Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New mid engine Corvette. July 18th.

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New mid engine Corvette. July 18th.

I`m excited to see the final product, but I hope it isn`t priced out of what made it so great in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`m excited to see the final product, but I hope it isn`t priced out of what made it so great in the first place.
    The corporate line so far has been "If you can afford a C7 Grand Sport, you can afford a C8" so likely around $70k to start, give or take.

That said, I wouldn`t touch a C8 for the first few years. They`re still having issues with C7 8-spd auto trans that a variety of service bulletins and `fixes` have failed to address over the last few years. The C8 has been delayed already due to electrical issues and twisting frames on the ultimate `Zora` C8 test mules.

Aside from what will likely be some significant teething issues, I find the thing just plain fugly. Front half up to the back of the doors is ok but from there back 8 think is ridiculous looking. Just IMO though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    The corporate line so far has been "If you can afford a C7 Grand Sport, you can afford a C8" so likely around $70k to start, give or take.

That said, I wouldn`t touch a C8 for the first few years. They`re still having issues with C7 8-spd auto trans that a variety of service bulletins and `fixes` have failed to address over the last few years. The C8 has been delayed already due to electrical issues and twisting frames on the ultimate `Zora` C8 test mules.

Aside from what will likely be some significant teething issues, I find the thing just plain fugly. Front half up to the back of the doors is ok but from there back 8 think is ridiculous looking. Just IMO though.
    Yeah, $70k is not something I want to pay for a Chevy. I`m still amazed at people paying $60k for pickups too.
    Likes dwaleke, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, $70k is not something I want to pay for a Chevy. I`m still amazed at people paying $60k for pickups too.
    Will say that our 2004, aside from 2 window regulators, gave us ZERO problems in 65k miles, 15 years.

I don`t expect our 2019 to be as trouble-free though. Far more complex in many ways than the 2004.

Post Thanks / Like

Will say that our 2004, aside from 2 window regulators, gave us ZERO problems in 65k miles, 15 years.

I don`t expect our 2019 to be as trouble-free though. Far more complex in many ways than the 2004.
    My 2011 has been great as well. To me it is the pinnacle of gas powered cars. Light, reliable, no stupid tech (18 speed transmission, direct injection, infotainment system that runs everything in the car, etc). And it`s silly fun to drive.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The C5 is a really reliable car . Really the only issues are the oil pressure switch. Then the first couple of years the crappy brake module.

beyond that the problems that may happen are things that happen across all makes over time. Including plastic window regulator parts that get brittle and break.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t forget all the overheating issues that plagued early C7`s in addition to the problems you mention. It took them several model years to fix those problems. All this points to early owners being beta testers for Chevrolet. No thanks.

From the few leaked images and all the shots of the car in camo, I don`t mind the front and the side view. However, if the rear end is that squished Camero look seen in the leaked photos of the blue car is real, Chevy took a significant step backwards in the design of the Vette. I`m hoping that one picture isn`t real or a deception campain by Chevy. I thought the rear view of the C7 is amazing. Add the wide hips of a Gran Sport/Z06/ZR1 (or even the C7.R) and that look gets even better. The new C8 rear end looks terrible, if real. Chevy has really struck out on exterior design lately as was seen with the Camero being re-designed in the front after only one model year.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not a huge fan of Corvette`s, and not at all of Chevy, but I can defend them on this one. If you think of Chevy`s as a whole, I`d agree. I`ve never driven a Chevy in any trim level I felt was worth the sticker price they were asking and I`d never pay more than $30K for one...if that. The prices of trucks are silly simply because people will pay that amount...right up until the $20K rebates land at the end of the month. However, you can`t think of a Vette as a regular Chevy. It`s really its own brand within GM and Chevrolet. While the interior doesn`t look like what you`d expect from a $70K car, all of the money goes into the performance bits. Building a beast that performs like even a ZR1 Vette is not cheap, and you have to factor in the R&D costs in addition to manufacturing. The very nature of the Vette vs the rest of the Chevy line up (or even GM) means there is very little cost sharing possible with any other vehicle. It isn`t like the frame, suspension, transmission, cooling, braking, or even some versions of the engine (if any?) are used elsewhere. They are all one-off`s developed and made solely in the Vette.

I`m actually surprised they don`t charge more for the lower trim levels. I`d love to see what profit margin is on Vette`s. I`m sure its nothing like a truck or SUV.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes BudgetPlan1, DAC17 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No manual transmission. Deal killer.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t forget the stealership mark ups.

Post Thanks / Like

So no comments on this yet? I just took a quick look at the Chevy website, it`s kind of weird seeing the first Corvette in over 50 years or maybe ever that doesn`t have a long hood...although it has all the recent `Vette styling cues, it`s just doesn`t "look" like a `Vette due to the proportions.

Post Thanks / Like

Base model`s 60k, it looks NSX`ish to me. I would have never guessed it was a Vette if the video didn`t say. It`s absolutely insane that there`s a mid-engine car with this kind of performance for $60k. I really like the old Stingrays, but I`ve never been a Vette guy *shrug* I`d probably take a Hellcat over this, but it`s a nice looking, very different looking Corvette.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was Don Sherman on Autoline After Hours who said they would keep making the current `Vette alongside the new one for some time (maybe a long time?) for the "purists". For people who follow GM, to me this is reminiscent of the Buick T-Types of the 80`s or the "Arts and Science" styling Cadillac adopted with the CTS in 2003--an attempt to thread the needle and bring in younger customers without completely losing the older ones. (Yes, there were some other eras that I left out, the "touring sedans" at Cadillac and Olds in the 90`s, and I`m sure plenty other stuff I forgot)
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It looks much better than what the leaks suggested and the performance is impressive. No wonder the Camaro has stunk. The A and B teams were working on this instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information