cared for. I guess I could do an off the shelf 3 step. Plus this truck has alot of chrome in and out.

I`m looking for more advise. Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 14 Lexus gray lX570

PDoyle-Congrats on the new truck, with ~125K is sure has a lot of life left in it!

For a Klima Clean alternative, see if you can find the Wurth version; it works just as well IME.

For coffee stains, look for the specialty products made for that. IIRC, they refer to "tannins", like "Tannin Remover".

Rather than Claying it, I`d use a Chemical Decontamination.

No way *I* would want to Polish/etc. something that big by hand! But as far as "Getting it through the Winter" I`ll be an Autopian Heretic and point out that the PO apparently didn`t bother doing anything and I`d wonder whether a few more months of that will make an appreciable diff. Some of us wouldn`t let it leave the garage until it`s all fixed up to Autopian Standards, others would just run it through a Touchless and wait until Spring...I`d give thought to where *you* fall on that spectrum and do what`s right for *YOU*.

If you do decide to do something now, here`s what *I* would do:

-Chemical Decontamination (it`s basically just a series of washes)
    -AIO + your fave LSP

That will probably get it better than most cars in any parking lot and at least it`ll be better than it is now.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator thanks,and thanks for the reply. I have a 4 car garage with heat, a little extra time, and I have a touch of OCD.I like this truck. It should look good and I`m willing to wash, polish and wax it and can do all of it in a day. No biggie. So, no clay bar huh?

What is AIO and What is LSP? (Can`t find any place in the FAQ`s to figure out the abbreviations.)

Also, what are you guys using to get the cracks out of this Lexus leather. The dealer colored the leather and it lasted about, well, a week.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

PDoyle --
    Congrats on the Lexus 570..
    They are huge !! I paint corrected a Jet Black one awhile back and thought I would never finish it.. It was huge ! It came out a beautiful, rolling, black mirror..

The leather is cracked because the dirt that accumulated on it was never cleaned off, and the abrasion of dirt against it and no conditioning of it causing dryness, and cracked it..
    There are no easy fixes to this.. The only ones I know of take a lot of time and extreme care to not further damage it..
    Basically it is adding fillers to the cracks, and hope they stay in them awhile..

Sounds like the Seller saw how awful it looked and had someone spray a colored product on the leather to cover it up.. Note, I said cover it up, but not fix it it, if it is even possible..
    I will try to find the info I read that goes into detail on how to try to make the cracks better..

I have also used dozens of cans of Klima-Cleaner on an equal amount of German cars, etc., and it is a fabulous product for sure..
    I cannot find it either, looking first - here at Autopia and at AutoGeek..

There is a Supplier in Guilderland, New York that sells it, but is out of stock at this moment. They anticipate having it back by the end of January..
    Perhaps you may have used them in the past - they are detailedimagedot com..

I am a firm believer on getting at the -Source- of all odors in vehicles to eliminate them and not cover them up, etc..
    I have found most of those "bomb" things that are supposed to eliminate odors are only masking the odor with another much stronger one that sometimes is so bad it makes people sick to be in the vehicle..

You are on the right track if you are wanting to find and use Klima-Cleaner.. I believe it is around somewhere perhaps, but I cannot find it either at this time.. I would recommend you check in with that place I mentioned and perhaps call them and see if they will put you on a list or something, to get it when they get their shipment..

I have never seen a White LX570, bet it looks great when it`s all cleaned up !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PDoyle View Post
    .. I`m willing to wash, polish and wax it and can do all of it in a day. No biggie. So, no clay bar huh?
    I myself wouldn`t be Claying it; I`d do a Chemical Decontamination if it needs decontaminated.

What color is it? If it`s a light color (white, silver) I`d decontaminate since rust-blooms look awful on those. If it`s a dark color I`d think twice unless some contamination is obvious.

There`s absolutely *ZERO* chance that I could wash/polish/wax in one day, but that`s just me..

What is AIO and What is LSP? (Can`t find any place in the FAQ`s to figure out the abbreviations.)
    There used to be some kind of "Decoder Ring" here somewhere...sorry to be inscrutable

AIO = All In One; a product that will clean/polish/protect in one step. Note that IME no AIO really does any of those three things very well. IMO, AIOs are basically just "modern versions of a Cleaner Wax".

