Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replaced The Beater Truck Today

Huh, I`ve only had one set of tires crack in my life, and those were on the Volvo I inherited (rest of it was in similarly neglected condition), and I can`t remember what brand those were as I replaced them immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I don`t post much detailing wise anymore (with my work schedule it doesn`t leave much time...), but figured I`d update on the truck. It has not been without problems these past 4 months and I`ve spent more than what I sold my other truck for, go figure. First thing was to get rid of the old dry rotted tires, that was almost $700. Couple months ago I was having an issue with a vibration from the drivers side from 25mph to 45mph. It would come and go, just kinda shrugged it off as "normal" till I needed to use 4wd to get out of my muddy yard. The vibration came back with vengeance afterwards. Come to find out the needle bearing the drivers front CV shaft rides on was on its way out; a common 2nd gen Tacoma problem. Issue being since my truck is lifted I could not use a factory replacement. I had to install an upgraded bushing to compensate for the extra angle the CV shaft is now. Parts and labor that was a $500 fix. Month or so ago I had a tire slowly leaking down, figured it was corrosion in the bead the just didn`t clean off well. Nope, $100 later that TPMS sensor was replaced. Waiting for the others to fail now.

Couple maintenance items have been done to catch up on what the previous owner neglected. Spark plugs were changed out as they had an estimated 100K on them which is fine for the Iridium plugs the first owner put in, but the truck really needs standard Denso copper plugs. All 5 u-joints needed a serious greasing and seems to have elimintated 50% of driveline vibrations. Still have one from 65mph to 90mph and I`ve tracked it down to the carrier bearing for the 2 piece driveshaft. The slip joint does need re-greasing, but I plan on upgrading to a one piece shaft in the spring to a tune of $600-$800. Expensive, but will eliminate extra maintenance in the future.

Other than that, just some general cleaning and polishing. The single stage white has come back pretty decent for now.

2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM, trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Thanks for the update!

I think, no...I *know*...I`d have undone that Lift Kit, but I`m glad you`ve got things sorted out.

And yeah on the aging TPMS sensors...I need to replace the Crown Vic`s when I get the new tires mounted (on the new rims I still need to buy).

I sure like how that white looks! Was the ss hard to correct? People *say* all sorts of things about how hard it is, but I never experienced that on my ss white ones.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I can understand your reservation about the lift kit. I know it isn`t the best thing for the truck, but it was installed when I bought it and I actually like a little bit more height. It`s just right, just a little bit higher and not obnoxious. Was actually going to give this truck to my mother and trade the GTI and Camry in for a new `19 Tacoma TRD. She said I was going to have to lift the new truck too and add a set of rock sliders ($1K plus...), lol. Decided against it now, but I thought that little bit was funny. Woman is almost handicapped and wants a lifted truck, heh.

The single stage on this truck is a nightmare in my opinion. So far I spent 7 hours getting it halfway decent and I haven`t done the roof yet! Took multiple passes, but probably one last light polishing session it should be decent. Also even with 2 coats of sealant it is super hard to keep clean and stain free. I have gotten the interior spotless and nobody believes me the truck is 10 years old.
    Likes SWETM, trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Heh heh, I *do* appreciate ground-clearance as I simply can`t take the S8 to the places I regularly go as it`s *slightly* lower than the others, but I can`t help but think how well my factory-stock Tahoe would handle were it about three inches lower (can`t do with that model w/4WD).

That *is* funny about your mother, but OTOH an older lady we know with serious mobility issues finds her SUV a lot easier than any regular car.

BUT, about trading the GTI and Camry for another truck, well..[INSERT predictable comments HERE ]

Interesting about the ss paint being a PIA...wonder why it`s so hard to keep nice?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I know it seems crazy trading off my little fun car, but honestly I`m going for more practicality for one. I think I`ve put MAYBE 1500 miles on it in the past 5 months. That and if I want something fun to drive, I`ll just take the German Miata out:

Been a fun journey on that thing getting maintenance back up to snuff. I seem to get the odd ones in my driveway... But that`s a whole nother topic.

But in the end they wouldn`t give me what I felt the value is (for the GTI) and I`m not about to do another negative equity episode. I`ve grown up just enough to walk away from those situations. I`m trying to downsize as we`re going to have to move sometime in the Spring as the owners are up and selling everything. That was a fun Monday morning phone call...

I have no idea why this thing (the Taco) is so hard to keep up. I don`t want to keep polishing it out yearly, so I might just have to go with a round of PB`s White Diamond once a year. In the end it`s a truck, I`ll keep it sealed and wash it properly, but need to remember it`s not a show vehicle.
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Yikes, I bet that *was* quite a way to start the week! Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Heh heh, 1500mi is a lot more than some of mine get in a year or more! Perhaps you`re being more sensible than Yours Truly

I always liked the looks of the early SLKs! I wouldn`t consider it more practical that the VW, but choosing between them? I could probably go either way.

