Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Replaced The Beater Truck Today

So I believe it was time to retire my old S10 from my fleet. It had served me very well, but the motor is getting tired (starting to knock cold and use ALOT of oil) and being 2wd wasn`t very useful. I started searching for 4wd trucks and I found a nice 05` Colorado, or so I thought. It was rotted pretty good underneath, fact the bumper was only held together by the plastic trim. I had also seen this truck online last night listed for above my budget, but hey I`m a sucker for dealership punishment. From the pictures I could tell they had it a long time (For a dealership anyways, there was snow on the truck. Last snow we had was very early March). Being a Tacoma they`re way overpriced anyways, but I worked some magic and it came home with me.

It`s a 2009 and has right at 130K on it. Previous owners took decent care of it. It had the leaf spring and frame recall done. They didn`t replace the frame as it came from Virginia so it wasn`t too bad so they just gooped undercoating on. The exterior needs lots of help as it has the typical white Toyota SS fade, but that`s not too much of an issue. It has the TRD Offroad package, so it has all kind of goodies for offroad and inclimate weather! I`m super excited (even after blowing the budget...) and it actually goes up the mountain without struggling like the S10!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replaced The Beater Truck Today

Nizmo !
    Congrats on a very nice TRD Tacoma !!
    Looks great !
    Really clean inside - definitely looks like they used it - gently -
    And, it even has a Bedliner!
    Hope it all goes great for you; love that it has the V6..
    Dan F
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

good luck with this truck

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Taco. I will miss the thread on the old truck!
    Likes Nizmo, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Nice looking truck!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Nice truck. IMO the taco is the perfect size truck. Most are just too damn big. I had a first gen Tundra and it was an awesome truck.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 2 standard cab 2010 taco at work with 4 cylinder engine and 230K miles and still runs good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! For a midsized truck it really feels big, honestly. And it sure does seem to sit high, remind me of the old work vans at my old job! I was a little intimidated pulling into a parking spot at Sheetz (gas/convenience store chain in my area) at first, but I guess I`ll get used to it. It`s a little floaty going down the road, but this is my first 4wd truck, so I`m just gonna have to get used to this thing. It`s nice to have a truck with a V6 and automatic again. I love my manuals, but I`ll reserve it for the fun car. That and if mother needs to use it to get to work in bad weather, it`s a little easier (now, her getting in with both hips replaced, that`s a little different, lol).

The more I look at it, it`s going to need alot of detail work! Should be an interesting journey...
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

NIce Ride !!

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hey, I think that`s a great upgrade over the S10! You *did* try to save that one, but this is just so much better...

Hope your Mom`s hip replacements go well, they have some cool new techniques for that which minimize recovery downtime by a huge margin compared to the old ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Hey, I think that`s a great upgrade over the S10! You *did* try to save that one, but this is just so much better...

Hope your Mom`s hip replacements go well, they have some cool new techniques for that which minimize recovery downtime by a huge margin compared to the old ways.
    Yea it served me well and never left me stranded, but onto bigger and better things I recon. I had someone look at it Friday night and they were amazed how clean it was under the hood. They wanted it, but due to PA`s strange titling laws we have to everything at a notary/title place. Figure they would have changed their mind, but just got a text a little bit ago.

She had the first one done back in 2016 and the other one last year. Its been a struggle, but take it day by day. I get home about the time she leaves for work, so the other day I walk back into the kitchen after cleaning up and the truck was gone. Heh, shouldn`t have given her a set of keys, I can`t keep her out of it

Already plan on ordering a new set of tires, I really don`t like the ones on it and they are doing the famous Michelin crack. I did notice a little bit of a blower motor tick under the dash, well I found out why. This is what a 130K cabin filter looks like!

Yea, it`s completely caked. Here we go again on my used truck adventures!
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Sure glad to hear your Mom is getting around OK.

What`s this "Michelin crack" you mentioned? I`ve run them on all my trucks (and many sedans) and I`ve never experienced that.

And heh heh...about time that cabin filter got some attention, huh?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, as of late it seems alot of people have problems with Michelin tires age cracking/dry rooting before wearing the tread. This is on alot of vehicles not driven as much as the average, so your mileage may vary (heh no pun intended). The set on mine have good tread, but are cracked to Hell and back. There`s also a nice vibration I`ve narrowed down to the tires. I`ve decided to go with a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T G015`s. A combination of great tread and price. Just sold the S10 so I`ll order them tomorrow to hopefully have them on this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Huh, that`s interesting, especially as the Tahoe only gets driven when a big SUV is the right tool for the job. My wife`s car has Pilots, but gets driven all the time. I oughta go check the spare for the Crown Vic, it has a Pilot A/S on it that`s getting kinda old.

By the sound of it, you want some kind of A/T capability, maybe that`s the diff, mine are all about handling, even the ones on the Tahoe, so they`re probably very different. I wore the last set out with zero signs of cracking, just weird wear from my high inflation pressures.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, it is a pretty common thing; you`ve gotten lucky!

This is what mine look like (yea I`m going to have to refinish these wheels...)

And you can see tons of tread, but is just starting to separate. That is a big no for me, once it starts getting hot outside I feel they`ll be a ticking time-bomb!

It goes in for new tires tomorrow. Gonna see how a set of Yokohama`s do on the truck. I had a set on my old Jetta that were good in the snow, so we`ll see!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information