LSP = Last Step Product; wax/sealant/etc. You`ll need to apply that over top of the AIO since the AIO won`t last long at all.

Also, what are you guys using to get the cracks out of this Lexus leather. The dealer colored the leather and it lasted about, well, a week.
    Discolored/etc. cracking in light-colored leather is a real challenge! While I live with it on darker colors I can understand how you wouldn`t want to do that with white.

Sounds like the dealership tried one of the common DIY fixes, with predictable results. Having cracked leather *properly* redone (and then redyed) is something that will require a truly expert job with the right products. No way I`d ever try to DIY it. Hope you can find somebody to do the work (right) or learn to live with it...sorry I don`t have a good answer, it`s just something outside of my wheelhouse .

Just FWIW, I myself question whether *anybody* can really fix this permanently. It`s gonna crack again because that`s what leather generally does when it flexes. If you keep everything spotlessly clean all the time, and if it`s the kind of leather that can be "conditioned" thoroughly (and often) then *maybe* it would stay OK, but I can`t recall ever seeing that kind of "white leather that`s been used and is still OK after years" IRL.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I want you to have realistic expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    The leather is cracked because the dirt that accumulated on it was never cleaned off, and the abrasion of dirt against it and no conditioning of it causing dryness, and cracked it..
    Just a FWIW, perhaps in the YMMV-category:

I have lots of leather items that have *NEVER* been the slightest bit dirty or otherwise abused/neglected, but still cracked. Soft, pliable, clean and shiny...and severely cracked. The good news is that even after *decades* the cracks haven`t caused any problems other than looking the way they do. The bad news is that living with them on *white* would be a whole `nother matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan F. Thanks this truck rocks. I like the auto shift on the console too. Guilderland NY is just a skip away from me. Too funny. I`m going to follow up on that. I used a bomb once on my old LandCruiser. No go. Good to hear Klima-Cleaner works. There are many air vents in this LX, including heated and air cooled front seats.
    The air cool is a fan under the seats and it works pretty good. But I also see alot of crap in and around the vents so I want to clean that up as much as possible along with the a/c unit and I don`t want to take the dash apart to clean it.
    Researching the leather I find Lexus has semi-anline leather. This leather has a coating over it and the coating cracks. I used Woolite
    on it already so a conditioner would be the next thing to do. I think I hit it a little to hard, some of the leather coating started to peel
    so I`m going to pull the seat out this summer and get that piece replaced. Think the seat sides are vinyl. Nothing is easy....
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, thanks I should know the abbreviations by now. Those are the easy ones. So reading through the lines here I`m reaching for something like an off the shelf meguiars 3 step. Which I`ve used before and It`s not bad. I`m on it. Ya, a wash and 3 coats isn`t bad in a day. We`ll see. I`m getting older. Got to work smart not hard.
    And I`m all over the leather thing. I`ll try to post some pics for the viewers at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PDoyle View Post
    Dan F. Thanks this truck rocks. I like the auto shift on the console too. Guilderland NY is just a skip away from me. Too funny. I`m going to follow up on that. I used a bomb once on my old LandCruiser. No go. Good to hear Klima-Cleaner works. There are many air vents in this LX, including heated and air cooled front seats.
    The air cool is a fan under the seats and it works pretty good. But I also see alot of crap in and around the vents so I want to clean that up as much as possible along with the a/c unit and I don`t want to take the dash apart to clean it.
    Researching the leather I find Lexus has semi-anline leather. This leather has a coating over it and the coating cracks. I used Woolite
    on it already so a conditioner would be the next thing to do. I think I hit it a little to hard, some of the leather coating started to peel
    so I`m going to pull the seat out this summer and get that piece replaced. Think the seat sides are vinyl. Nothing is easy....
    PDoyle --

The people at that place I mentioned are really great guys who have been suppliers for a long, long, time..
    If you are really close, perhaps call them, and see if you can come down and look around..