Hey, any rust issues on the SLK? I`ve heard horror stories, but those often blamed it on the switch to water-borne paint and that doesn`t make sense to me.

Apologies if we`ve discussed this before, but have you tried FK1000P on the ss white? I know...that`s my Miracle Answer for everything LSP-related Heh heh, I thought I could say my Tahoe is "...[just]..a truck, and an old/worn-out one at that", but, well...that Curse of Autopia ya know

Post Thanks / Like

I still enjoy driving the GTI, but the parking lot at work is a scary place. I could park all the way out and someone will still park their hooptie right up to me door.

There`s a small bubble forming on the corner by the passenger side of trunk on the hardtop, but other than that it`s clean. Kinda weird since it`s been garage kept up until this year. I think all the oil leaks have made a good anti-rust coating, lol. I`m of the opinion if it isn`t leaking a little bit there`s no oil.

I`ll definitely keep the FK1000 in mind. I`m about due for some new products in the Spring!

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Oh man, we`d better quit talking about that Benz or I`ll be looking up ads for a 32AMG one

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, I see there’s a nice silver one for sale a few towns over from me. Nice toy car!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Biil D- Now stop that

(Says the guy who`s thinking that all big sedans and a Tahoe is a goofy, uhm...accumulation...of vehicles for somebody who takes so long to do even a maintenance wash.)

I bet I could wash a SLK in no time by comparison.. fewer hinges/jambs for one thing, and less acreage underneath

But the fabled Rust Issues on those R170 cars gives me pause..e.g., that "little bubble".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I bet I could wash a SLK in no time by comparison.. fewer hinges/jambs for one thing, and less acreage underneath
    Only takes 20 minutes to wash and dry the outside. Add another 20 minutes for jamb and engine cleaning

Now washing the Taco, hah, you`re in it for an hour just for the outside. Or maybe I`m being too picky?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Only takes 20 minutes to wash and dry the outside. Add another 20 minutes for jamb and engine cleaning

Now washing the Taco, hah, you`re in it for an hour just for the outside. Or maybe I`m being too picky?
    You`re killing me here! The last time I did a between-washes cleanup of wheels/tires it took me nearly an hour, and I was working as fast as I possibly could on some easy 5-spokes! I doubt I`ve ever done an engine compartment/undercarriage in less than an hour, and that`s during a quick summertime wash on something that gets done before it`s really dirty.

Too picky? Heh heh, nah...like, how much time do you spend on the back sides of the wiper arms where the tensioning springs are? What about cleaning *inside* the sideview mirror housings? I doubt I`ve ever thought somebody was "too picky" about Detailing At least that last one doesn`t need done very often except in the winter.

EDIT: And FWIW, I spend *longer* on the Beaters than I do on the Nice Ones..seems screwy but that`s how it always goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Too picky? Heh heh, nah...like, how much time do you spend on the back sides of the wiper arms where the tensioning springs are? What about cleaning *inside* the sideview mirror housings? I doubt I`ve ever thought somebody was "too picky" about Detailing At least that last one doesn`t need done very often except in the winter.
    Ok, I think you win that round, heh. I guess compared to your average vehicle owner I`m picky, we`ll phrase it like that

Now I might be going way off in the deep end as far as vehicle maintenance (on the truck), but right now I`ve been working on taking apart bolts, fasteners, etc. and treating them all to anti-seize and rounds of Fluid Film. Am I crazy? According to my neighbors, yes, but when I need to work on something simple I don`t want any issues. Nothing like a 20 minute job turning into an all day and 30 pack of beer job because of a snapped off bolt. This happened to me recently on the Jeep`s front brake job. Those pesky capped wheel nuts cost me 2 hours and $60 worth of tools just to have to have the local service station wing it off in seconds and $5. All the front nuts got replaced that day, I was going to rotate tires, but after that I was not touching the rears that day... That thing is headed for the JY in about 3 years anyways as rust has really got it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Heh heh, I won`t say how long it took me to clean the A8`s wheels/tires yesterday At least it wasn`t the *whole* afternoon

IMO your preventive maintenance with regard to corrosion/etc. isn`t a waste at all. You know *from experience* that it`s necessary in your situation so [screw] what somebody else in a different situation believes Like...I *gotta* use anti-seize on lugs, which I learned by snapping off a few due to listening to the "never use that on lugs!" crowd.
    Likes Nizmo, Mary B liked this post

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information