Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 C8 Corvette

I believe China is already the biggest car market and I think they are also the largest electric car market as well, though a couple European countries are probably not far behind on a per capita basis.

I think there are three reasons why the C8 hasn`t gone hybrid or electric.

1. Cost. This is may be the biggest reason. From the beginning, and moreso today, the Vette has always been a car with world-beating performance at a fraction of the cost. When you look at the hybrid hypercars on the market, they are really expensive. Even the NSX, which is one of the more reasonable ones, is over $150K. Fully electric sports cars are much more expensive. Chevy would isolate their costomer base if the entry price of a base model doubled.

2. Tradition. Going rear/mid engine will disenfrachise many die hard traditional Vette fans as it is. GM may have felt changing the layout AND the powertrain all at once may have been a bridge too far and they`d loose their target market.

3. Target market. In the US electric cars are only around 2% of all cars sold despite all the press they recieve and charging infrastucture in the hearland is no where near what it is in major cities on the coasts. Only Tesla has a semi-workable network of charging stations and it still has gaps. Today you simply couldn`t point an electric Vette down and empty road and chase the horizon because you`d run out of juice and get stranded pretty easily.

All that said, who knows what the lifecycle of the C8 will look like. By going rear/mid engine all sorts of new possibilies present themselves. I could see the Stingray, Grand Sport, and Z06 going with various monster V-8`s and then the the ZR1 getting an electric motor parked over the front axle like many hybrid super cars do today. Imagine a 1000-ish ICE engine (like the one rumored to be twisting the frame and shattering the back window) driving the rear wheels paired with a 200~300hp electric motor over the front axle. If you can`t wrap your head around that, Google Porsche`s 919 LMP1 Le Mans race car...it ran the exact same power train. Acceleration out of the corners was mind blowing.

Post Thanks / Like

The EU is pressing hard here to go down with fossil fuels powered vehicals. Goal is to 2030 that no new vehicals would have the power from fossil fuels. And from a developing stand point it`s not so far away. The big problem is to build up the powering these vehicals would need to be recharged or refilled. Bigger cities and where you don`t have larger distances is maybe an easy solution. But take electric vehicals and the amount of electricity they take if 50-75% of all new vehicals would be that. And we know for an example needs to be importing electricity during winter months here in Sweden. One thing that I see would solve the amount of electricity is nuclear power. But that will not the environment crazy people listen to. Also the makeing of the batteries is very polutant to the environment. And also the amount of polutant into the environment based over 10 years or so from makeing batteries for 1 car. Is as much as or even more than a newer fossil fueled car with low emissions releases during these same 10 years. The way they are able to get diesel engines release cleaner exhausts with the fumes running through ad-blue which is urea. The bad nitrogen oxides is mostly desolved to water and nitrogen from the exhaust. One more problem is when an accident happens. If and not rarely the electric cars gets on fire. The fire fighters is just letting it burn out as it`s today. Cause of the high heat when the batteries is caught on fire is the problem for them. The natuaral gas powered vehicals which many busses is here in the cities is an other problem for them as it`s not so knowledge where the safety valve is placed. So they can not go near them as the risk of the explosion. This happened on a buss here in Sweden a couple of months ago. Luckly there was only the buss driver in it and he got out of the buss before it exploaded. He took a short cut on a road with a tunnel that was too low for the buss to pass through it. The natuaral gas tank is placed on the roof. So human errors is unvoideble to have. But the tragedy could be extreme. Just think of an accident where the people can not get out by them self. And the fire departement rescue team can only stand there and look at it and make no one get close to the vehical or vehicals in the accident. Sure there is a risk with fossil fuels powered vehicals too but not as extreme as most alternative fuels we have today. It`s needed to be looked at from all angles to be getting a really replacement for gas and diesel driven vehicals.

Will be awesome to see this new Corvette. And how it`s been accepted by the potential buyers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I hope that the new C8 will be able to run a sub 7 minute at the ring. I thought for sure the C7 ZR1 with the big aero package would be able to, unfortunately a car with far less horsepower still ate the ZR1`s lunch.
    I think the C7`s problem was more than power and downforce. I`ve read/watched reivews from several pro racing drivers who have long complained about the way the Z06/ZR1 puts down power which makes them very hard to to drive flat out.

Hopefully GM was able to fix the frame twist that they were experiencing in testing.
    I don`t know which I find more frustrating, the frame twist or the electrical wiring harness problem. To be finding those problems this late in the development cycle makes me question GM`s design and testing process. Granted, the wiring harness and electrical system is brand new, but they should not have gone on long enough that it caused the release to be delayed. As for the frame twist, I`m surprised the structural problems didn`t come out in the simulation and stress/load testing process long before they dropped an engine into a chasis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information