Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New mid engine Corvette. July 18th.

Decades later Zora is finally getting his Vette.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    I had an 86 Fiero, it was such a fun car. Except when it rained! Rear wheel drive plus all the weight in the back. Made for exciting driving. But, for all the wrong reasons.
    It was certainly an interesting car on several levels...in one respect it was a GM parts bin car, with an X-body drivetrain turned around the other way. In another respect it was completely opposite of the usual GM committee-think in that one guy pretty much had control of the whole project. And it was kind of revolutionary at the time for the RIM body panels on a space frame, which were said at the time to have reduced tooling cost and therefore would allow for easier (more frequent) styling changes (not to mention the dent resistance, sort of). That technology would ultimately wind up with Saturn.

On the other hand I worked with a guy who hated his Fiero so much that he claimed to have paid someone to arsonize it (is that a word?) for the insurance money.

Post Thanks / Like

The best part of the fiero was the assclowns at GM put the iron duke in that thing. Arguably the worst sounding motor ever made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The best part of the fiero was the assclowns at GM put the iron duke in that thing. Arguably the worst sounding motor ever made.
    They later put the 2.8 60° V-6 in it. You know, the Fiero wasn`t supposed to be a Firebird or Corvette, it had the Iron Duke because that was the X-body base engine, and the car used the X-body drivetrain. Judge the car for what it was, it was a low-priced sporty car, and as I stated earlier, they were fleshing out some new concepts for GM, one of which was the development of a car that bypassed some of the development (i.e., management) and tooling processes that were standard at the time to get to market quicker and cheaper.

Did you have one? Have you ever been in one? Seen one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    They later put the 2.8 60° V-6 in it. You know, the Fiero wasn`t supposed to be a Firebird or Corvette, it had the Iron Duke because that was the X-body base engine, and the car used the X-body drivetrain. Judge the car for what it was, it was a low-priced sporty car, and as I stated earlier, they were fleshing out some new concepts for GM, one of which was the development of a car that bypassed some of the development (i.e., management) and tooling processes that were standard at the time to get to market quicker and cheaper.

I`ve been employed by GM Dealers since the 70`s and I agree, Setec.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

I don`t recall driving one, I have ridden in a few as a close friend was a fiero guy.I don`t really care what GM`s excuses for the iron duke were. Its a great motor actually, but not for a sports car. Was the Fiero better than the crap GM was turning out at the time, probably. There were plenty of other better choices at the time, specifically the MR2 which was just a way better car. And I say that as someone who owns a C6 and has owner 5 or so 6 GM cars. In fact, I`ll pour some more gas on the fire, while I love the way my C6 looks and drives, it is such a poorly finished car that it is almost charming, like a Harley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    In fact, I`ll pour some more gas on the fire, while I love the way my C6 looks and drives, it is such a poorly finished car that it is almost charming, like a Harley.
    I don`t disagree. While I haven`t looked at a C6 recently, I`ve noticed this on several recent GM products I`ve driven lately. To be fair, I`ll also say GM isn`t alone. While car shopping recently I test drove a brand new Mustang GT. None of the major panels had even pannel gaps and the entire hood was mounted off center. The gap between fender and hood on the passenger side were noticeably larger than the gap on the driver side. Both doors were not mounted level. A brand new Mustang Bullit parked next to it was even worse. The rear 3/4 panel was off set and actually sticking out from the rest of the car on the passenger side. The rear bumper cover was very crooked. None of the external lines matched up. I was quite shocked at how poorly both of those $50K cars were assembled.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information