Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JIS screws

Post Thanks / Like

JIS screws

Are jis screws common knowledge? I thought it was. What leads me to asking is prompted by a call from my nephew yesterday. He was having trouble with a rotor screw. I asked him if he was using a Phillips head or a jis screwdriver. To my surprise he had no idea there was such a thing as jis. I wasn`t surprised he didn`t have a jis screwdriver of his own, but I thought he knew about them. Japanese cars for years haven`t had Phillips head screws in them. They`ve all been jis. Even U.S. auto manufacturers use them exclusively anymore. Using a Phillips head screwdriver in a jis head screw makes for a great chance of stripping the screw out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: JIS screws

Is that what used to be known as a Posi-Driv screw?

And no, are you kidding? You`re lucky if the average person knows the difference between a slotted and a "cross-recess" screw.

I mean even I didn`t know there was a separate JIS standard, I just looked it up (so ignore my question about Posi-Driv)...and I guess that explains how I cammed out and had to drill out that screw holding my door latch in when the lock solenoid went bad.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it`s more similar to the fearson head .

Post Thanks / Like

JIS stands for "Japanese Industrial Standard", which , as the name implies, is Japan`s manufacturing industry metric standard that is "different" than the ISO (International Standards Organization) for metric fasteners.

You are correct in saying that the JIS cross on screw is "different" than a Phillip`s cross on a screw, and yes, you can strip them out IF you use the wrong type of screw-driver. It is much akin to trying to remove a metric hex-head screw with a SAE (AKA fractional inch) hex socket that will, indeed "fit" a metric head, but be slightly loose and, hence, you could round off the corners of the hex head.

Europe and Russia uses ISO metric standards, the United States has SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) for the Imperial (English Inch) system, and Asia JIS for its metric applications. The "problem" is when a manufacturer tries to engineer a machine with components from all three different world manufacturers and their standards, it creates a REAL headache for designers and service technicians. It is one of the reasons that "some" European Union nations will accept ISO metric standards for imported machinery ONLY.

One thing I do like about Japanese fasteners is the use of Hex-head screws with a JIS cross on them on some larger sizes. I would rather use a metric hex socket than a JIS screw-driver to remove a screw, but it does allow the flexibility to use either.

I think though that your point is "How do I recognize a JIS cross on screw from a Phillips cross?" One way is that the cross slots are somewhat "narrower" or "thinner" than a Phillips. Then again, how do you recognize a metric hex head from a SAE inch hex head? Well, you need BOTH types of sockets to tell because you are using the hex of each type of socket as a gauge to tell which one fits better. Sometimes markings or letter initials on the hex itself will tell if it is metric or SAE. You would need to be trained mechanic or engineer who had familiarized themselves with such markings. But with a cross-slot screw, you don`t have such markings, so you again need BOTH types of screw drivers (JIS tipped and Phillips tipped) to use as a gauge and see which one fits better. That, to me, is the "shade tree mechanic`s" way of determining which is which on the screw(s) you are trying to remove or tighten.
    GB detailer
    Likes Coleroad, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

You are correct in saying that the JIS cross on screw is "different" than a Phillip`s cross on a screw, and yes, you can strip them out IF you use the wrong type of screw-driver. It is much akin to trying to remove a metric hex-head screw with a SAE (AKA fractional inch) hex socket that will, indeed "fit" a metric head, but be slightly loose and, hence, you could round off the corners of the hex head.

Thats a a great analogy.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh...another reason why I have zero interest in today`s stuff.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t realize “JIS” was a thing. I did know that different Phillip type screws have different type/size slots. I’ve got at least 4 different screwdriver head sets and I always try to find the one that fits without slipping out. There are too many “standards” out there.

In a similar vein, did you know that German license plate holding screws are a different size than Japanese screws? I bought a used BMW from a Hyundai dealer and they had to go to the BMW dealer to get the correct size screws. A normal 2 minute job took over an hour. We (yes we) took off license plate screws from several makes and models before the call was made to go to the BMW dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, you and I couldn`t be more alike in this respect and our preference for older cars. That`s me embracing geezerhood.

Post Thanks / Like

E-Jag- Yeah, but when it comes to "geezerhood", IMO we oughta..as the song goes...die before we get old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    "How do I recognize a JIS cross on screw from a Phillips cross?"
    Most but not all JIS screws have a dimple on the screw head.

Post Thanks / Like

When did US automakers start to use them (exclusively)? Curious as the `08 Crown Vic, which has a weird mix of metric/standard fasteners, doesn`t have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    When did US automakers start to use them (exclusively)? Curious as the `08 Crown Vic, which has a weird mix of metric/standard fasteners, doesn`t have them.

Thats a typo on my part. It should be U.S. automakers use them too. Japanese makers use them exclusively. Any rotor screw I`ve come across the jis screwdriver fit much better.

JIS screws-img_0347.pngJIS screws-img_0346.jpgJIS screws-img_0349.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM, Lonnie, MattPersman liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shows how the jis screwdriver can even at times work better in a Phillips head screw.

https://youtu.be/3SSLsJNgn4M
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I didn’t realize “JIS” was a thing. I did know that different Phillip type screws have different type/size slots. I’ve got at least 4 different screwdriver head sets and I always try to find the one that fits without slipping out. There are too many “standards” out there.

In a similar vein, did you know that German license plate holding screws are a different size than Japanese screws? I bought a used BMW from a Hyundai dealer and they had to go to the BMW dealer to get the correct size screws. A normal 2 minute job took over an hour. We (yes we) took off license plate screws from several makes and models before the call was made to go to the BMW dealer.
    Yeah, I knew about the BMW license plate screws...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Thats a typo on my part. It should be U.S. automakers use them too..
    Ah, OK, thanks for clarifying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information