If I was Detailing that vehicle again, I would still use Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner on all plastic parts inside.
    I have used it for over 15 years and it has always cleaned up plastics, and left a nice finish on them..
    This product is NOT meant be used on the clear plastic gauges, screens, etc..

Then, if I want to further condition the plastics, I come back with Nextzett Cockpit Premium, another great product..
    This product is absolutely perfect for all clear plastic gauges, screens, your personal phone in your pocket screen, etc..
    It has never ever hurt anything on hundreds of German cars alone, along with a few of the exotics.. (Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar)

The only thing I have noticed about the leather in the Lexus, Acura, Toyota, Honda lines is that is is not as thick or robust as leather in say, a BMW or Mercedes..

It appears that they get a "thinner" slice of it from perhaps farther inside the hide so it is not going to be as strong, as the thicker, outer part of the hide..
    Especially if it is -"perforated"- as you have already noticed.. Please be careful, you can hurt it, and then you have to see if it can be repaired or replaced..

Be sure to change the Cabin filter/s in that vehicle..

I am not sure if this applies to yours, but a lot of Lexus vehicles have the A/C moisture drip tube located in the Firewall under the hood..

If you can find out where yours is, this might also be a good way to spray the Klima-Clean up to get the Evaporator Coil, and allow it to really clean all the suspected mold off of it, and then it will all flush out that drip tube.. It is amazing how much better all the German Cars I serviced with this product smelled after the treatment.. It totally removed the mold, and then all you smell is "clean" inside the vehicle for a long time..

Good luck with you new project ! I am sure it will be really beautiful when it`s done.. I really like the style and shape of the 570 line ! Beautiful!!

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

PDoyle- If looking at OTC products, you might oughta look into the newer offerings from Turtle Wax. People here have been quite pleased with them and I`d assume (uh-oh!) that they`d be better than most consumer-level Meguiar`s systems.

Heh heh, you must not be getting as *much* older as I am if you can do all that in one day!

I like the idea of just pulling the seats and having them redone. IMO you could expend a whole lotta resources trying to fix something that`s best replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe give Autogeek a call as Autopia is their sister company I think. The 1Z or Einszett has been closed but some employes and chemist saved the products formulation and started Nextzett instead. So the a/c cleaner is now called Nextzett Klima-Cleaner Air Condition Treatment and Autogeek has it in their webshop but currently out of stock sadly. A link to the product.

https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett...freshener.html

Will be very interesting to see some pictures of your nice truck. Agree that it`s a better option to replace the seats or parts of it if possible.

As accumulator mentions the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution line of products is very interesting and a great price of them for being in the ceramic hybrid family of products. Autopia and Autogeek now have Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution who had thought that a couple of years ago LOL. The TW Hybrid Solution Ceramic Polish and Wax and use it by hand or with a DA polisher. Let it cure for 24 hours and then apply 1 coat of TW Hybrid Solution Ceramic Spray Coating and let that cure for 24 hours. This will give you around 6months of protection. If you want to get up to a year you apply another coat of the Ceramic Spray Coating after the 24h cure time. And you can use the whole line of products with the Hybrid Solution Ceramic line. Or use something else that works good on ceramic coatings. When going with the ceramic products you want to use car soap that leaves nothing behind as in protection and glossenhancers. Or if it`s leaves something behind as in protection and glossenhancers it should work with ceramic products. It`s just to keep the performance from the Hybrid Solution Ceramic Spray Coating on top so you don`t use a product that degrade the performance from it. If you like Meguiars they also have gotten into doing hybrids of ceramic products. Megs Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax is a new product that the testings seems to be promising. From the videos I have seen it`s wipes off incredible easy. A new ceramic QD has they also just released. They have the easy to use spray on rinse off products which I like a lot Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax is it called. I like the new version of Gyeon Wet Coat as it`s not so finicky to different weather conditions when you apply it. Others that I have used and likes is Sonax Spray and Seal and Carpro Hydro2 lite or concentrate. Fast and easy to use and 3-4 months later or when you are able wash the truck ad a coat every 2 months for a great performance from it. If you don`t get the paint deep cleaned they last about this long. But with a decon wash you get a little more longevity from it and ad polishing your paint you can get 4-5 months longevity from them. Either way try to test out some new products for polishing and protection as they have developed really great in the ease of use.
    Decon wash I would go with a tar remover for under the side windows and the back of the car. Follow up with an iron remover. And finishing with a prep wash product like Poorboy`s World Stripper Wash or McKees 37 Coating Prep Wash. Now you have as a clean paint as possible without claying the paint. Look up so the products is good to use on your chrome trim. You can use a polish if you do a baggie test on the paint and it feels smooth. Useing a clay bar and a good clay lube you should not be getting any noticeble or too bad clay marring. And the ones you get you can get with a polish if you want to. It will clean up the paint and give you a good shine without any claying too. And when the spring comes you can do the mechanical decon with claying and polishing and protection then.

