Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New mid engine Corvette. July 18th.

Funny.... From GJ

Likes Coatings=crack, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

GM with all their woes needs a mid engine car like a hole in the head. Most of their regular cars just died off due to poor quality and subsequent bad sales. I dunno. I see it as a lack of long term thinking by those in charge. Instead of radically changing the Corvette; refine the one you have and sink whatever extra resources into improving the brand`s quality and reliability.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    GM with all their woes needs a mid engine car like a hole in the head. Most of their regular cars just died off due to poor quality and subsequent bad sales. I dunno.
    Some would argue that is due to the market shifting from cars to SUV`s.

I see it as a lack of long term thinking by those in charge. Instead of radically changing the Corvette; refine the one you have and sink whatever extra resources into improving the brand`s quality and reliability.
    Some would argue it`s exactly long-term thinking by those in charge to shift their vehicle mix. And according to the latest JD Power Initial Quality Survey, Chevy and Buick are above the industry average. https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...lity-study-iqs
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

New mid engine Corvette. July 18th.

I would agree the majority of vehicles being bought today are crossovers / SUVs / trucks. But, GM isn’t lighting the world on fire there either. I dunno about their trucks, but the crossovers / SUVs are business as usual for the most part. Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc are still making all their cars. So, the market may be tighter, which means bottom feeders fall out.

I don’t think the American consumer puts too much credence in JD Power (I know I don’t); it’s “initial quality” - which doesn’t mean a whole lot. Look at those same vehicles years later. Most people keep their new cars for significantly longer these days - you have to cuz they are getting sucked into 7 & 8 year loans and every bell, whistle, and piece of technology possible in a automobile.

I really hope Chevy has the bugs worked out of this thing; but I don’t know. It’s a nice looking car; but seems to me like such a radical shift is quite a gamble.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree the majority of vehicles being bought today are crossovers / SUVs / trucks. But, GM isn’t lighting the world on fire there either. I dunno about their trucks, but the crossovers / SUVs are business as usual for the most part. Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc are still making all their cars. So, the market may be tighter, which means bottom feeders fall out.

I don’t think the American consumer puts too much credence in JD Power (I know I don’t); it’s “initial quality” - which doesn’t mean a whole lot. Look at those same vehicles years later. Most people keep their new cars for significantly longer these days - you have to cuz they are getting sucked into 7 & 8 year loans and every bell, whistle, and piece of technology possible in a automobile.
    I don`t disagree with you. I`ve had pretty good luck with my GM`s, about the same number of problems as my Honda (neither of them have had many). But I know someone with a GM who just has had a bunch of dumb problems.

I really hope Chevy has the bugs worked out of this thing; but I don’t know. It’s a nice looking car; but seems to me like such a radical shift is quite a gamble.
    Eh...it`s not that radical...haven`t they had a transaxle in that car forever? So they just moved the engine closer, LOL. Most radical thing is cooling, but most of that stuff seems pretty nailed down these days. I remember when the C? came out in `84 and Road & Track had a whole special magazine dedicated to it because of how it advanced the state of the art, technically (or they thought it would sell a lot of magazines). I`m not sure this vehicle is bleeding edge any more than many other new Corvettes, although I haven `t looked into this one at all so I may be speaking out of turn.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.chevycorvette.com/corvette-c8-mid-engine
    definitely a beautiful ride and it looks like a lot of european/exotic styling influences. i like it and wonder what ronkh thinks about it.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL at that Scooby Doo, When I was a teen my friends dad has a Fiero, I thought it was so cool. I forgot about it, but like 15 years passed and I was 30 and thought "hummmm how come I NEVER see a Fiero anywhere?" I Yahoo`ed it *before Google* and learned they were one of the worst cars since the Gremlin.

Post Thanks / Like

GM with all their woes needs a mid engine car like a hole in the head. Most of their regular cars just died off due to poor quality and subsequent bad sales. I dunno. I see it as a lack of long term thinking by those in charge. Instead of radically changing the Corvette; refine the one you have and sink whatever extra resources into improving the brand`s quality and reliability.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
    I agree about their regular cars. There is a reason the Camary and Accord still sell, though in smaller numbers. GM and Ford killed their own cars by letting them die on the vine from neglect. Mediocre performance and build quality along with unimaginative features and no marketing drove them into their grave.

