Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replaced The Beater Truck Today

Nothing much has change with the truck. But I did score a set of 2019 Tacoma TRD wheels and tires with about 5K on them.

(yes I know the GTI is filthy, rural PA roads will do that...)

My old wheels are corroded and flaking bad and the tires I bought also are terrible. Was going to repaint the wheels and replace the tires, but a member on the Tacoma forum was selling his old setup for less than the tires I wanted. I figure if I get a year out of them I`ll be doing good. Too cold to install today, but I`ll get them on tomorrow.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hey, great find there! Much better way to go IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Installed the tires/wheels today. Also got a chance to clean up the truck halfway decent. I swear I spent an hour pressure washing the frame and body!

And just a sample of how nasty the old wheels were. Most looked this corroded and chipped.

IMO it looks like a whole different truck. Gray wheels aren`t everybody`s taste, but I like it. Also surprised once cleaned up the truck still shines decent. Got a bottle of Collinite 845 to try in the spring after another quick polish.
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- It does indeed look good! White is just perfect for such vehicles IME.

I`d use the old wheels for winter, with some ice-compound tires

IF you`re concerned about frame rot, I`d just treat it now before it gets terminal. Yeah, easy for me to say, but really...you might be surprised how well stuff like Eastwoods Frame Coater works (yes, even on already-rusting ones).
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately for me I can`t touch the frame until July 2021. They did their coating back April of 2019 and in order to keep the 12 year frame warranty I can`t touch the stuff. It`s peeling and cracking in several places right now. Best I can do is keep it washed and when I go to the dealer for a transmission service in the spring I`ll have them do another frame inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- OK, far be it from me to encourage [screwing] up the warranty. ALTHOUGH...I bet they`d never even know you sprayed that stuff inside the frame...I mean, how could they? Although#2, if they sprayed their stuff inside there it`d mess up the Eastwood stuff`s efficacy anyhow. Maybe it`ll hold up fine as-is, better than you think. You`re about due for a pleasant surprise!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately they did spray the stuff inside, but it is what it is. Most spots it`s holding up ok, others not. I`ll get a better look at it when my local shop puts it on the lift for some driveshaft and bearing work.

Don`t know why I`m concerned, everybody knows from my history I`ll be swapping it for something else in a couple years anyways

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good with the new rims.

It seem like Toyota like spraying that goop on frames.

My friend Tacoma had the frame replace, leaf springs, and other stuff under the recall. Toyota sprayed that goop everywhere. Now the truck rides almost like new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Unfortunately they did spray the stuff inside, but it is what it is...
    Then I`d be expecting their stuff to do its job. Wishful thinking maybe...

I`ll get a better look at it when my local shop puts it on the lift for some driveshaft and bearing work.
    Heh heh, that`s why I`m all about keeping the undercarriages detailed, so I know for certain what`s going on everywhere.

Don`t know why I`m concerned, everybody knows from my history I`ll be swapping it for something else in a couple years anyways
    Maybe you`ll get over that I used to go through at least one vehicle every year, usually more, but now I`m completely over wanting something different. Sorta weird, like I basically just woke up one day no longer caring about it..."Eh, I like what I have now, and I have too many already!" Don`t even miss the ones I sold off and I`m still debating further thinning the, uhm....accumulation. In my version of a Perfect World I`d have about half the current number (I`m down to 6 now) between me and my wife. I`m actually debating selling the S8 since I never seem to drive it any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my truck back from the shop. Been fighting a groaning and grinding noise for months that`s been driving me crazy. Turns out my left rear wheel bearing was shot. I kinda got a clue when I swapped the tires/wheels and seen/smelled gear oil from a blown seal which took out the grease sealed bearing. Turns out the axle vent plugged up and the excess pressure had nowhere to go. I removed the old vent, put a barb fitting in the differential and relocated the vent behind the tail light, so hopefully it won`t plug again. Shop let me use and recommended my own parts, and between parts and labor was still under $300! I did bring him several extra consumables and extra small parts I thought he`d need so maybe that played a factor. Definitely found a new shop for stuff I don`t want to do. The bearing assembly I found was a Timkin assembly off Rock Auto. Turns out it had the same Koyo bearing that Toyota uses and was only $115ish shipped to my door in a day. Toyota wanted $495 for the same assembly...

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Good on you for finding the right part(s) at the right price...and the right shop too! That sounds like a lot of win to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Starting on spring and summer truck "projects" so to say! The stock headlights were faded and trashed beyond belief. The dealer sanded and sprayed something on them at one time, but made it worse over time. For under $115 shipped to my door a set of TYC assemblies did the trick. Why didn`t I refinish them? Simply the passenger side was cracked somewhere and getting moisture. Not spending hours of labor and money on them when one is bad.

Passenger new, drivers is the old:

Complete:

I have a set of LED bulbs on the way as well. Kinda controversial in the auto world, but I`ll try them. Fog lights are a set of Sylvania Fog Vision 9145 halogens. They are excellent in the fog and snow!

Post Thanks / Like

Soooo the truck goes to the bodyshop tomorrow. Had a large hailstorm here with golfball sized hail. The tree blocked most of it, but yot the hood and fenders. Grandmothers Jeep unfortunately got "destroyed" as she was at the store and they had larger hail.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear this news. It’s hard enough to keep that “new feeling” with a vehicle and then to have something like this happen. Body shops these days can be amazing.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Soooo the truck goes to the bodyshop tomorrow. Had a large hailstorm here with golfball sized hail. The tree blocked most of it, but yot the hood and fenders. Grandmothers Jeep unfortunately got "destroyed" as she was at the store and they had larger hail.
    Nizmo --
    So sorry to hear about the hailstorm doing damage to yours and your Grandmother`s vehicles..

Hopefully a lot of the damage can be repaired with paintless dent repair.
    I have seen this work do some amazing things in the hands of real pro`s..

Good luck with all this, hope you guys are still all safe and well up there in PA..
    Dan F

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information