/ Tony
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info. I am looking forward to a spring cleaning, but for now I took advantage of a 60 degree day in the north east and used some stuff I had laying around inside one of my cabinets to wash, prep and wax the truck. I`m still looking at the best leather applications to clean the seats.
    Pics attached. There wasn`t much paint correction needed. I used a little bit of silver polish the chrome. It came out great.
    Out door pics when the weather permits and I add a front lip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PDoyle --
    Wow ! That Lexus looks great !!! You really did a great job !

For leather, I have tried and seen a lot of leather cleaners come and go. Some cleaned, some just added stuff that I`m not sure what it did, but it made more work..
    The only product i have ever seen that actually just -cleans- without making a lot of extra work getting it all off has been--
    Z-9 LEATHER SOFT SPRAY CLEANER Product #: Z-9 $10.95 zainostoredotcom if you have never heard of them before..

It is a spray on liquid product; I have seen it remove extreme brown grime from leather seats using my Steamer through a clean, white, cotton towel, and it has never hurt leather from all American and European vehicle interiors..

Yes, there are a zillion leather cleaners out there, and I am sure there are many really good ones, no doubt.. But I prefer to only use proven, with years/decades of history, products, that still work perfectly today..
    They also make a Leather Conditioner that can be used after cleaning, and I also use this for Clients who want a little Leather Fragrance inside the vehicle.

If they do not prefer a Leather Fragrance, I have another product made by the people who make leather hides including automobile interiors, that they recommended to me I believe around 15 years ago, that is very nice and leaves no fragrance.. It made sense to me to go the people that make the hides and ask them what would be the best conditioner for them, and they actually sold a product.. It has also been a great asset for me and it is also very good on leather furniture if you happen to have a lot of that..

Your bottle of Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax will be a really good product for protecting your paintwork over the winter..
    Have used a lot of that over the years, and it has always been great for those vehicles that have to endure outside weather..

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PDoyl- Glad you were able to take advantage of the warm weather and get it all cleaned up and protected, and *really* glad that you`re happy with how it turned out! That 845 oughta keep it nice for a good long time.

Stokdgs- Whose unscented leather stuff are you using? (Not that I expect to buy more Leather Care Stuff in this lifetime, but others might feel the way I do about the scent.)

Post Thanks / Like

Looking great your LX570! And 845 is a good wax that will be doing well until the spring.

I like the combo of Ultima Interior Schampoo Gel and Ultima Interior Guard Plus. The benefit is that it can be used on pretty much all of the interior carpets and vinyl and plastic and leather. Also they are very concentrated and still effective and gentle. The UIGP goes a long way and with just the little bottle you have an interior protectant for a long time. It would be something that`s better on the sensitive gauges and screens but there also Ultima has you covered with their Ultima Screen Cleaner and Protectant Bundle. I don`t have had or worked on much leather. It`s an extra feature on most vehicals sold here in Sweden for some strange reason LOL. But look up the UIGP and you will see they who uses it on leather seats that it gets an unique feel from useing it that many likes and keep on to useing. It`s pretty durable as well too and I like the smell from the UISG which is like a leather scent I think but it`s not overwellming on you. Then you have many options today to go with like everything else. Gyeon has some great reviews of their leather products that`s more new technology with coating lite and coating for leather with a long durability from them. And also some brands that just do leather maintance products.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-6022.html

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-6104-110.html

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ulti...n-protect.html

/ Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information