The Corvette is their halo car, so it really needed to be kept relevent. They had pushed the limits of the front engine/rear drive platform and needed to go mid engine to stay competitive.

By dumping all their money into SUV`s and the Vette, I wonder if Chevy is going the way of Ford and killing off their cars and simply not making it public like Ford did. Buick and Caddy may keep cars for a while, but Chevy may bow out of the market by simply not building the next generation of each car similar to what is happening to the Camaro (if the rumors are true). Of course that would make Chevy and GMC redundant...not far from where they are already today.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of public opinion on this, but I think it looks like crap. I`ve been a long time fan of the Corvette, and this style change makes me want to hurl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Of course that would make Chevy and GMC redundant...not far from where they are already today.
    GM has long been accused of too much redundancy...hence the pruning of Olds in the early 00`s, and Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, Saab after the bankruptcy.

As far as your earlier comment about Chevy killing off all their cars just not making it public...I think the elimination of the Volt, Cruze, and Impala was pretty public. The only "regular car" they have left is the Malibu.

PS In my mind GMC and Chevy have always been redundant--has their ever been a distinct platform in either brand that wasn`t sold by the other? I think GMC was always just a way for non-Chevy dealers under the GM umbrella to sell trucks, also.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally when my Cadillac is gone. Most likely it will be my last GM. Yes it is 15 almost 16 years old. I have had my fair share of problems with it. But nothing I wouldn`t deal with form any other manufacture. Except for one problem. That just irks me. The front lights are a travesty of design. The simple ones to change are the turn signals. To replace these the easy way.

All you need to do
    Remove the tire
    Remove the finder liner so you can access the back panel of the turn signal light housing.
    Disconnect the wire harness,
    Remove the 6 screws
    Open back panel of light box and then remove Bulb.
    Change Bulb and reverse process to put it all together.

10 minutes with proper tools. Might as well do the other turn signal since I have the tools out. 20-30minute job.
    My Hyundai, I can change both signal bulbs in under 5miutes. Headlight about the same to time. Plus, I could do the on the side of the road if had to.
    I told my wife if a headlight goes we are trading it in. I have to remove the whole front bumper just to replace a headlight.
    Safety is not a concern if this how they are designed. I would hate to be on a long road trip with no tools and have to change a simple bulb.

ok rant is over.
    If I won the new Vette I would be love to have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Personally when my Cadillac is gone. Most likely it will be my last GM. Yes it is 15 almost 16 years old. I have had my fair share of problems with it. But nothing I wouldn`t deal with form any other manufacture. Except for one problem. That just irks me. The front lights are a travesty of design. The simple ones to change are the turn signals. To replace these the easy way.

All you need to do
    Remove the tire
    Remove the finder liner so you can access the back panel of the turn signal light housing.
    Disconnect the wire harness,
    Remove the 6 screws
    Open back panel of light box and then remove Bulb.
    Change Bulb and reverse process to put it all together.

10 minutes with proper tools. Might as well do the other turn signal since I have the tools out. 20-30minute job.
    My Hyundai, I can change both signal bulbs in under 5miutes. Headlight about the same to time. Plus, I could do the on the side of the road if had to.
    I told my wife if a headlight goes we are trading it in. I have to remove the whole front bumper just to replace a headlight.
    Safety is not a concern if this how they are designed. I would hate to be on a long road trip with no tools and have to change a simple bulb.

ok rant is over.
    If I won the new Vette I would be love to have it.
    You should check out some german stuff some time. On some Audi`s you have to remove engine parts to get to the bulbs!
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally when my Cadillac is gone. Most likely it will be my last GM. Yes it is 15 almost 16 years old.
    Yeah, I think I`ve bought my last GM, too.

I had to do one like that...I just cheated it and pulled the bumper cover back because it was all beat up anyway...pretty ridiculous. If it`s any consolation with the newer cars with the LED lights are smaller and maybe more room to access...and hopefully won`t need to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    New mid engine Corvette. July 18th.-th6dva4s9l.jpg
    I had an 86 Fiero, it was such a fun car. Except when it rained! Rear wheel drive plus all the weight in the back. Made for exciting driving. But, for all the wrong reasons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information